Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 or 22-284 or 224TTH
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Montana
posted
Who what where which one is better and why?

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
when you find out let me know? i want one too? i would love to have something fast and light besides the usuals

one of us
posted Hide Post
I read an article in Rifle Magazine (I think) about the 22-284. Terminal effects where quite impressive with the Lost River 78g bullets at approx. 3600 fps. Hope this helps

Brian

Posts: 82 | Location: Gardnerville, Nevada | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
What do you plan to use it for? Are you planning on using the heavier bullets? If so then the 22-250 will be a little short on case. Maybe the 22-250imp would work. I've got a 224tth on the bench. I've only done some very preliminary loading but it looks like it will make the 78-82 @ 3600+/- . Based on some work I did on a 243 wildcat and 280Imp size cases I think the 284 case is just two big. Burn extra powder without much if any increase in velocity and more throat wear. If you are just looking for a varmint round stick with the 22-250 or Imp.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I can remember, they where using a 30" barrel with a 1:7 twist. The writer stated that it was definitely and the max. end of the spectrum for overbore, anything more is too much overbore.

Brian

Posts: 82 | Location: Gardnerville, Nevada | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends what you are going to do with with. If it is just a lot of every day varmit hunting then the 22 250 is the way to go lot of loads brass and rifles out there works really well. If you want someting special then one of the other ones to play with.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no expreience with the 22-284 and very little with the 224TTH, but I have quite a bit with the 22-250 Ackley.

I shoot the 60 grain vmax at 3600 plus and the 75 grain amax at 3330 from out of a Rem 700 barreled with a Shilen select match with a 1-9 twist. It will do everything I ask it to. Also shooting regular 22-250's out of it to fire form cases is a inexpensive way to get cases. Just my two cents worth.

Pecos

Posts: 93 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill T>
posted
In the August 1964 issue of Guns & Ammo Magazine there was an article by the late Bob Hutton on the .22-284. In it he achieved 6,000 FPS, yes six thousand!, by shooting a 15 gr. bullet. Quite impressive, even today! Bill T.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to present one more option: .22-6mm Rem Ackley Improved. Ross Seyfried wrote an article about it for Guns and Ammo. I think he got 3700 fps with the 80 grainers. I decided that I might not be happy with the barrel life, so I'm getting a fast-twist ( 1 in 8") .22-250, which will get 3150 fps (I hope) with the 80-grainers. I thought about .22-250 AI, but my gunsmith doesn't have the reamer. I think these cartridges are going to be great fun. No recoil, flat trajectory, and the ability to hit something very far away.

Posts: 264 | Location: Grand Prairie, TX, USA | Registered: 17 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
Revisiting this topic. I believe I would like to stay away from the A.I. because of the fire forming involved the way I see it that is one more round down the barrel to shorten the life. Looking hard at the .224TTH but have had feedback that barrel life is short even though the gun will still shoot .250 with a worn throat.
The 22-243 received a favorable mention also.
I am looking to shoot 60-80 grain pills as fast as possible. This rifle will not be shot alot if the barrel is gone in 1500 shots, that will last me 10 yrs at least.
The 22-284 is a big ol'e case yeah but with a 27" barrel isn't there a powder that is slow enough to take some of the bite out of it, say 50bmg powder. Looking for more advice

Thank you,

Wayne

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
<bearmanmt>
posted
Montana,
I shoot a similar wildcat a 22/6mm Rem. It has a 28" Hart stainless barrel, 1-8" twist on a stainless Win M70 classic short action. With mild reloads (for barrel life mostly) I am getting 3300-3400fps with 80 gr Sierras and JLKs. Same velocities with the 75 gr Hornaday A-max or 75 gr Match. From a rest on a still day this gun will shoot 2" at 300 yds. I must say that the 28" barrel is a little clumsy in close quarters (like in and out of a mini-truck). All in all, it seems that most of these mega small bore wildcats shoot about the same velocities. I used a 22/250 with a 1-8" 24" barrel for a while. Max loads gave me 3200fps with the 80 grain bullets. Give or take 200fps at the muzzle doesn't generally mean diddly at extended ranges. Knowing your gun/trajectory/scope/doping wind etc are all much more important to me. Any of these guns are capable of instantly killing a charging rock chuck or prarie dog at beyond 400yds (remember this only holds true if you hit him). It is great that you are experimenting and most importantly asking questions. Good shooting.
The Bearman
quote:
Originally posted by Montana:

<Varmint Hunter>
posted
I have a 22-243AI with an 8" twist, 28" Hart barrel. 80gr JLK's or Sierra's will easily shoot at 3,600+ with no signs of pressure. You can also get about the same speed from the 22-243 (not AI) but with the smaller case you will likely be working at maximum pressure.
I'm not sure if the 22-284 would offer any real advantage over the 22-243AI and may be quite a bit harder on barrels.
I like the AI cartridges for all the usual reasons, ie: reduced bolt thrust, less brass flow,increased case capacity, etc. I am not concerned with firing an addition round to fireform brass. I just fireform brass, work up loads and break-in the barrel all at the same time. I have found that fast powders are not necessary for fireforming, so I use mid-level charges of the powders that I intend to use for final loads. I have also hunted groundhogs with my fireforming loads and was quite happy with the effectiveness (speed & accuracy) of the slightly reduced charges.
My 6mmAI regularly shot 1/2" groups while fireforming brass.

<re5513>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Montana:

Unless you are building a fast twist .22 for use with VLD class bullets, I'd pass on all the choices. I own a .22-250 and have spent years handloading for it and taken numerous prairie dogs year round with it. It can be a finicky cartridge to load for as you seek both high speed and fine accuracy. As you add case capacity, the finicky nature often increases.

Rather than a .22-250, I'd suggest looking at a 6BR. From a performance perspective, it'll push a 55 gr. 6mm bullet as fast as a .22-250 will push a 55 gr. .224" bullet. On the other hand, the 6BR is an eager round without being finicky at all. Just about any powder combination you choose works well, and it's very easy to find multiple combinations that a .22-250 would be hard to match on it's best day. Really, a 6BR will easily do what you wish a .22-250 would do. The hardest part is finding a rifle chambered for the cartridge (most are custom rigs).

Regards,
re5513