New
Find
Notify
Tools

ultimate 6.5
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a .264 Mag all my life. I have never felt like I needed anything bigger for game up to elk. 140 barnes or partitions at 3300 FPS have always done the job. I just picked up a .260 and am looking forward to trying it out this fall.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Mo51>
posted
6.5s are my favorite calibers. I currently shoot several including 260Rem, 6.5x55, 6.5/284, 6.5 Gibbs, 264 and a wildcat 6.5 MAN. I prefer the 6.5/284 for hunting primarily because it's in a light and handy rifle. However, with the 129 gr bullet, the Gibbs is both accurate and fast. The 6.5 MAN was a project from 2 years ago, and although narrow in powder and bullet preference, it's proven extremely accurate.

------------------
Mo

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lilja barrel awaiting to be chambered in 6.5 WSM. I was wondering what you guys are going to do for dies and load development. can quickload project data for this cartridge? Also I may need to "split" a reamer if someone is interested.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
<bearlake>
posted
I think the 6.5-284 is top dog right now with 260REM and 6.5 X 55 tied for a close second. When the 300WSM in 6.5mm hits the gun stores I think it will be hard to beat! As far as bullets go Hornadys 140gr A-Max is hard to beat. A-Max A-Max A-Max. Try it!!

<Bruce Gordon>
posted
Watching this thread develop made me decide to go with a 6.5 for my next barrel. The barrel is 28.5" lg. with a 1-8 twist. Initially it will be chambered for the 260 Remington. If this does not "toot my horn" then I can have the chamber opened up to 6.5-284 or 6.5 WSM.
For now I will start load development with about 300 virgin Remington cases chosen from 600 new pieces of brass that I bought. Initially I am going to check out 140 grain Berger VLD bullets, Lapua 139 bullets, and Sierra 142 Matchkings.
For powders I think Varget and Reloader 19 or 22 should suffice. Perhaps at a later date Ramshot Big Game be tested.
The guys over at Snipers Hide are working on a batch of Savage rifles in this caliber and appear to be getting 1/4 to 1/2 MOA groups out of their rifles after a bit of trigger work. Those Savage rifles really seem to shoot good right out of the box. Too bad I already had a Remington sitting around or I might have bought one to play with.

One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
My next project in the 6.5 world will be a 264 win mag on a p14 remington action. 26" barrel for the ultimate 26 bore.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Man,
You dug this thread out of the old days....kind of funny to see some of the old names that were once regulars to this board.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5's are my favorite caliber. We won't discuss how many 6.5x55's are in residence, but I have military's that I load 140's for at mid-2700's and a Remington actioned F-class gun that will run 142 Matchkings at 3000. Accuracy in all of them is top-notch, and recoil is mild for the performance. I do have a barrelled action that I am considering turning into a .264 Win Mag just for grins.

Eric