Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes X in the .243
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted
I was wondering if anyone here has used the Barnes X bullets in the .243. I have used them in the .375 H&H and I am quite pleased with them. I have been thinking of trying them in my .243. If you have used them what loads did you use and what kind of performance did you get?

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Not really what you're asking, but I use them with great results in my 6.5X55 - the balistic twin of the .260 Remington. I've been real tempted to try the 80 grainers in my .243, just 'cuz.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
DesertRam,
How did they do in your 6.5X55? I have got an itch to try the 85 gr XLC in my .243. Looks like it may be a good bullet for deer & antelope.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I like my little Swede so much that I've pretty much made it my go-to rifle for most hunting. I think this has a lot to do with the rifle itself rather than the cartridge though. I spotted this rifle hanging high on the wall in a local northern NM pawn shop and asked to take a look at it. I shouldered it, immediately fell in love with it, and decided to buy it. It fit me that well. Only after starting negotations did I remember to look for the cartridge designation. I had never even heard of the 6.5X55, so I put the purchase on hold and returned to my folks' house to peruse my Dad's reloading manuals. What I saw was at least interesting enough to send me back to finish the deal.

That was about two years ago, and I couldn't be more pleased with my decision to go ahead with the purchase. With just a little tweaking, I've been able to get the 120 and 140 grain Barnes XLCs to shoot very well (less than 1"), with excellent on-game performance. I like the 140s considerably more though, as the 120s seem to be moving to fast and don't expand well on light game. The 140s, on the other hand, kill like lightening and just seem to fit the rifle.

Looks like the 85 grain XLC in the .243 at about 3300 would be good medicine for most NA light game. What with the 6.5, I haven't really been too concerned with the .243 for big game, instead using lighter bullets for coyotes and such. If I draw a NM antelope tag (yeah right!), I'll probably give the Xs a try. I also want to use the 100 grainers a shot in my wife's .257 Roberts. Ought to be good medicine in that rifle too.

Drop me a line at dtwiebe@yahoo.com and we'll BS more if'n you want.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 50 grain XLC's in 22 caliber work well on deer. Not much blood trail, but that is to be expected. Hit them in the right spot, and they don't go far at all. Penetration and expansion are excellent. I'm sure the 243 X bullets will work even better.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load 95 grain Barnes X bullets in my son's 243.I have a friend that uses the 85 grain XLC's in his 243.There were 4 deer killed between our 2 young un's and all 4 dropped in their tracks.One was at a ranged 190 yards,not bad for a 9 year old!

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sll:
I load 95 grain Barnes X bullets in my son's 243.I have a friend that uses the 85 grain XLC's in his 243.There were 4 deer killed between our 2 young un's and all 4 dropped in their tracks.One was at a ranged 190 yards,not bad for a 9 year old!

What load did your friend use with the XLC? It looks like that bullet would be a good one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know the grains but the powder is IMR4895,mine shoots the 95 grain X bullet well with H414 but I have not tried 4895 in it yet.Both of these rifles are Ruger Compacts.

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
Using the x bullets in smaller calibers has not worked very well for me. That however might have alot to do with my hunting situations and the fact that I almost never have an opportunity at a completely unspooked deer. What I have observed with the x bullets in the .243 is the normal excellent penetration, but the exit holes are very small and so is the tissue damage. This has combined to produce some very callenging tracking situations even with very solid hits. With different situations i.e. rain or snow, I might have lost several deer. As it was all was well and no animals were lost.

If your shots are normally standing at unspooked critters or if you hunt in relatively open country, you'll be fine... if not, I wouldn't recommend x bullets for you. They simply don't provide a large enough wound or blood trail.

I have found that in the .24 and .22 calibers I am better off limiting myself to only broadside shots and then using bullets that lose some weight. Partitions do a very good job of this. The front half usually blows off and makes a nice wound through the lung area and the matter is setteled very quickly with little fuss even if the animal is spooked and running on adrenalin.

I generally like x bullets, but only in the bigger calibers were the mushroom has enough frontal diameter to do the job quickly without the bullet fragments you get from other designs.

Gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WyoJoe:

I also normally shoot 6.5 mm for hunting, but I do carry a 6mm at times when the mood suites me.

I did get some 85 grain XLCs and loaded them in a 6 mm Remington ( 24 inch barrel, 1 in 8 twist)
I loaded the rounds to what was listed as max in the flyer that came with the bullets. Their max velocity was real low in my rifle. Mine shot at about 3675 fps, to several over 3700!

I also did some testing of the bullet, into what i call my test media.. Live tree branches about 6 to 8 inches in diameter. After seeing what they did to the tree branches, ( and I assume they offer as much or more resistance than an animal would, or at least as much).... If I was put in a position to have to carry a 6mm Elk hunting, with the 85 grain XLC, I would have all the confidence in the world on the bullet downing its quarry with proper shot placement.

If I had to max perform in a 6 mm of any type it would be my bullet of choice.!!the 85 grain XLC.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 75 gr. BarnesX HP in my little 6x45 to kill a number of deer, antelope and some African smaller antelope..I can drive them about 2900 to 3000 FPS in that gun and they kill very well...My only complaint with any 6mm is they do not leave a good blood trail, even with good solid hits, on many ocassions so I restrict the 6 mm to open country or when there is snow on the ground....It is the best 6mm bullet I have used in my 6x45 and it has been discontinued but I have a stockpile of them...The 85 gr. should work about the same in a .243 I would think.

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I just worked up a load with Barnes 90 grain X fb in my 240 wby mag. I am shooting IMR 4350 at 51.5 grains, with a 26 inch barrel. I think I have the bullet seating to a point where accuracy is very good. I'm assuming if I do my job, this should be a good load in the 240 wby.
Thoughts?

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aggiedog,
Idon't see how it couldn't work, it should be deadly killer of deer and antelope, It may tend to blood shoot the heck out of everything and be pretty messy to clean up..but with the Barnes X they claim that doesn't happen nearly as bad as with a conventional bullet....?????????

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote