New
Find
Notify
Tools

ultimate 6.5
 Login/Join

<Robin>
posted
What do folks think the ultimate 6.5mm rifle is? I am partial to the Swede but have not dealt with the others. What is the best 6.5 for the heavy bullets like 155 and up?

------------------
Robin
from Tucson, AZ

<Slamfire>
posted
I'm having a grand time with the .260 Remington. I've owned and sold 6.5x55s and 6.5x57s and liked both. Just decided to modernize and solve the ammo problem. I rebored my old .243, and rechambered my Arisaka. I've no idea what you mean by the best cartridge for heavy bullets. The 140s will do anything the 180 grain .308s will do though the bullets are a bit thin for elephants. If you need more than that, go straight to the .50 BMG.

<Wild Bill>
posted
Never used a 6.5, but as far as 155's and up, I suspect the rifling will have a greater impact than the actual case you choose. That said, the 6.5 STW will probably move them the fastest.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The 6.5X284 seems to be the round to beat on the target ranges these days. It's capacity and hence velocity potential is on par with the 6.5-06, but the shorter case seems to provide superior accuracy. Personally, since I like to be a little different, I think a 6.5X348 on a ruger #1 would be a neat round.

The most fun I've had to date with 6.5's is a round called the 6.5 Grassl Rimmed. This is a 7mm International rimmed necked down, or rather a 30/30 with a 38 degree shoulder necked down. It was a re-chambered t/c contender 6.5 TCU super 14 barrel. When I did my part, 100 yd groups were one enlarged hole. A case of me not being able to shoot to the guns potential.

Anyhow, I agree with the sentiment that being able to handle the heavier bullets is solely a function of barrel twist. I don't believe there is such a thing as an ultimate round. The best approach is to figure out what velocity you want, what type of action you want to use, then see what case will achieve that performance.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Bruce Gordon>
posted
The case capacity of the 6.5/300WSM appears to be really excellent for using the medium slow powders like Reloader 19 and Vv560. In 6 months or a year when cases become available, I intend to have a fast twist rifle built around that round specifically for using the 155 grain VLD bullets. It looks tremendous on paper. I believe the 300 WSM round is basically a .348 case updated and commercialized. The heavyexpress.com website has a full listing of calibers based on this case, and they show some efficient velocities which I hope will translate into exceptional long range accuracy.

<Fergus Bailey>
posted
It depends on what you want the rifle for, but for long range accuracy you will find that the 6.5/284 (and the number of variants that have been made on the 284 case), the 6.5x55 AI or the 6.5x57 AI are all doing well in long range competition. A friend of mine has done very well with his 6.5-06 AI and even a 6.5-06 placed very well at the IBS 1000 yard Nationals last year.

For long range accuracy, very few are using bullets heavier than 140 gns in competition. The Sierra 142gn bullet has the same BC as their 155gn bullet, so the majority use the 142 and take the extra velocity. I have personally used the 140gn Amax bullets to good affect and have also seen the 139gn Lapua�s shoot very well in competition.

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/ab/fergus

<Zobeid>
posted
I believe a 6.5mm is at its best as a versatile, general-purpose cartridge. It belongs in the middle ground: I wouldn't try to push it to extreme ranges (6.5 STW??) or use it for a purpose-built varmint rifle or big/dangerous game rifle.

It's hard to beat the 6.5x55mm -- especially if you have one of those great old Swedish rifles to work with. Their like will not be seen again. You shouldn't even think of re-barreling one unless the original barrel has been ruined somehow.

On the other hand, if I was starting from the ground up with an in-the-white Sako action, I would possibly opt for 6.5-08 A-Square (a.k.a. 260 Rem). That's practically a ballistic twin of the 6.5x55mm, but it's shorter, it will go in a short action. It's a necked-down 308 Win, really.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"What is the best 6.5 for the heavy bullets like 155 and up?"

The 160 grain roundnoses should be made to expand at realtively low velocities, so you don't need monster case capacity to push them fast enough to perform well. You do need a fast twist barrel.

A surplus Swede Mauser will handle the chore quite nicely and has a long enough magazine and throat to handle long-seated bullets. I have one and am quite fond of it.

