New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 BR
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any 6 BR users out there, that use it for Varmint shooting?

I occasionally go to a 600 yd match, and the usual crowd wins with the 300 or the 30/338 Mags.
Occasional exception is an Eskimo kid who shows up with a Savage in 260 with a cheap 4 x 16 Tasco scope.

However, once in a while a guy shows up with a 6 BR and he just walks away with everything. I have been down in the pits scoring for him and watching how small his groups are at 600 yds just amazes me~!!!

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pop over to the Varmint hunters site. Alot of guys there shoot the 6mmbr on vermin. www.varminthunters.com

Coot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire: In 1997 I had a custom Varminter built in caliber 6mm Remington BR! I love it! I had tried for several years to get a Remington 40XB in this caliber but it was by far the hottest selling 40X caliber during those years and I finally gave up trying to buy one and had one built!
Mine is built on a single shot Remington XP-100 action. It has a heavy Hart stainless 26 1/2" barrel that is Cryoed! I have a Jewell underlever safety trigger on it and a tricked out action that requires no recoil lug! The barrel screws directly to the action! One accuracy variable eliminated there! I have a Leupold 8.5X25X40mm scope on it and it sits in a McMillan Winchester Marksman style stock. It is exceptionally accurate with Varmint bullets and the barrel heats very slowly! This being an attribute of the 6mm BR cartridge! Remember the powder volume is included along with the bullet weight in the recoil total! The small powder volume of the efficient 6mm BR is both easy on the shoulder and the pocketbook. The 6mm BR is also exceptionally easy on brass in all ways! My Rifle weighs 13 pounds 10 ounces and with the proper hold I can spot my own hits! You can't do that with many 6mm's. All the folks that I know that have Rifles in 6mm BR agree that it is an easy cartridge to obtain good accuracy with. I therefore declare it an inherently accurate cartridge!
I have Hunted all manner of Varmints with my 6mm BR and I find it lacking in nothing I ask of it! I had the Riflesmith custom size the chamber for the use of the then new-ish Nosler 55 grain Ballistic Tips! It shoots them very well indeed! But it shoots the 68 grain bullets a touch better!
I heartily recommend the 6mm BR for Varminting!
Good luck if you decide to try one!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire: I forgot to add this bit of 6mm BR "my experience trivia". The load development of my Rifle went so well and quickly that I had only used 20 pieces of my brass for load devleopment. So when I decided on a load I had 180 other pieces of unfired 6mm BR brass to fireform! One of the little worries that comes along with handloading. I was worried that if I loaded the 180 brass with my chosen loading then would they be as accurate or shoot to the same place as my fireformed brass test loads! Well I took 10 more new unfired 6mm BR brass and loaded them with my chosen load. They were accurate and they shot to virtually the same place as the fireformed loads! I loaded the rest and used them that first season on Varmints unfireformed - and when I reloaded them the next time my scope sight adjustments did not need to be changed.
Again good luck if you decide to try one!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote