Notify
Tools

Reloading the 303.25
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Folks

I have just set a gunsmith in motion to produce me a 303-25

It will be on a NEF "Handi Rifle" SB2 frame, made up from a barrel stub using a fresh (newish) stainless Tikka barrel from a 25-06. Barrel length will end up at about 21.5 inches.

I know the Handi is "not the strongest kid on the block" but it should be a lot better than a SMLE. I have the ADI (aka Hodgdon) book and it suggests that 2850 fps with a 100 gn boolit is obtainable. One thing I have in mind is to set up the size die to just "neck size" so that case stretch is minimised.

Anyone got any favourite loads or experience they'd care to share with this chambering ??

Thanks - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A prominent Canadian gunsmith of yesteryear by the name of Ellwood Epps did numerous conversions of the SMLE to .25-303. You might do a google search and find some of his standard loads.

The case capacity would be somewhere near a .250 Savage. I would think that "starting" loads for the Savage would serve as a reasonable guideline.

The .25 Krag was a somewhat popular wildcat in t the U.S. a few decades ago. It would be of similar case capacity, so you might look for loads for it.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Foster

SUPER makes factory 25-303 ammo, I believe, so it would seem that loading data should be available in some form.

As Stone said, it is ballistically similar to the 25 Krag but starting loads would probably be better confined to the 250 Savage, or maybe even 257 Roberts.

Ackleys Handbook gives several loads. Do you have a copy??

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Guys - Yes the 25 Krag will be very similar, I'll hunt out someone here with a copy of Ackleys book.

Thanks

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just look up the adi site. or better still get a copy of nick harveys reloading book.

cheers cc

Posts: 191 | Location: Australia | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tentman,
Check with the 'smith that does your chamber whether he has a "real" 303/25 reamer or something else. The vast majority of 303/25's did not use the full-length 303British case but where shortened a bit. Its why some have difficulty when they neck down 303British brass, seat a 25cal pill and then get pressure signs. You can try ADI's website manual for starting loads, just knock them back the full 10% as the ADI manuals of old distinguished between SMLE level and P14/M98 loads ... now it looks like its just the P14 loads.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zzWop
posted Hide Post
87g bullet 37.0g AR2208 stated velocity 3050 fps
100g bullet 31.0g AR2206 stated velocity 2850 fps

I did play with a 303-25 for a while. It was an old SMLE with a Sportco barrel. It used the full length 303 case necked to 25. I did use the ADI data and it was very mild.
Accuracy was ok for hunting. A classic Aussie rifle from the old world.
I believe that given a strong action it can easily equal 257 Rob performance.

I'd rather be hunting!!

Posts: 26 | Location: Australia | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote