THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Scope recommendation for CZ 22LR

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope recommendation for CZ 22LR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a CZ 22LR and am extremely happy with it. My eyesight is not as good as it used to be to continue to shoot it with open sights. Any suggestions as to a variable scope up to $100 would be most welcome.

Posts: 172 | Location: Jackson, New Jersey | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ingvar J. Kristjansson
posted Hide Post
I don't know how much I paid for it but I got a Bushnell 3200 4-12x40 on my CZ 22LR. I'm very happy with it !

Posts: 510 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not too sure what scopes you'll be happy with for $100, but you can get a Weaver 2-7 for about $120. That was the price I paid for one that I now have on a 22 Rifle.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Tasco target/varmint in (I think!) 2.5-10. I have 2 on .22s right now, and there's a lot to like. Mil-dot reticle, very clear & bright, and a very useable power range for a rimfire. They can be had for about $65 from the online discount places.

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
I put a .22RF Bushnell 4x32 on my sons Winchester 140. Pretty good scope overall. They make a 3-9 version also. Both are below $50.00. You can also get a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40mm that is a great scope, my .22 WMR wears one, $99.00. It is a wide veiw w/ amberglow optics (reticule turns amber in low light conditions).

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lads,

I know how frustrating it can be to have a great shooting gun and you cannot maximize its capabilities because you can't afford a higher priced scope.

I have a Leupold 2X7 on my CZ, but I took it off a deer rifle I no longer use. It really shows how well that rifle can shoot.

If you are going to shoot at shorter ranges (50yds or so) be sure you select a scope that is parallax adjusted to that range (22lr, muzzle loading and turkey scopes are considerations).

Something to consider. Virtually all glass now adays can provide you w/good results at 22lr ranges. The difference in price seems to come from the rough use to which it may be subjected (and survive), and to variables such as parallax and focus drift (inability to focus through all ranges) at longer ranges. Its more the MECHANICS than the OPTICS on cheaper scopes.

I do own some older B&L and Bushnell's w/steel tubes that are still capable of driving nails and then shooting good groups. Older used scopes of excellent lineage are usually fixed power however.

I surely respect your desire to spend within your budget, but I would also caution you to shop wisely (I know... that's why you asked in the first place Smiler).

I have unfortunately heard of late some bad reports on Cabela's brand scopes in that price range. I would also caution you against BSA brand scopes - the ones I have seem cheaply made.

I recently bought a Vortex variable (in your price range from Midway) and find it to be strong and clear, however, I made the mistake of buying the smaller objective and now find the field of view to be lacking my needs. It is on a Savage 24 of 22hornet/20ga and is excellent to 100yds w/my loads. You may query other Vortex owners for their opinion. I would consider another but be sure to buy the 40mm objective.

Check w/Midway, they have good clearances on many items but BEWARE of any scope at 50%+ off... there must be a reason for that great a discount.

Sorry, my long winded response probably doesn't answer your original question.

Let us know what you find, your efforts will surely help others (including me).

Mike

Si vis pacem... parabellum

Posts: 236 | Location: MI's beautiful UP | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 2X7 is an excellent choice, and I believe it is available in the lower-priced "Rifleman" series from Leupold.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would question the need for a variable-power scope on a 22, and further question the wisdom in purchasing a cheap variable. A fixed-power scope is much more durable. I would suggest an inexpensive 2.5x in a short-range model, shotgun, black powder, etc.

One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael A. Glass:
Lads,

I know how frustrating it can be to have a great shooting gun and you cannot maximize its capabilities because you can't afford a higher priced scope.

The question was under $100.00, not how deep are your pockets! Sure you can get a Sightron S1 fixed for $150.00, but that was not the question (I love Sightrons). As far as durable, The Bushnell trophy 3-9x40mm on my A-bolt .22 WMR is 15 years old. That says allot. 3/4", 5 shot groups at 100 yards w/ CCI Maxi Mags. I put a Bushnell Trophy 4-12x40mmAO on my new CZ 527 Varminter, not because I am cheap, but because it is a good scope and under $200.00 was an Extra. The Amberglow optics are great for Squirrel hunting in the trees, you can still see them and the reticule in the shadows.I have a BSA .22 Special on a Marlin 60 that cost $37.00 6 years ago. 3-9x32mm w/ yellow lense cap for low light, works great for the $ and my boys. My middle son has dispatched many a vermin w/ it. He's the one w/ the Winchester w/ the Bushnell .22RF now. Why would you need a $250.00 scope for a .22? at 50..75 yards. Open sights on a good rifle would do that.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JPAT,

Please don't selectively quote me. I take no offense... I'm sure your post is only to further the good intent of the original request.

My only desire was to help this gent so as to not get drawn into some cheap alternative when affordable options are available.

The question did cite "scopes" perhaps indicating an inability to utilize irons for good target acquisition. Eyesight ability not for me to judge... just passing along some thoughts and experience.

I did offer some direction w/in his price range based on my previous purchases and success (or lack thereof).

I value your opinion and hope it adds to his options and ultimate choice of a suitable optic.

Mike

Si vis pacem... parabellum

Posts: 236 | Location: MI's beautiful UP | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote