THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Why is the 6.5 Swede better than the 308 Win?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why is the 6.5 Swede better than the 308 Win?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gees guys, this is not that hard to answer
Do like I did. Get 2 rifles, one in 6.5x55 and the other is a 35 Whelen....case solved
Now, do ya'll feel better
Came to that decision after owning an 06 for 30 years.....

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have and like both in several rifles each but if I had to have one, there is absolutely no question it would be the .308. .308 = Shorter action, more accurate cartridge (although that is splitting hairs), and bigger and heavier bullets while having minimal recoil. Why are you asking such a silly question? clap

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey 303Guy, Interesting responses, especially the ones where they gave a reason for their selection.

I'd say it "might" be best answered by studying the Ballistics Charts for both cartridges while focused on the specific "Weight" Bullet your buddy wants to use.

Or, it could be as simple as which rifle he finds that handles the best for him, or one that gives him pleasure just looking at it, then use an appropriate Bullet.

quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
...when going out on a non-specific hunt, one might be lucky to come across something bigger than planned, like a red deer. ...
If you go prepared for the largest and toughest Game you are apt to come across, then that same Bullet will Kill smaller Game as well.

While testing some Bullets, I've found myself in situations where I had to pass on Game that I'd have Killed with a Partition, because the Bullet I was using was too fragile. I knew that ahead of time, so passing on those shots was already thought out.

Or, he might be lucky enough to load a proper and adequate Bullet for the Reds, and also carry another Load with a more fragile Bullet for smaller Game. Occasionally two diverse loads will shoot close enough together that a person can get by doing that. I like to simplify it most of the time though by just going for a Load that will work on the tougher Game.

Best of luck to your buddy with his choice.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey 303Guy, Interesting responses, especially the ones where they gave a reason for their selection.
They are interesting! My personal choice would be based purely on an illogical preference to the shape and size of the Swede cartridge and perceived idea that the Swede is a better varmint choice. But I bet if I knew there were critters out there that could bite back, I would start to lean toward the 308! As it is, I lean toward taking my 25 out knowing full well I cannot shoot a Red deer with it! (Well, maybe I could but I don't feel comfortable about it). So far, the 25 has shown itself to be a better killer of goat size game. It's just such a sweet cartridge to shoot with, is all! I do like the idea of two loads with similar POI. I built a 303 Brit for a friend once, using a new SMLE barrel which is long and skinny and this thing, although it could only do 1 1/2 MOA, could shoot any ammo or load to the same POI! It was light (fiberglass stock that I made - I should have kept the mould) and had a good solid fit.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
...My personal choice would be based purely on an illogical preference to the shape and size of the Swede cartridge and perceived idea that the Swede is a better varmint choice. ...
If all the previous responders were Polled about that being a "good enough" reason to make a selection for one over the other, I'd guess most would agree - because they have probably used that same thought process a time or two themselves. thumb

I've used a 308Win so long, I would feel hobbled without one. Yet, I've no argument with the folks that would select the time proven old war horse 30-06 over it, or 30-30 under it. If I desired to shoot alot of 180gr 30cal bullets, I'd go with something with a larger Case volume than the 308Win myself.

I've not owned a 6.5mm, but have shot a few of them that buddies had. They have relatively high Sectional Density figures for the Bullets that people would typically use on Deer and Hog size Game. For those of us who refuse to participate in the Politically Correct Bullet(PCBs) fiasco, good old SD still gives an excellent "Comparative Measurement" to judge penetration between Bullets within the same Design Envelope.

For folks who have reasons for avoiding Recoil, the 6.5mm appears to have a slight edge over the 308Wins when loaded at a Safe MAX. I do not remember ever hearing a "serious" bad comment about either. Occasional blustering and needling, but nothing negative about either of them.

Come to think about it, most folks who deride a specific Cartridge(regardless of the size) have normally had some kind of Bad Luck with that Cartridge, or they perceive a specific Cartridge just has the wrong Horse Power for the Game they Hunt and how they Hunt it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I have and like both in several rifles each but if I had to have one, there is absolutely no question it would be the .308. .308 = Shorter action, more accurate cartridge (although that is splitting hairs), and bigger and heavier bullets while having minimal recoil. Why are you asking such a silly question? clap

http://findarticles.com/p/arti..._49/ai_95680073/pg_4

Finnish rifle with flair: Tikka's M595 Continental Varminter
Guns Magazine , Feb, 2003 by David M. Fortier, Emily K. Fortier
Email Print
I have to admit I took a liking to the Tikka M595 Continental. It's a handsome and well-made rifle with a slick action. Accuracy was very good, as seems to be a trait of Tikka rifles. This can be seen in the fact the 1999 British Long-Range Benchrest Championship was won by a Tikka Continental in 6.5x55. Group size was an almost unbelievable 10 rounds into 4.4 inches at 1,000 yards. Anyone looking for an accurate out-of-the-box varmint rifle would do well to consider a Tikka.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have to admit I took a liking to the Tikka M595 Continental. It's a handsome and well-made rifle with a slick action. Accuracy was very good, as seems to be a trait of Tikka rifles. This can be seen in the fact the 1999 British Long-Range Benchrest Championship was won by a Tikka Continental in 6.5x55. Group size was an almost unbelievable 10 rounds into 4.4 inches at 1,000 yards. Anyone looking for an accurate out-of-the-box varmint rifle would do well to consider a Tikka.

Ha ha... See! There is even evidence to support my illogical preference for the Swede! Like I'll ever shoot a hare at 1000 yds - Ha! Still, It's a nice thought. thumb

As for using the ballistics charts to make a selection - well according to those, a hornet bullet should just bounce off! Big Grin But it kills better than I had ever dreamed possible! Eeker I still won't use it on anything bigger than a goat! Even then, I am careful how I use it. I just cannot get this idea that bigger is better out of my head! Big Grin
quote:
... or they perceive a specific Cartridge just has the wrong Horse Power for the Game they Hunt and how they Hunt it.
Those are the wise hunters, no?

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Swede recoil is less than or equal to a 243 Win in my opinion but has more to offer against larger animals. My wife has claimed my 6.5 chambered in the M77 ruger as her rifle.
I do not think that the Swede is better than the 308 but I sure do like the round.

Posts: 97 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The .308 is more accurate than the 6.5?....$#@$#@$#@ I beg to differ! I love my more "modern calibers" but my 'ol Swede goes with me much more often than all the others combined. With Barnes bullets I think the Swede will do any job needin doing.

Alex

A free society requires order, order depends upon restraint: yet it seem that the only kind of restraint compatible with genuine freedom is self restraint.

Posts: 5 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: 02 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well...hmmm do you like "real" blondes? or reall "redheads"?

Cuz that is what you are arguing about...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10078 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For sure, I would rather have the 308 canadian than the 6,5x55 swede.

Posts: 91 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
This is my blaser r93 with a 6.5x55 match barrel on it, but I have a 308 barrel too.

My 6.5x55 match barrel is a "one-hole"(er) with RWS 140grn ammo. I have not been able to reload with this type of performance.

By coachsells, shot with COOLPIX S210 at 2009-03-30

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
A fair number of Reds are taken in the UK every year and the minimum rifle is regulated by law at 243 energy levels.

In Scotland there is a minimum bore, projectile weight and velocity specification that basically means that the "smallest" calibre that is legal for Reds and other large deer is 243, in England and Wales there is no minimum velocity specified but the bore and energy requirements mean that 243 is the smallest deer legal calibre for large deer.

the consequence is that many, I would say the majority of English deerstalkers either use or have a 243 in the cabinet.

The emphasis on UK deerstalking, as far as I have been able to make being a fairly new stalker myself, is on shot placement. If one messes up a ill-judged head or neck shot, or gut shoots a broadside beast at 100 yards off a stable rest or some other equivalent faux pas, one may not be invited back. Around here that is pretty serious as stalking rights are pretty much a dead-man’s shoes affair…….

With that it mind many people do seem to use the 243 on Reds, and in fact on Fallow, Sika, Roe, CWD, Muntjac and foxes!

I have a 30.06 on the basis of versatility, I enjoy driven boar and hope to go to Africa soon, but after a recent experience would not take it after the smallest deer if I had a choice.

I plan to get a 243, with which I would not feel undergunned if in possession of 100 grainers and a little patience, if I met Red or big Fallow bucks, and a 6.5x55 so as to have a “not –thinking-about-calibre” calibre when out generally stalking.

The 6.5 bore also has the advantage of not being considered "too much" or "too little" for anything larger than rabbits on these shores, it always pays to make a sensible impression on a new gamekeeper or stalker.

To conclude my ramblings, if the 243 is considered sufficient for Red with careful shot placement, it may be reasonable to accept that even with slightly less disciplined shot placement the 6.5 would be ample, after all the old 6.5x54 MS is reckoned to have killed more highland stags that any other round and it is not even deer legal in the uk in it’s original loading.

Further the recoil is less than the 308.

There is also the small matter of the class it seems to ooze, suffice it to say I’m getting one and I already have a .30 cal!

Regards,

GH

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I find that what I think about calibres changes according to my mood.

I started my stalking career with a 308. I changed it for a 6.5x55 11years ago. I still use the 6.5 quite a lot and really like it. It is soft shooting but hits hard.

This morning I shot a roebuck with a 25year old sako 308 and a 4x32. I really enjoyed it and thought the bullet performance was excellent. Made me wonder why I'd changed.

It's best not to get too hide bound by calibres - if you're like me a rifle will come along to change your mind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A heavy bullet in a 30-06 is a hammer.

At BOTH ends. If you don't need the power, want flatter trajectory, 7/08 will do nicely.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5X55 is better because I have had one for decades before there was such a thing as a .260.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well I find that what I think about calibres changes according to my mood.

Exactly!
quote:
It is soft shooting but hits hard.
The 'feel' of the recoil counts a lot for me. Although I am one smaller than the 'Swede', I find the 25 very sweet shooting and hard hitting, making it my 'go-to' gun. (But I won't use it on Reds - not with 100grs or less anyway).
quote:
The 6.5 bore also has the advantage of not being considered "too much" or "too little" for anything larger than rabbits ...
That's my thinking too. To me, the 6.5 makes an 'ideal' one gun battery! (Which would make deciding on which rifle to take out a hell of a lot easier!Big Grin Nothing wrong with having two scopes for it for two loadings.)

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love the 6.5 swede and have killed more big game with this cartridge than any other. With that said its all hair splitting, there would be no noticable difference in the field. Find a rifle that fits your body and your needs and go hunting, its all mental gynastics that amounts to nothing. Place your bullet in the right spot and that animal is dead, not exactly rocket science...

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't go along with seafire on this one.
I simply love the .308.
Now lets make sure you know i like all the other rounds he mentioned too.
I have 3 .308s and 2 30,06s, Love them all.
But My little Kimber .308, (see my post one great rifle) weighs about 6 LBs scoped.
I squirt 150 grain bullets out of her a 2875 fps. I have not chronied any 165s but i bet they are at 2800. The darn thing just shoots! 3 shot groups beetwwn .50 and an inch are about avarage.
Now I know I could do a little faster with an 06. but not enough to matter.
And I just bet a 6 LB 30,06 with a full house load would be less fun to shoot !
Another point. All my .308s shoot sub MOA with more than one load. Including my model 88 lever gun.
Now my 06s shoot great to but it took more work.
Now as far as the 6.5 swede. Great round I can't say for animals under 500 LBS give or take a bit one round is any better then the other.
In side 300 yards just shoot strait and use a good bullet.
witch ever round you choose will likly work fine...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I squirt 150 grain bullets out of her a 2875 fps.
Holy Cow! That's not exactly a mild load now is it! I think I am doing well with my 303 Brit with 180 grainers doing a sizzling 2300fps! I could get about 2550fps with 150 grainers. Roll Eyes I'll be dropping down to about 1800/1900fps when I get my 220gr cast bullets up and running. Those are not as explosive on turkey as the 180 grainers. Big Grin 6Lbs scoped you say? I like it already!

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
a good friend of mine, just traded off a Chicom AK for a Savage in heavy barrel 308 with a 26 inch barrel and Synthetic Stock... I think he made a darn good trade..

Loading up some rounds for him, he wanted to use the 155 grain Nosler Palma Match bullets he got... using book charges of IMR 4895 and 4064, I was quite surprised with the velocities he was getting with that bullet, and those charges..

we chronographed several loads exceeding 2900 fps... and accuracy was what was expected out of a Savage and the Noslers...superb...

don't ask me why I just can't warm up to a 308.. but if I did, that 155 match bullet and standard 4895 or 4064, would be my choices...

at one time when I was over in Bend at Nosler's Shooter's Pro Shop, I saw that they have some 155 grain Combined Technology Balllistic Silver Tips surplus bullets for sale.... don't think they ever made that bullet available to handloaders commerically tho...

I still prefer the offspring of the 308, the 243, 260 and 7/08....

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
... don't ask me why I just can't warm up to a 308..
Hey, me too! There is no logical reason. Maybe it's just too darn perfect! BOOM

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
There are many case designs available that out perform the .308 case. There are applications where the .308 is needed, however those applications were designed around the.308 case. Without the .308 case those applications would not exist.

With that said, the 6.5x55 and the 7X57 family of cartridges are some of those designs that certainly out perform the .308 case design.

I think you will be a happier hunter with the 6.5x55.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont realy care which is beter. I like my swedes.

Never cared to get a 308 , until I bought a killer deal on a 1953 winchester M70 featherwight for $200. And now I like the 308. This m70 flat out shoots,,, and is easy and fun to reload for. Its one of my favorite rifles to go to that just plain shoots tight groups for me all the time at 200yds with a low power scope

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think you will be a happier hunter with the 6.5x55.

I know I would be happier! Big Grin
quote:
I dont realy care which is beter. I like my swedes.
thumb

The one advantage I can see for a smaller cased, higher pressure cartridge is it burns its powder better in a shorter barrel tham does a lower intensity cartridge of the same power - I think?

There is one cartridge of the 308 case family which I think might be great - the 358 Win! But I would rather have a 303-358! In fact I am busy building a 303-375 (which has come to a temporary standstill). The idea is to gain the performance of a heavier bullet in a shorter barrel on a Lee Enfield action.

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've not owned a 6.5mm, but have shot a few of them that buddies had. They have relatively high Sectional Density figures for the Bullets that people would typically use on Deer and Hog size Game. For those of us who refuse to participate in the Politically Correct Bullet(PCBs) fiasco, good old SD still gives an excellent "Comparative Measurement" to judge penetration between Bullets within the same Design Envelope

What is the sectional density of the bullet after it hits the animal?? I think these SD discussions are somewhat bogus especially after with the advent of monolithic bullets.

I still want to try a 260 or 7-08 however, probably the 7-08 first.

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Decisions, decisions. It's a tough one, to be sure.

Posts: 15908 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:
quote:

naaaah...not at all....pick the one with the biggest tits.....and the one that shoots the 120 hollow points.....in .264 diameter!

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
Winston Churchill

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
naaaah...not at all....pick the one with the biggest tits.....
Hey... some of us might like perky little ones! Big Grin Bet they'll shoot 264 bullets just fine! Wink

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
VD! .303 Guy! There is a lot of territory between the pendulum extremes. It is suggested that you both expand your horizons. Eekerroger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Guys,

I'm with Roger on this one. Big or small I'm just happy to see them. clap

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey 303Guy and Hamish, Happened to be up messing around at 4:30AM this morning and old Buck McNeely was in NZ with General Chuck Yeager Killing all kinds of things.

They both started off with some kind of Sheep. The Gen got one with horns that made 2 complete turns and Buck's was a bit smaller but still BIG.

Then Buck Killed some kind of Stag(looked like a large Fallow Deer to me). He had spotted one with mostly White hair and finally got it. Not the Biggest, but he wanted the White one.

And the Gen ended up Killing a large Tar.

Seems like you all have some pretty good "hills" over there. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Hotcore,

The hills here are not that high in height above sea level with 6000 feet being pretty high but they do start from low down and go straight up. You know when you climb one you have done a good days exercise.

The ram Chuck shot was probably an Arapawa ram or may have been a wild Merino which have a similar horn stucture. If it had brown wool it would be an Arapawa, if off white it was a Merino.

The Fallow bucks here do have the occasional white throw back so that would be the stag Buck bowled. Fallow have the best eating venison I have tried and I have a real soft spot for them.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Hamish, I saw what you are talking about with the steepness of your mountains. They were even "snow capped" off in the distance. Not sure I'd last very long on that kind of climb anymore.

I missed them saying which kind it was, but from your description I'd say it looked like a Merino. Buck asked if the wool was as good as the domesticated sheep. The Guide mentioned some people prefer it for the more "Rustic Look" - whatever that is supposed to mean.

One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
Gees guys, this is not that hard to answer
Do like I did. Get 2 rifles, one in 6.5x55 and the other is a 35 Whelen....case solved
Now, do ya'll feel better
Came to that decision after owning an 06 for 30 years.....

I beg to differ, Get a 6.5x55 and a 375 H&H, Varmits to Africa with two.

That's after 49 years with the 06!!!

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have each the Swede (Tikka T3) and Savage M10 Whitetail camo in 308....one thing for sure they are both accurate...Tikka more so....Savage 308 is blind mag..Tikka drop mag...cool camo film on the Savage.....SS/laminate Tikka...308 Savage definitely has more recoil w/180s vs 140s in the 6.5...which will work better in the lower 48 on any game ? Flip a coin ....

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vapodog:
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:
quote:

naaaah...not at all....pick the one with the biggest tits.....and the one that shoots the 120 hollow points.....in .264 diameter!

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why is the Swede better than a 308?

Coz it is...

Hehehhe.... and given that tits have been introduced into the discussion, ask the owners of the big tits why they are 'downsizing' to a more efficient size... LOLOLOLOL

Easier to use, easier to carry, and more user friendly for the thinking man.

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
30 CALIBER

6.5 CALIBER

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote