THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    53 gr barnes tsx bullet for deer?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

53 gr barnes tsx bullet for deer?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 53 gr TSX (First time use last night)worked real well on a neck shot on a 150 lb hog. Entered high behind the ear, and went down and out slightly in front of the shoulder. Shot from elevated stand under lights on bait!!
Entrance was caliber and exit about 1/2 or 5/8.
I worked this load up to do double duty as a yote calling load and night hogs with my AR.
As a youngster in MO my deer rifle was an old savage 340 222 with 63 gr sierra's. it accounted for several very large deer for a few years. As we have a growing population of ferals in TX I expect to test the TSX on many hogs of all sizes this year.

Posts: 164 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 24 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great news! Worked up the same load yesterday for my 223 that double duties also. Kep the reports coming.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
sdhunter,what did the exit holes look like? was there good expansion?thanks don

I don't know how to explain the exit holes. Except they were fine. The broadside shots weren't huge, just a nice hole.

I did shoot a doe that was quartering to and below me. That was kind of messy. Broke the shoulder and came out low behind the ribs on the opposite side. Destroyed a bunch of meat.

I also screwed up on a facing away shot. Went for a neck shot and hit low. Entered the rear ham, broke the leg and exited out through the guts on the same side.

I like broadside through the ribs, behind the front leg bones, not as messy.

Absolutely no problems at all. I have probably shot 18 deer with that bullet and have never recovered one.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks sdhunter thats the kind of info i was looking for.don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Under the feeder on lights last night, I put the 53 TSX about 1" under the ear and it exited 1/2-5/8" about 2" below the ear on the other side.
About 125-150 lbs. of hog--- DRT!!!
On the next hog, I wil prop it up (after kill)and place some shots in the shoulder and ham areas to determine penetration.

Posts: 164 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 24 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
This one is always fun.

ddhotbot,

To answer your question, yes the 53 gr. TSX will work just fine on deer. I have taken a couple here with my 22-250 over the last two seasons just to try them. They both were heart/lung shots, complete pass throughs, one DRT, one ran 20 yards. The exit was quarter sized. That said, I still hunt deer with my 7mm-08............

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
In a thread like this it seems that someone brings up the topic of what happens if a high velocity small caliber bullet hits bone??

I've had two experiences with such hits that I would like to relate.

The first one was with a 22-250 50g Ballistic tips out the tube at around 3750fps on a large coyote at around 60 yards. I was asking a farmer for permission by phone one night and he told me that he had a dead cow in one area of his ranch. Upon approaching the dead cow from below, the cow was on a little rise, I came up over the top and found 3 coyotes on the cow. I thought that I could get all three if I shot fast, so the first shot hit a large coyote male in the shoulder at 60 yards, the second shot hit a smaller female coyote at around 100 yards and the third and fourth shots were complete misses at the third dog. The female was stone cold when I got to it but the large male was put down immediately, shot through both shoulders, but not yet dead. A 22lr pistol shot to the head completed the task. Upon turning over the dead male, I found a hole about 3"x4" on the other side; this exit hole was caused by the secondary bone fragement missles created by hitting the near shoulder. Kind of messed up the pelt on a nice white colored coyote.

The second one was with a .243 using 55g Nosler BT out the tube at 4050 fps. I shot a small buck through the shoulder and lung at around 280 yards and got a flop dead result. Looking at the exit wound I found the same experience, a large exit hole of around 4"x4" again caused by the secondary missles created by the bone fragments.

My experience has been (including other situations) that high velocity small caliber impact on deer sized critters in bone areas has created secondaty missles in the form of bone fragments and has resulted in larger than normal exit wounds, due to I think, the high velocity involved.

If I recall correctly, I think that this is also the case when post death investigations have been conducted on human beings involved with bullet impact on bony parts at high velocity. Not sure about that but think I remember reading something to that effect.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman:
Hot Core--Using an inadequate cal when hit wrong"even More so". To me that has connotations of larger cals having a larger kill zone. That you can make a bad shot and a larger cal is forgiving. I don't agree with that. If a cal regularly puts em down,I consider it adequate. We are talking .22 cal here and folks always saying a 6mm is not adequate.
asdf did a fine job of describing just a few of the things that can go wrong with inadequate calibers. Once a person gets enough Kills with a 243Win, they will also understand what can go wrong with them, even on shots that should Kill quickly. One example is the size of the Exit being so small. It is a real problem when the Innards shift around and plug the Exits. It seems the Entrance Holes plug even more of the time, so a good dependable Exit is a serious advantage. This will become clear to people that make enough Kills.

quote:
So my question is where do "adequate" cal begin.
I was wondering if that would come up. Cool

Bigger is better than small. Faster is better than slow. With Big and Fast the best of all for Killing.

The 308Win you gave your Grandson is w-a-y better than any of the other Calibers he had been using. His chances of recovering the Game are significantly enhanced with it.

quote:
Heck lots of people don't consider a 30-06 as adequate---why else would there be so many .30 cal mags sold?
I do agree that Faster is better. Plus it helps ensure "clean Kills" at distance due to the flatter trajectory, quicker flight and more retained energy. I don't consider the 30-06 as inadequate, but it is not as good as a 30Mag.

quote:
...I firmly believe that was a result of my not exposing him to too much recoil.
I can agree with that, but go with waiting until the youngsters are old enough to handle an adequate Cartridge.

Best of luck to your Grandson, his 308Win is certainly adequate for Deer. Big Grin

Just as I thought.

So mny things wrong here that beginners need to warned about staying away from.

Many many better informed hunters/reloaders would successfully argue that the 30-06 is adequate. And about the .243 bullet holes being plugged up with "innerds shifting"????

Put down the magazines and get out into the field more it will help you alot. Best of Luck.

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
quote:
My experience has been that high velocity small caliber impact on deer sized critters in bone areas has created secondaty missles in the form of bone fragments and has resulted in larger than normal exit wounds

I've read of other hunters (and army surgeons) reporting similar results. I've also read of .22 cup & core bullets going splat on bones, but I can't recall if any those were .22-250 and faster class. The owner of GS bullets reports fantastic success with tiny little all-copper .22s on surprisingly large African game. I will say I don't remember a report of a high speed, all copper bullet failing to do the job. I always keep my ears open for more reports.

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:
...Many many better informed hunters/reloaders would successfully argue that the 30-06 is adequate.
The poster's desire to talk about things where he obviously has ZERO knowledge is obscuring his vision. No one said the 30-06 was "inadequate". It was said the 300Mag is "better".
quote:
And about the .243 bullet holes being plugged up with "innerds shifting"????...
If he ever gets a few Deer Kills with small calibers, that statement will become clear to him as I'm sure it is to everyone else.

Haven't seen anyone this out of touch with the reality of Hunting posting on the Board in a long time. Should be good for quite a few laughs as he continues to make his lack of experience known.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are and will be a lot of Deer lost to inadequate Calibers every year.

If a person can't handle an adequate Deer Cartridge, they should just buy meat at the grocery.

What Bull Shit deer are lost every year to hunters that didn't have proper shot placement!

The caliber has little if any thing to do with it.

In years past poor bullet construction cause some bullet failures in high velocity 22 cals. and still will. This does not apply to the 52gr TSX, or many of the other premium bullets.

Their have been dozens of deer shot with TSXs where I hunt in Mississippi and we have never found a bullet in a deer yet. All the bullets recovered from the ground behind the deer (we hunt from towers) could have been used in a TSX add.

So to repeat myself these people who talk down the 22cal for deer don't know Shit from Shineola.

DR B

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
quote:
No offense, 22 cals aren't designed for deer. I know there are a million people that have done it with one shot kills that anchored them like being struck with Thor's hammer, but those who have had spectacular bad shots rarely speak up and tell us of the late nights tracking game.

That being said, head shots with the 53 gr in 22-250 will take a deer within 75 yds with good regularity. I would look towards a 100 gr 6mm if I didn't have plenty of deer to choose from.

John

bsflag pissers horse

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:
...Many many better informed hunters/reloaders would successfully argue that the 30-06 is adequate.
The poster's desire to talk about things where he obviously has ZERO knowledge is obscuring his vision. No one said the 30-06 was "inadequate". It was said the 300Mag is "better".
quote:
And about the .243 bullet holes being plugged up with "innerds shifting"????...
If he ever gets a few Deer Kills with small calibers, that statement will become clear to him as I'm sure it is to everyone else.

Haven't seen anyone this out of touch with the reality of Hunting posting on the Board in a long time. Should be good for quite a few laughs as he continues to make his lack of experience known.

Tell us all some more about this principle of "innerd shifting". The deer kills I've had with small caibers deal more with "innerd blasting". Perhaps if you ever get a few deer kills with small calibers this statement will become clear to you, as I'm sure it is to everone else.

You need to bring something stronger to this board than "innerd shifting". Either come strong or go home. Frankly I don't see where you have contributed at all to the oringinal thread request.

I always get a few laughs when you post as do others. It's very revealing about the true depth of knowledge and experience that you display. Looking forward to more laughs from your future posts.

I haven't seen this much separation from reality in the posting to hunting boards in 5-6 months.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr B:
...The caliber has little if any thing to do with it....
jumping rotflmo jumping

I'll guess you got that bit of wisdom from a guy in Potato Land. holycow clap

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This past weekend, we killed 4 deer with Tikka .223's (1-8" twist) using 75 gr. Scirrocco bullets. 3 does and one mature buck.

The buck was 200 yards, the does were 165, 65, and 50 yards. All died within 20 yards. Three shots were through both shoulders and left a silver dollar sized hole through the rib cage. The closest doe was a frontal shot and we recovered the bullet in skin beside ham. The weight of the recovered bullet was 71 grs.

I don't know if the inerds shifted and plugged the hole Wink

Posts: 109 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Some people suffer excrement shifting, where it migrates from their rectum to their craneum. homer

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote