New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22-243 or .22-6mm?
 Login/Join

<Al Smith>
posted
I want to rebarrel my worn out .220 Swift to one of these cartridges. Which one is a better choice, given performance, availability of brass etc...? I would imagine the .22-6mm to have a slight performance edge due to greater case capacity, but is it going to be a big difference?

Also, does any one have any data on the performance either of these two cases?

Thanks for the input,

Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 22-243 improved (actually the Middlestead version, which isn't that improved, really) and I get 4000 fps with 50 gr bullets. I remember reading some articles by Ross Seyfried where he built a 22-6mm Rem Improved, and I believe his velocities were about 200 fps faster than mine. i can't remember any details about the rifle though, barrel length etc. If you want to use the heavy bullets in this caliber you really have to select a faster twist than most (22-250, 223 etc), at least a 9" twist and 7" would probably work better. If your interest lies in lighter bullets at faster speeds, the normal twist works fine. Mine has a 27" barrel and the slower twist for lighter bullets. I like the cartridge, but I may change barrels for heavier projectiles in the future. So to sum up, 22-6mm is faster, at this time brass availability would give the nod to the 243. The 6mm remington seems to be losing ground, and I don't know how long Remington will keep it around. At this point in time, everything is still available, so take it for what it's worth. And yes, I do have a 6mm Remington that I like. It's just Remington's track record of turfing things when the sales get low. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Varmint Hunter>
posted
I agree with Dan on brass quality. I only use the Lapua brass for my 22-243AI. The best brass that I know of for the 6MM is Norma 7X57 and that requires a bit more work. The 243 Lapua brass can easily be necked down to .224.
Check you email.
VH

[This message has been edited by Varmint Hunter (edited 01-06-2002).]

<re5513>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Al Smith:
I want to rebarrel my worn out .220 Swift to one of these cartridges. Which one is a better choice, given performance, availability of brass etc...? I would imagine the .22-6mm to have a slight performance edge due to greater case capacity, but is it going to be a big difference?

Also, does any one have any data on the performance either of these two cases?

Thanks for the input,

Al

Gosh, you know with the availability of the 50ish grain bullets in 6mm I don't know that I'd recommend going to a larger capacity .22 case than the Swift. Why not just do a 6mm Remington with a slow twist (like 1/13) and shoot Nosler 55 gr. 6mm bullets at 4150 fps. I've shot hundreds of prairie dogs with this combination and never was found wanting for a .220 Swift or ANY .22 caliber super bore. One unfortunate bunny I hit with this bullet was cut in two, each half landing about 35 feet from ground zero. Also, a 1/13 twist will stabilize a Nosler 95 gr. BT and the capacity of the 6mm Remington case will support powders as slow as RL-22 (yielding about 3400 fps with this bullet) making for an exceptionally potent antelope or deer rifle.

re5513

<bearmanmt>
posted
Al,
Another Smith here from Montana. I have and shoot a 22/6mm Rem. Win M70 Stainless short action, 28" Hart barrel. I shoot 75-80 gr bullets as this bullet range is where these super big ctgs do best. My mild everyday loads (mostly for extended barrel life) give me 3300-3350fps with either bullet. Rx22, Rx25, IMR 7828, and some lots of H1000 all work great. MR 8700 and H870 work great in the summer, but are too temp sensitive for winter use here in Montana.
I have formed all of my cases from Win 6mm Rem. One pass thru the full length dies is all it takes. Champher the case mouths and load. That is it. No collapsed shoulders or any trouble for me what so ever. I use Fed 210s and F210Ms. Don't need mag primers for any powder including the ultra slow ball stuff.
I prefer this ctg over the .22/243 Middlested or any of the other wildcats such as the .224 Clark (altho this is a great one too), .22/284 or the .22/06.
I have fired some of my cases 10 times with no problems. Hope this helps.
The Bearman

<Mike Anderson>
posted
22-243 or 22/6mm, I vote for the 22-243 since I have one. I don't think there is enough difference to worry about it.

Look at some of the tests done that are posted (somewhere here on the site) I think Saeed's work he compares the 22-243 and the 22/6mm. I believe it says the 6mm version requires moe powder to get the same velocity.

Its worth checking out is my point.

regards
Mike

<DuaneinND>
posted
My experience with the difference between the 22/243 and the 22/6mm is there isn't any. Accuracy with most bullets comes at the same velocity levels, so the edge goes to the 22/243 for using less powder.