New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Rem. 700 VTR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I saw this on another forum .223 W/1x9 .22-250 w/1x14 "22in triangle barrel med contour with built in muzzle brake"
Interesting .. I think I would rather have a brake I could remove and or install .
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_r...00/model_700_vtr.asp

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
A concern that can be had with many of the factory installed muzzle brakes is the noise factor.

I had a Browning A-Bolt with the first Boss brake on it and upon sighting it in you would dial it in to find the sweet spot. I produced some great groups in a 22-250 down into the 4's and 5's.

On the first trip out to shoot in the field we were hunting coyotes and jump a big jack rabbit. After two shots I thought my head was going to explode and my son who was about 15 yards away was complaining about his ears.

I called up Browning and complained about the noise level and after a few minutes they agreed to trade out the A-Bolt for a A-5 shotgun.

The first question to ask about a muzzle brake, IMHO, is the noise level increase. They all have some increase, as to have a decrease would classify them as a suppressor. The next question would be the reduction in recoil and can a sight picture be maintained. IMHO

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote