New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need gunsmith for rebarrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an old Remington I want to have rebarreled with a good quality sporter barrel. It will be a standard caliber (.270 win), and used for everything from coyotes to mule deer. I used to be pretty heavy into the precision reloading game and know how to get the most out of a rifle, I am just not up on the current gunsmiths. I am looking for someone who does good work at a reasonable price, would like it rebarreled and the action trued. Doesn't have to be bench quality, but should go 1/2 to 3/4 MOA with the right loads.

Any ideas on who to get some quotes from? Some smiths you have had good luck with?

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where in TX are you? Can probably find a good one pretty close to you.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Up in the panhandle, north of Childress. I don't mind shipping it wherever I have to, mainly I want it done right. This rifle will probably be with my youngest son the rest of his life.

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might give the Harry Lawson Company in Tucson a call. Their metal man has done a couple of rebarrel jobs for me and both rifles are sub MOA. I'm planning on another job for them in the not very distant future as soon as I get the money up.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike Bryant comes to mind in Texas.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went to Mike Bryants site and it says he is not accepting any more work untill he gets his new house built, it is in progress. Looks like a good one though.

I can't find a website for the Harry Lawson Co., did find a phone # though. I will put them on my list of ones to check.

Thanks so far guys, keep them coming. I am a man that likes options. Wink

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Well there is Charlie Sisk down there in Texas...

I use a local Smith, by the Name of Kevin Wyatt here in Oregon.. he is the same who does the Wyatt's Outdoor Magazine Boxes in Brownell's and several other parts suppliers...

Kevin is both super reasonable on prices, compared to a lot of big name gunsmiths, yet his work has always been excellent for me..he is a former USMC armourer...

his web site is www.wyattourdoors.com

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might check out Charlie Sisk or Tip Burns. Think there is a company called Accuracy Speaks or something similar in Texas.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.hartbarrels.com/
a complete gunsmithing shop, which will rebarrel your action, with a Hart barrel, chamber, lap the lugs, square the action, crown, and P.O. Box 182, 1690 Apulia Road
LaFayette, NY 13084
Phone (315) 677-9841 Fax (315) 677-9610
E-mail - Hart Rifle Barrels
Hours 7AM-12PM & 1PM-4PM Eastern Time M-F

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I LOVE the work done for me by Dennis Olson of Plains, Montana......he is incredibly precise, reasonably priced, honest, ...... a classical gunsmith. (406) 826-3790.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Tip Burns is my gunsmith He does first rate work and worth the wait!

www.burnsgunrepair.com

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies guys.

However, I have changed in mid-flight on what I am going to have done. The rifle in question is actually more than adequate for my sons needs at this point, I think we will wait a couple years for his skills (both shooting and maintenance Winkto improve first, then have it done.

Instead, I am going to fix another rifle of mine that has been a problem. I originally had it built about 10 years ago, a nice slick little 7x57 on an Interarms MK X action, 22"bbl, I LOVE this rifle. However, it has a sloppy chamber that the builder would never take care of. Accuracy is so-so, and case life is bad. I am going to send it to Pac-Nor and have them put a new bbl on it. New barrel will be same length and contour, but stepped up to a 7x57AI.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but stepped up to a 7x57AI.

Now your talking, excellent caetridge.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I use Tip Burns in Canyon Lake, Texas. He has done three rifles for the Houston Safari Club including last years President's Rifle which was auctioned for $15,000. All he takes is custom work now, no general gunsmithing, except for a few of his poor friends like me. He just finished Cindy Garrison's new rifle ( I got to shoulder it so her cheek will rest where mine did...as close as I will get to her). He also does a fair bit of work building sniper rifles for police departments. Tip just finished up my 7mm STW this week.

........and his prices are reasonable!!

Here is a link to his web-site: Burns Link

......and no, I am not related or on the payroll!

Good Luck,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of deerslayer64d
posted Hide Post
I would also have to vote for Tip Burns at canyon lake , he just Finished a 257 roberts for me . great work very fair price and good turn around time !!!

Posts: 52 | Location: springbranch TX | Registered: 12 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Euless Guns and Ammo in Euless, Texas does all my stuff. They do very good work. EGA website

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a call in to Tip now to see if he thinks a rechamber to AI is feasible to straighten out the chamber or if it will require a rebarrel. I think the chamber, not the bore, is the real problem with it. Anyways, we'll see what he has to say about it, sounds like he is very knowledgeable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tip won me over. Cool I was very impressed with him on the phone, and have no doubt I will be satisfied with his work. The action will ship this week. Thanks for the tip on Tip guys.