New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accurizing a Mini-14?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone suggest a gumsmith (or company) who accurizes Mini-14s? Would appreciate learning if you had your mini-14 worked on and were you satisfied with the results? A buddy of mine asked me for info, and since I don't know I figured you folks might.
Thanks

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know you didn't ask....but IMHO you should strongly encourage him to get an AR-15 if he wants an accurate semi auto. The mini 14 is challenging to accurize and the cost is quite high for mediocre results in most cases. Parts and knowledge for accurizing an AR are so plentiful it's a much better solution unless he's just undeniably committed to the mini-14.

When I looked into it years ago I decided to keep my mini 14 ranch stock and accept it for what is...a 2" at 100yd group plinker.

R

The two most abundant elements in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As another member of this board says quite often, "One things for certain, Two things for sure!!" The mini-14 will need accurizing! And the second thing is Bill Ruger died a rich man duping unsuspecting people!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check these guys out Clarks.

As you can see, it will get fairly pricey to improve the Mini-14; improvements could double the cost of the total investment. It will take more than a trigger job...consider replacing the whippy barrel with one of Clark's at $650.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I have one of the "rare" ones that actually shoots decent. Because of the restrictions on black rifles in Kalifornia I will keep my mini. You all know the guns that are black are way more bad than the wood ones! Maybe we can get the ACLU to sue Kalifornia for color based descrimination! Big Grin

The trigger can be done yourself if you've got some mechanical apptitude and small sharpening stones. The spring under the trigger piece that returns the trigger forward also has to be compressed to pull it. This spring is way to stiff. I used one out of a Cricket lighter stretched it slightly and cut it to length. The secondary sear is what catches the hammer so don't mess with it. It is what causes the longer takeup but stoning it lightly is about all you should do. Don't remove metal to shorten it's engagement.
The primary sear should be filed and stoned. It engages to deep, and is rough. Keep it square though, and knock the sharp edge down at a 45 degree angle lightly. It should not be a clear bevel but just enough for a clean release.
The liner in the forearm can and should be bedded. This should be done to ensure a tight fit when the gas block goes over the front edge during re-assembly. The action can/should be bedded.
Remove the gas block from the barrel and ensure the diameter cut through is round. They usually aren't terribly off but are usually torqued unevenly so reassemble carefully torque evenly in small increments.
These steps won't make it a target rifle but will probably shrink your groups / patterns Wink
quite a bit.
Also check the crown to be sure it's square. I've heard some are off a bit.

My rifle actually shoots the 52gr Speer fbhp well and I have not done all these steps to mine. The trigger will be a huge improvement though. There are some 'smiths who specialize in mini's and my bro-in-law sent his to a guy in Texas. It didn't take to awful long to get back but he wasn't as happy with the end results as he hoped for. I'll try to copy some links here if I can figure out how. Nate

Vandden Berg Customs

I had other links but can't find them and need to get to work!

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try accuracy systems in odessa texas. he did one for me in the 1980's using a 22" heavy barrel chambered in 6x45 that groups very consistant 3/4" groups. Yea I know I've got super ar's too, but I just happen to like mini 14's. with this one I just happened to kill what is still the #1 wolf

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk about the proverbial $500 saddle on a $50 horse.

Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
Bill Ruger duped no one, you twit Big Grin

he never marketed the mini-14 as a varmint gun, it was an anti-personnel type of rifle, and it performed that task pretty well.
I don't expect my SKS to snipe prarie dogs consistently, either.

"I didn't know how many of them it was going to take to whip my ass..... but I knew how many they were going to use......" Ron White

Posts: 92 | Location: north side of DFW | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a Mini 14 and Mini 30 accurized by the White Barn Workshop. Both my rifles were decent shooters before I sent them. Approx 2-3" groups at 100 yds with factory ammo. If yours won'ty shoot that get one that will before you send it off. When I got them back, I was shooting under 1" with my handloads.

They use the factory barrel and did their deluxe fine tune job which included a trigger job. They will put a bull barrel on if that is what you want.

I agree with a post above. If you want a target rifle, sell the mini and get an AR.

If you want a nice shooting mini with out sinking an amount equal to the rifle into it, try White Barn Workshop.

White Barn Workshop
431 County Rd. 2600 E.
Broadlands, IL 61816
271-834-3056

This may be an old area code on the phone number.

NRA Life Member
NRA Charter Member Golden Eagles

Posts: 899 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBGuy:
Can anyone suggest a gumsmith (or company) who accurizes Mini-14s? Would appreciate learning if you had your mini-14 worked on and were you satisfied with the results? A buddy of mine asked me for info, and since I don't know I figured you folks might.Thanks
There was a guy on the Reloading Board who mentioned using a Barrel Stabilizer that he got from www.henrich3.com who claimed his rifle shot much better with it.

I've not tried it myself, and I don't know the guy, but I've no reason to doubt what he said. The design will obviously help a person get a specific Load "Tuned" to the rifle by varying the barrel harmonic.

However, that is all it does. And if the rest of the rifle is loosey-goosey, then the advantage it could provide might not even be noticable.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There's a wealth of Mini-14 info on the forums at:perfectunion.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I've copied the responses and passed them on to my buddy.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For future reference, KelTec make a fine SU16 .223 carbine with the AR gas system and bolt set up. You get a 1 in 9 twist bbl and 1.5 MOA with handloads. Price for mine was $383.

PS it folds and has an integral bipod. Weight is 4.5 lbs.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I sent my Mini 14 to Accuracy Systems in Edgefield SC. They did a trigger job, new gas block and .900 barrel. Had it rebarreled to the .204 Ruger.

They guarantee a 1" group. He shot it once (3 shot group), called me and said he got a hair over .5" with Hornady 32 gr. I haven't received it yet, but I am sure I will be pleased.

Anyway, yes it is possible to accurize a mini 14. But it ain't cheap!

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Accurizing a Mini-14 is like polishing a turd, doesn't do a lotta good and even after your done ya still gotta turd.
My attempt was expensive as well as futile, and when I was done it was still a turd.
Good advise has been posted here, get a bolt gun or an AR. Just my .02cents.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the things that makes the Ruger minis so hard to accurize is that there is a lot of metal that moves in contact with the underside of the bbl. A good design would free float the bbl behind the gas port, and probably from the gas port to the end of the bbl as well. Thius simply is not possible in the Ruger, and so the alternative fixes are expensive and problematic.

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groundhog devastation:
As another member of this board says quite often, "One things for certain, Two things for sure!!" The mini-14 will need accurizing! And the second thing is Bill Ruger died a rich man duping unsuspecting people!!! GHD

GHD, Who said that Bill Ruger duped anyone? I'm just curious as I've never noticed that particular quote before. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBGuy:
Can anyone suggest a gumsmith (or company) who accurizes Mini-14s? Would appreciate learning if you had your mini-14 worked on and were you satisfied with the results? A buddy of mine asked me for info, and since I don't know I figured you folks might.
Thanks

Go to Accuracy Systems Inc. and they can help you. They did for me. My duty weapon of choice is a Mini-14 for very good reasons. After getting mine back from ASI mine will shoot with any equivalent AR15(under MOA all day). I prefer the Mini-14 over any AR15. Lawdog
thumb

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Mini. For some reason, it will always be compared to an AR, which I think is a very apples/oranges comparison in nearly every respect. With very little tweaking, mine is a consistent 2MOA shooter, which is all I ever expected. I believe any Mini can do this well or better with minor tweaks. Check out the accurizing forum over at perfectunion.com. Those dudes have it down to a recipe.

Posts: 131 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use my Mini-14 for shooting coyotes under 100 yards. Does a fine job and handles better than an AR.

Ruger has been pretty open with me that the Mini-14 is not the world's most accurate rifle. When I commented mine was pretty good, my contact said, "Well, you are lucky."

I think Ruger has made some changes to enhance accuracy, but not sure what they are or when they happened.

Like others said, if accuracy is your number one goal, you will be disappointed. On the other hand, if you want a nice handling rifle that is made for a 10 stand coyote hunt, this is the gun.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, The comment about "duping" was a GHD attempt at humor to some degree and also my thoughts to the other degree!!! But then again, I'm an accurracy nut and nothing old Bill ever made "tripped my trigger"!! But he died a rich man. In my opinion, the closest he ever came to producing a great firearm was his "Red Label" O/U's. But that's my opinion and just like 99.99% of us an opinion, I've got an ....... too!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin HOPE Y'ALL LAUGH AT THIS INSTEAD OF J.I.M.S(jump in my ....)!!!The world need a laugh everyday!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groundhog devastation:
Jim, The comment about "duping" was a GHD attempt at humor to some degree and also my thoughts to the other degree!!! But then again, I'm an accurracy nut and nothing old Bill ever made "tripped my trigger"!! But he died a rich man. In my opinion, the closest he ever came to producing a great firearm was his "Red Label" O/U's. But that's my opinion and just like 99.99% of us an opinion, I've got an ....... too!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin HOPE Y'ALL LAUGH AT THIS INSTEAD OF J.I.M.S(jump in my ....)!!!The world need a laugh everyday!! GHD

GHD:

I would concur with what you said. The rifles are nice handling, but never shot bug holes. But I do like them, and I do like the company. On the other hand, the Red Label is my favorite shotgun by a long shot. It is the only thing I can hit anything with.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
This thread has got me to thinking about these little rifles a lot more. I was contemplating a T/C Encore for my son in .223, but with all the terrible shooting mini-14's around I may be able to pick up another one of these and he'd have a great 'Yote Killer!

Seriously, it doesn't take a whole lot to improve a mini. Most dramatic improvements cost very little. Earlier I forgot to mention the most obvious as I was running off at the keyboard. The action should also be bedded, just like most. Replaceing the barrel with a bull barrel is where I'd draw the line. What's so neat about a heavy automatic? Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK Guys! I've given all you responses to my buddy. No need for any further responses as I doubt he is going to spend much money on his mini. I do thank you for the information.

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montdoug:
Accurizing a Mini-14 is like polishing a turd, doesn't do a lotta good and even after your done ya still gotta turd.

Ah Doug, you just have a way with words. Cool

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montdoug:

I was going to post something about a silk purse out of a pig's ear! But I like Doug's response SO MUCH MORE! thumb

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Accurizing a Mini-14
is like the old country song,,, Wasted days and wasted nights! Not to mention the $ IMO. go with an AR and don't look back.

NRA Life member, H-D FLHTC, Hunter Ed instructor, And a elk huntin' fool!

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNate:
This thread has got me to thinking about these little rifles a lot more. I was contemplating a T/C Encore for my son in .223, but with all the terrible shooting mini-14's around I may be able to pick up another one of these and he'd have a great 'Yote Killer!

Seriously, it doesn't take a whole lot to improve a mini. Most dramatic improvements cost very little. Earlier I forgot to mention the most obvious as I was running off at the keyboard. The action should also be bedded, just like most. Replaceing the barrel with a bull barrel is where I'd draw the line. What's so neat about a heavy automatic? Nate

Go the mini route if you want, but do check out the SU16 from Kel-Tec before you do. It handles like a mini-14 and shoots like an AR, but weighs less than 5 lbs empty.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. I hadn't even looked at the Kel-tec. Nate