New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need opinion
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
am looking at a weatherby van syn & an Howa in 223cal there must be somone out there that has these rifles. Tell me guys which one am i likley to get the best accuracy out of.I know weatherby say's 1 /12 but any fairly good 223 should shoot a little under that. or not? come on guys tell me how good your's are. need some input here. thanks.

ps: its a lightning howa festus

Posts: 85 | Location: West Fargo, ND, 58078 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would it help to know they're the exact same gun? Howa makes the Weatherby Vanguard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Festus- You want an accuracy guarentee for $400? Almost any brand of rifle is usually capable of doing better than 1 1/2" at least with a little tuning. The two guns you are refering to differ only in the stock shape, so pick the one you like. They are good guns.

Marshall Jones

Posts: 192 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
There is no difference in the two models you have indicated, except for stock considerations. The Howa is a fine firearm. The Weatherby guarentee is BS. The 1-1/2" is for Weatherby factory ammo only and is from a center point to a radius of 1-1/2" which equals 3". Total BS. Now, with that said. Since Howa makes it, regardless of nameplate, you should get much better accuracy out of it despite the brand label than the stated guarentee. The deciding factor should be the cost and fit of the stock for you.

I have a $ 1400 Wby rifle in my gun safe that shoots 4" patterns that I am totally disgusted with. And has already been back to the factory once for correction but can do no better than 4".

Weatherby is no longer in the premium rifle business. They are simply resting on the laurels of Roy, who is long gone. Sad situation.

I would buy either one, because, Howa is the manufacturer and they deliver at their price point.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote