Find
Notify
Tools

6.5WSM
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Montana
posted
Read that there is a prototype and maybe next year a gun on the market.
Was looking to build a 6.5 something thought 284, then the WSM came up, did a little research and it was mentioned by someone who has already built a 6.5WSM that on the next one he is using the new REM short case. Who knows? Anybody have any thoughts or ideas most likely will use 120gr BT's. Also does anyone have case dims. on the REM.

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
For dimensions, check clymer's web site. I know they have dimensions on both cases and possibly the combination your looking for.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great project!!! I had in mind to build one but if a factory rifle will be hitting the market I will wait a bit. Where did you hear that it rumor, Montana?

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5 WSM? Factory Rifle? Come out soon?

excellent...possibly a better alternative to the 6.5/284

------------------
When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, there is a magazine that comes around called guns&gear, pretty informative in there was an article about the new short mags out and it mentioned the 6.5WSM.

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Word I have is that the 6.5WSM works, but is only marginally more effective than the 6.5-.284. Apparently, a little over bore and therefore, not worth the effort!

Best of Luck.

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DMCI*,

My guess is it'll sell big time if they stick it in a production rifle like their coyote special and slap $700 or so price take on it, as compared to a custom job or a cooper which already may mean upwards of a grand.

------------------

<PrimeTime>
posted
A rep from Hornady told me that Winchester will be releasing a 6.5WSM in the future. Take it for what you will.
I hope they shorten it a bit as the full 300 wsm case is a little too much in my opinion. That case holds 83 grains of water. The Remington short mag case is the perfect size, holding 72 grains of water. The 6.5-284 holds about 66 (I think).
Time will tell. Long live the 6.5's!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
They will sell 3 of them right here as fast as I can find them. A new 6.5!!!!!! I can hardly wait!!

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
coyotes and antelope beware. i want in on this killer too.

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
My only concern is that I can already reach 3000 fps with a 142grn Sierra in 6.5/284. The 6.5 WSM with that much capacity would most likely wear out a barrel pretty quickly, not a problem if you hunt with it, but as a target shooter I am a little concerned.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well,

I guess the 6.5WSM isn't for everyone, people who have 6.5/284s for example may not have much use for it.

on the other hand, you could always use one for target shooting and one for hunting which is a great excuse for a new toy...

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester made that rifle years ago, it's called the .264 Win Magnum! This is all a bunch of hype to sell some new rifles!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
Sorry,

That is a long action belted case, this is short.

<lokey>
posted
I'm in!My buddy and I have been talking about the .264 WSM since day one(of the 300 WSM). I'd shoot 100 grain B-Tips at just about everything. The way I see it, 3600 shouldn't be out of the question. That's a .25-06 on steroids. The .264 Win. Mag is a wonderful round, way over looked, the WSm should be even better. ~lokey

<grkldoc>
posted
The 300wsm (83 grains H20)case has the same case capacity as the 264 win mag(82grains H20). Physics dictates it can't be any better. Then there is all this hype about short, fat cases being much more efficient in burning powder and yielding higher velocity. This is the idea behind the Lazzeroni cartridges. From first hand experience, this just isn't a significant difference. But then there is the fun and excitement of trying something new!