New
Find
Notify
Tools

.222 rem.
 Login/Join

<sakoguy>
posted
Just happened upom this forum today. (actually 5 minutes ago) I was given 19 boxes of handloaded .222 Rem that was loaded in 1976. I found it to be wonderfully accurate in my 1951 Sako Riihimaki sporter, though it was rather dirty. The load was 23 gns. of BL-C pushing a speer 50 gn. PSP.
After doing a little research I found that this load is an old standby for the triple-deuce. I loaded some of the DWM cases with 23 gns. of BL-C(2) as the old BL-C powder is no longer available, and was very pleased with the results using 50 gn. Hornady SPSX bullets. Haven't tried them out on any critters yet, but soon. An interesting note:
I tried some Nosler 50 gn. ballistic-tip bullets with the 23 gn. BL-C(2) load and maybe it's me, but the cheaper Hornady bullets gave a tighter group at 100 yds.
Hey, cheaper is better in my eyes so I will probably stick with the SPSX bullets. I have heard good thing about the Vhiitavouri powders and may give it a try some day.
(Finnish guns should like Finnish powder, eh?) -Mike

<Don Martin29>
posted
That's a load that I used in the late 50's thru about 1963. I had about 35 lbs of ball c. I still have some. The data was really wrong on that powder. I recall working the bolt on my P-17 30/06 and having it jam on me. (P-17's don't "jam") The primers were falling out of the cases!

That load is a good one but it was dirty. The barrel never did get clean. It was a lot worse in Vietnam with that ball powder in the M-16's. My old M-722 kept shooting.

Use IMR 4198. It works fine and is clean.

Use the special bullets for the .222. Back then it was the Sierra Blitz and the Hornady SX.

<fishnfool>
posted
BL-C(2) is what I use in my .222 Rem. I use 25.0 grs. with 52 gr. Sierra bthp. M.V. is a mild 2950 fps. Groups in the low 4s in my HB M700 Varmint rifle.

[This message has been edited by fishnfool (edited 03-21-2002).]

<Reloader66>
posted
Many more powders are worth a try in one of the most accurate cartridges ever developed the fantastic shooting 222. My 222 shoots great with 40 to 52 grain bullets using IMR-4895, H-322, Benchmark, BLC#2, IMR 4198, IMR-3031, and there are more. My first 222 shot super using the 50 grain bullet with 19.5 garins of IMR-4198 powder. The 222 is one easy cartridge to develope superior accuracy with many different bullets and powders now available. Few cartridges can deliver such fine accuacry in a variety rifles chambered in 222 Remington. If you can't 1/2" groups from your 222 rifle something is wrong with it.