The .260 Rem will easily generate enough velocity to make the heavies expand properly, but I don't like shoving lots of bullet shank down into the powder space of a case. So, the .260 Rem would only be my choice for heavy bullets in either a single-shot (a la TC Encore) or a bolt action long enough to feed the ctg. with the bullet seated out.

My dream is that a commercial manufacturer will start making a bolt action with a magazine length of 3.1-3.15 inches. It would be great for .257 Roberts, 7x57, .284 Winchester, 6.5x55, .300 WSM with heavy bullets, .260 Rem with heavy bullets, etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did every body for get about the 264 win mag or the 6.5 rem mag both good cals for heavy bullets.

Posts: 19612 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I was going to build a new 6.5, I would do a 6.5 x 270 winchester and put a good 6 x 42 mm scope on that puppy. But I have a few 6.5 x 55's and a few 270's. There would be no real point to it for me. But for somebody who dose not have a Swede or a 270 then that would be the way to go. It would be a very good hunting cartridge.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
<jac>
posted
Don't know that it's the perfect 6.5, but for the sake of history, look up the 256 Newton.

<Slamfire>
posted
There is little doubt that in 1917 the .256 Newton was just about the best balance of bore capacity with the powders then available. With the advent of slower burning powders that capacity was increased to the point that a full size 06 case was about right. Now once again it looks like the capacity is being increased. The .264 Winchester performs up to its original advertised velocities when loaded with either of the .50 BMG powders on the market. One point worth remembering though as the powder burns slower the barrel life is shortened. You can equal and even exceed the velocities of the original .256 Newton with the .260 Remington. That is a 129 grain bullet at 2900 fps.

------------------
Guns cause crime, which is why there has never been a mass slaying at a gun show.

<Dejan P>
posted
Hi!
You might not like to hear this but... every Grundealer here in Sweden have some army 6.5x55 handed over to them for destruction. At all time. They are easy to buy for, say, 30$. I,m going to destruct mine soon. Only reason is that we are not allowed to have more than max 6 huntingrifles. I have 6 and want a new. m/96:s are almost impossible to sell so I have to feed mine to a grinder.
Dejan P
Sweden

quote:
Originally posted by Zobeid:
I believe a 6.5mm is at its best as a versatile, general-purpose cartridge. It belongs in the middle ground: I wouldn't try to push it to extreme ranges (6.5 STW??) or use it for a purpose-built varmint rifle or big/dangerous game rifle.

It's hard to beat the 6.5x55mm -- especially if you have one of those great old Swedish rifles to work with. Their like will not be seen again. You shouldn't even think of re-barreling one unless the original barrel has been ruined somehow.

On the other hand, if I was starting from the ground up with an in-the-white Sako action, I would possibly opt for 6.5-08 A-Square (a.k.a. 260 Rem). That's practically a ballistic twin of the 6.5x55mm, but it's shorter, it will go in a short action. It's a necked-down 308 Win, really.

------------------
Dejan P

<Matt77>
posted
That's crazy!!!! Grinding up all those rifles!!!! Tell you government to export all the ones you don't want over here. We'll buy them for 35 dollars a piece, and retail them for 90 dollars. Why waste? Ah, and I thought Europeans were the pinnacle of organization and thriftyness.
Unless, the gov't uses the wood and metal for Ikea furniture, or horse feed, they should send them here.

<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
I use my 6.5 x 55 for hunting just about everything. Including deer and some monster pigs. It is my opinion that the lighter bulleta actually work better on game than the heavier ones. The 120gn sierras expand and stop game a lot better than the 140gn. I've had 14gn projectiles go right through pigs with no expansion.... But I reakon with the right powder / bullet combination they are the best all round calibre for hunting everthing with the exception of dangerous / large african game.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dejan P:
You might not like to hear this but... every Grundealer here in Sweden have some army 6.5x55 handed over to them for destruction. At all time. They are easy to buy for, say, 30$. I'm going to destruct mine soon.

Dear Dejan, sell it mail order to Germany (no big problem in the EC) - you'll get between 300 and 500 Deutsche Mark. Literally every shooter here wants to have one, and the market is drying up.

Regards, Alexander

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite is a 6.5 Gibbs on a Mauser 27" bbl. Shoots 140 gr. @ 3150 which makes it a very flat shooter.Mark

Posts: 109 | Location: Sask.Ca | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6 hunting rifles? good lord! doesn't your government know you can never have enough?

Alexander and Matt are right, ship the blasted thing if you don't want it.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.264 Win Mag

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt the 6.5 X 55 is hard to beat. The 6.5 X 55 in itself is as very accurate and versatile cartridge. In a custom action it may be able to approach the velocities of the 6.5 X .284 when loaded above 44,000. I have often considered doing a bench gun in this caliber, but I am not sure I want to mess with the load development. It still may happen. But the cartridge hunts and busts paper well. And it doesn't eat barrels. It has my vote.

Posts: 614 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to the 6.5-06 AI. I have been using one for about 3 months now and am getting 264 Win Mag performance out of 120 thru 140 grain bullets. Haven't tried any 160's yet. It also does very well with the 95 grain vmax.

Pecos

Posts: 93 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Robin,

Can you say twist?

I have been shooting 6.5 rifles for something like 45 years. My second centerfire rifle was a 6.5X55, and my favorite deer rifle is a 6.5-'06.

The 6.5-'06 is a 9" twist , and it will stabilize 160 grain Sierra RN bullets, but not the old style Barnes 165 Semi Spitzer (gives 4" groups at 100 yards). I usually shoot 120 grain to 140 grain bullets in it. You have to go to 7" to 8" twist to shoot heavies (I think the European standard is 7.87", or 200 mm -- maybe one of our European correspondents can confirm or deny).

The ultimate 6.5 when I was a young pup was the 6.5 WWH, or Weatherby-Wright-Hoyer, which was used in 1,000 yard matches in an earlier day.

I think I would like to try the 6.5X68 as Alf recommended...jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Robin>
posted
Thanks for the information. I have done some work with the 6.5x55 and really like it. Before I posted this all I had done was with the 140s but since then I have begun to work with the 160s and the results are amazing. I am shooting an old CG M96 that had a roached barell so I replaced it with a military barrel from SAMCO and shortened it to 24". I then had an after market (Bold) trigger put on it and had a curley mapel stock bedded. The best 100 yard group is .478" at 2560fps, and my best hunting load is .557" at 2670fps. These vellocities are estimates from actualled chronoed vellocities that were taken at .5 grains less powder. I will continue to tune these loads and see where it gets me. As much as I wanted a 6.5-06 or something like it it is hard to argue with this old lady. I wanted to get 2800fps from the 160s but i'm only 30fps below 2700 now and thats pretty good. What about a 35X55 or 9.3x55? That could be fun.

------------------
Robin
from Tucson, AZ

one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote, the 6.5 x 55 because its just a fine cartridge, that can be had in light rifles. I have several and my favorite is an old Sako Hunter with a 4x Ziess. One of the best hunting rifles I ever owned. I have shot a lot of game with them over the years, mostly deer on crop control. Its just one of those cartridges like the 7mm x 57mm that perform in the field way better that the tables says it should.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.256 Newton. Yes, I've shot one.

Bye
Jack

Posts: 176 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

<grkldoc>
posted
Speed is not the only mark of a good cartridge. But if you are interested in just speed, the 6.5 STW will move them along nicely. I am currently building a reloading database using a peak strain meter. Early results and the particulars are on the "share your favorite loads" forum. The has been an extremely interesting project.
My goal is to use the 120 gr. Lost river ballistics hunting bullets(ballistic coefficient=0.687) and drive these at 3600fps! It really doesn't get much flatter than this for the 1st thousand yards.

<OTTO>
posted
I have 6.5x55, 6.5-284, and 6.5-06. They are all good hunting rounds and I have had some success at the 500 yard match shoots with all 3. 6.5x55 brass is everywhere and inexpensive but slower than the others. 6.5-284 brass is double the price unless you want to form cases from 284 win brass. The 6.5-06 must be formed as no body makes it. Try using 25-06 cases.

------------------
From my cold, dead hands!
Thanks Chuck!

<1_pointer>
posted
PaulH-

What kind of velocities were you getting with the 6.5/30-30 improved and with what bullets? I am thinking a Contender in one of these would be great for deer hunting.

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I like the 6,5 mm diameter. My 6,5 x 54 MS works really well with 160 grs bullets. For the flat stuff the 264 win mag or the 6,5 x 68 with 129 grs bullets are great on sprinbok sized game if meat hunting is not your goal. The 6,5 x 55, x 57, x 64 are all great rounds and with proper bullets and a cool head perform well on game. I know of elephants being shot very dead with 160grs solids out of a 6,5 Mannlicher Schoenauer.

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1_pointer:
PaulH-

What kind of velocities were you getting with the 6.5/30-30 improved and with what bullets? I am thinking a Contender in one of these would be great for deer hunting.

I was pushing 120 gr balistic tips 2300-2400 fps. Same as a 6.5 JDJ, but with a few grains less powder. I did have problems with case head seperation after a few loadings. You might come accross just such a barrel, it is called the 6.5 Grassl Rimmed, I got it and the dies for $150, but sold it a year or so back.

I would get a 6.5X50R if I were doing it again, better brass, and no risk of stretching the frame from high back thrust, the 30/30 is really at the hairy edge with the contender frame.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<1_pointer>
posted
Paul, thanks for the reply. I haven't decided yet on either the Contender or Encore, again thanks for you insite.

<Headstamp>
posted
Hello All,

This is an excellent forum. Was just going to post asking about the 260 Remington cartridge and it appears the 6.5 diameter is alive and well here!

Just want to thank everyone here for the great insight into the many cartridges named in this thread.

Though I have no real experience with any of the 6.5's other than some limited shooting with a 6.5 TCU, I've become very intrigued with this bullet diameter.

Paul, you mention the 5.6X50 Case and that's what I'm having the TCU barrel Contender barrel reamed out to but in the rimmed configuration. Should be an interesting round to work with.

Regards

one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5 STW any body worked with one first hand? What type of speeds do they run?

Thanks

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to the .264 WM.

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Jim Dannels>
posted
I have never shot a 6.5 and had never give it much thought till I went to a 1000yd match. there were 3 6.5`s that did very well.
1 260 Remington, 1 6.5X250AI & 1 6.5-284.
all were shooting 1-9 twist barrels and all thought they should have 1-8 for that weight at that range.
If I were going to build a rifle based on 6.5 I would either go with the .260 or 6.5X250AI &1-8 barrel.
What might be fun would be a 6.5X45 on the .223 case?

<6.5 Guy>
posted
"What do folks think the ultimate 6.5mm rifle is?"

Well, if you mean cartridge, I'd have to say the .264 Win mag is my favorite, although for hutning deer where shots will be under 200 yards, I find myself using my daughter's .260 Rem more and more.

I have rifles chambered in six different 6.5 mm calibers - .264 Win Mag, .256 Newton, 6.5-06, .260 Rem, 6.5x55, and 6.5-284. Out of all of these, I'd say the most practical, efficient, all around usage favorite would be the 6.5-284. It's a short action, high capacity, flat shooting, and accurate round that can do anything the .264 Win Mag can do with bullets up to 129 grains.

I ahve laoded extensively for all of these rounds, and the advent of slower burning powders like RE 25 and H870 are a godsend to the .264 Win with heavy bullets. I can smoke 140 grain Partitions out the 26" tube at over 3,300 fps, and with the high bc and sd these bullets have, this is one flat shooting, deep penetrating round.

My next project is a rifle chambered in 6.5WSM.

posted Hide Post
My next project is also a 6.5 WSM. Will be ready in June this year. Will let you know!

Posts: 9 | Location: usa | Registered: 13 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with 6.5 guy. I also have a 6.5x55, 260, 6.5x284, 6.5-06AI and a 264WM. Either the 6.5x284 or the 6.5-06AI will do anything needed. As soon as 270WSM brass is more available I will also make the plunge to 6.5WSM on a Winchester Featherweight action. I already started the English Walnut stock.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote