Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR-15 Compensator
 Login/Join

posted
What kind of compensator do you guys recommend for an AR-15? Will accuracy suffer from installing a compensator? Thanks
-Seth

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I personally see no "real world..." use for a compensator on an AR15. Disadvantage is that the device makes for a very loud and nasty sound at the range and fellow shooters are not that friendly to those who use the thing. Recoil is not a factor on a 223/5.56mm round so a compensator is just extra stuff. If you do want to put a compensator on the muzzle, take a look at the ones offered by Smith and there are others of course, but unit is quality.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
J&P arms makes one that works well. the purpose is to cut down the muzzle jump so you can see your hits. That said I wouldn't have one on anything less than a 50 bmg

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiteman:
Hello,
I personally see no "real world..." use for a compensator on an AR15. Disadvantage is that the device makes for a very loud and nasty sound at the range and fellow shooters are not that friendly to those who use the thing. Recoil is not a factor on a 223/5.56mm round so a compensator is just extra stuff. If you do want to put a compensator on the muzzle, take a look at the ones offered by Smith and there are others of course, but unit is quality.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Yup! It is fun however to be next to some obnoxious guy at the range, so you pop off 20-30 rounds with your compensated AR...

No, but seriously, they make way too much noise for the poor bastard beside you at the range and you don't need one on an AR. If mine didn't have one when I bought it, I probably wouldn't have installed one.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote