THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Cooper 223AI with 1:14 twist?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooper 223AI with 1:14 twist?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nightwalker uk
posted
Sorry posted this in Varmint section too!!!

OK you fellas, seems as though loads of people are getting great results from the Cooper 223 with the 1:9 twist rate, is the 1:14 just as good? Realise that they maybe will not stabilise the heavy bullets, should I be concerned about getting one with the slower twist rate?

Oh yes the one I have my mind set on is a 223 AI, with the 1:14 twist - what will work in it?? Anybody else shooting this set up?

Cheers

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Your .223AI with a 1/14 twist will work great with 50gr bullets, mine shoots well with both Hornady and Nosler. Do you homeload ? if not try a selection of factory ammo to see which shoots best, if you do homeload it opens up another world of varminting. If you are going for the AI then homeloading is a must to reap the benifits. Hodgdons 335 powder worked well, vit 133 would be another choice to look into, depending on availability
You might even be able to shoot 35gr bullets, they will give great speed and a good splat on your targets.

Work is the curse of the shooting man.

Posts: 23 | Location: UK | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coopermans all over it! I'd guess it's favorite bullets will be 40's and 50's but I'd be surprised if it didn't like 55's as well(not that I care about that, I see the .223 for what I do with it shining it's brightest with 40's and 50's).
BenchMark is a powder I'd definitely try, especially the with the 40 Hornady V-Max (my personal favorite combo in .223) as well I'd try good old WW748.
Perhaps you've mentioned it but what kind of glass are you planning to use?
I hope it's everything your hoping for, I'll be amazed if it isn't.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote