Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 WSSM vs .22-250
 Login/Join

posted
Would someone tell me if what I've read recently is correct? That the .223 WSSM has greater velocity potential than the .22-250? I suppose that if this is correct and I wanted to rechamber my .222 mag imp to a .223 WSSM, I'd need a larger bolt face. Mike

Posts: 21 | Location: Missoula, Montana 59802 | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Micheal, Oh, yes, the WSSM has a case capacity of 54 gr. of water, the 22-250 about 44 gr. The Swift is in the middle, with about 46 gr. of water.

Rebarreling would not be my choice. Not only would you need to change your bolt face, it would also likely change your rifle into a single shot. The WSSM has a slightly larger case head than the belted magnums, and is even fatter in the body: your current magazine won't work.

Better to just buy another rifle, if you feel you need to play with this special purpose cartridge. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The WSSM's won't be the commercial hits that their big brothers the WSM's were! They certainly won't be the commercial hit equal to the 17HMR!!! They are just another flash in the pan!! How much better can you mke a 22 or 6mm over the 22-250 or 6PPC or any myriad of choices out there? Mike, You had a great cartrdge, 222Mag and then you "Improved" it. Realistcally, what does the 223WSM offer you? Just my thoughts on these two!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By the by Mike. Have you seen the latest Small Caliber News mag.? Kindler's got an article in there about that .222 Rem Mag AI of yours necked to .20 cal. Dubbed it the .20 Terminator, i guess. 4200-4300+ m.v. with the Hornady 33 gr. V-Max. Man, would that be a hum-dinger for coyote fur, or what??

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I worked up this load for my .223 WSSM. A Nosler 40 gr. Ballistic Tip, 45.4 gr. IMR-4064, 4,651 fps. average of four 5 shots groups was 0.804". Groups got smaller as I went back to the 41 gr. mark. I don’t need a load this fast. I'm looking for accuracy. But what this load does to a ground squirrel is not for those with weak stomachs. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawdog_Gary: I think this afternoon I have learned the real definition of "OVER KILL"! I mean jumpin geehosaphat man! How dead can a Ground Squirrel get? That has got to be a sight to see!
I am glad you are having fun!
Isn't retirement grand!
More later!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just for the crowd that thinks they need a 223 WSSM for velocity.

The old 22/250 has been around for a long time.
The Swift even longer.

No experience with AI versions of these, but I know a lot of people who do.
I do have handloading experience with the 22/250.

If velocity is needed, a 22/250 with 33.5 grains of RL 7 will give you a velocity of 4450 with a 40 grain bullet. 35 grains will hit 4650. 35.5 will break 4700!. Of course brass life declines above the 4500fps mark. You will need to buy a new barrel about the same time as the old 4 x 4 needs somemore mudders, so just factor that in to the budget.

Just facts I know, the conclusions are left to the reader to draw. [Confused] [Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah , the 22/250 will push a 40 gr real fast. But the bigger case should push the heavier 22 caliber slugs much faster than the 250 . That may be the niche that the WSSM succeeds in , a specialized very long range vermin buster with bullets like the 75 gr A-Max , or at least 55 gr boat-tail plastic tips ........

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote