New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thinking of getting a 22-250 barrel for my blaser r-8.

Any thoughts on the caliber?

How much of an improvement over a 223 is it ?

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
For varminting and coyotes I consider the 223 maxed out at 300 yards, the 22.250 gets another 100- 150 yards.

With proper fast twist barrels (8" twist or so) the 22.250 will run further, I can load heavier bullets to score on paper past 800 yards.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 24" 223 runs 3400 fps using 52 gr bullets, my 24" 22-250 runs 3700 fps using 55 gr bullets. Both are accurate and do the job on prairie dogs and rock chucks. The 223 burns 27 gr of powder per shot, the 22-250 burns 42 gr per shot. If I could only have one it would be the 223.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+ 2 to both the posts above my experience all so.

My 22-250 is accurate and a lot of varmints have died in front of it.

I have shot a lot more 223 as it is cheaper.

I would get a fast twist in the 22-250 and try the heavier bullets at longer range.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great round - bad thing to shoot it

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load the same bullet in 223 and 22-250. It hits A LOT harder in the 22-250.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy both the .223 and my 22/250.
When it comes to shooting Prairie dogs and Jack rabbits the 22/250 is my favorite for the sheer fact that the 22/250 blows them apart with more authority than the .223.
The .223 by far is more economical to shoot though.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 22/250 is a very good round for varmints and such as that. I don't consider it adequate for larger animals. BTW, I have heard people speak of their 223Rem achieving over 3200 ft/sec, but when ran over a chronograph it was more like 2600+ ft/sec. I have seen the 250 get between 3600-3800+ ft/sec, and this running the over a chrono. For coyotes the 250 is good but I consider something in 6mm to have some advantage. Just my 2c.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 22-250 seems to have more blast than my .243, recoil about the same in both, so I pretty much hunt deer with the .243. I have taken many youth hunting and by far, the .223 is more pleasant for them to shoot. The .223 does do the job. I use to shoot bunches of jackrabbits and the 22-250 with jacketed bullets was way too much blast from inside a pickup and not saying it is a heavy kicker, but enough so it became discerning. The answer was use cast bullets in the 2000--2200 fps range. I could also do that with my .222. My .223 is very accurate with jacketed bullets, but wont shoot cast. For me, I'd go .223 over 22-250 any day.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a blaser 22-250 barrel and bolt head.

Adding a 223 now is just buying another barrel.

I also have a sweet cz527 that Wayne at ahr has bedded ect

Will be fun to shoot these two guns

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys need to start popping those Alligators down your way. First dogs and pets, now humans.

Posts: 20163 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Mike

They have different rim diameters, 22.250 is .473" and the 223 is .378".

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:

Mike

Same bolt head for the blaser r-8.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
It the best of the 22s It will work perfect for anything from P dogs to Deer and Antelope and its the perfect coyote caliber..for big game use the Hornady 60 gr. SP or HP..and keep in under 300 yards it seems.

I don't own one anymore because I have a 6x45, a 22 Hornet and an old Rem 722 in 222 Rem, they suit me and I don't take my varmint hunting too serious, a miss bothers me not and I usually use a 250-3000 for deer or larger..

All in all balistically its the best of the best IMO..Compared to the 222, 223 etc, it just "MORE' of the same good stuff. How can you beat that!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42161 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with the .22-250, except that it took something like thirty years to get it from wildcat to factory status. Interestingly, Browning was marketing Sako-built .22-250's in its Safari line for several years prior to factory ammunition being available.

It is perhaps a little better round than the smaller .22 Centerfires for larger varmints like coyotes where sustained shooting of numerous rounds isn't required. It will also fling a heavier bullet like a 60 grain Nosler Partition a little faster than smaller cases and thus is a bit better as a game round.

However, I would greatly disagree with those who recommend it over the smaller .22 Centerfires for colony varmints like prairie dogs or western ground squirrels. Its extra velocity provides little in the way of extended range and the significant extra powder it burns heats barrels much more quickly. It also tends to be slightly less accurate on average than the smaller centerfires. It's greater recoil makes it more difficult to see one's own shots (a great disadvantage in shooting at colony varmints), and that recoil (and additional muzzle blast) also takes a greater toll on your shoulder and ears in a day of sustained shooting.

I own several .22-250's, but when I go to the varmint fields I leave them at home and shoot a Fireball, Vartarg, or maybe a .222 Magnum if I want a "big gun".

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Get a 220 Swift if they make it.

Or better still, have a 26 inch barrel chambered for the 22-243.

Absolutely the best 22 caliber varmint there is.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68737 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

I love the .223 Rem for 95% of my varmint needs but when it comes to long range, my fast twist .220 Swift gets the nod. I dont understand the love affair with light bullets in .22-250 - at longer ranges wind rules the day.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
22-250, 220 Swift, or 22-243; all benefit from a 1:8 twist barrel. That gets you up as far as 77-grain bullets. Those have decent ballistic coefficients for bucking the wind out to 500 meters, and will also handle 55-grain bullets out to 500 meters.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Mike

I didn't know that. I'll have to take a look at the Blaser bolt and see how they do it.

quote:

I Ackley Improved one of my 22.250s which got me the powder capacity of the 220 Swift in a case that doesn't grow after firing like the Swift. The 35-36 grain bullets at 4,500 fps are amazing on prairie dogs and coyotes.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the 222 and 223 but it’s often so windy around here that the extra speed and/or fast twist high b.c. bullet option in 22-250 is areal big plus.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Mike

I didn't know that. I'll have to take a look at the Blaser bolt and see how they do it.

quote:

I Ackley Improved one of my 22.250s which got me the powder capacity of the 220 Swift in a case that doesn't grow after firing like the Swift. The 35-36 grain bullets at 4,500 fps are amazing on prairie dogs and coyotes.

Frank

I will double check with blaser next week but I think I was wrong in that the 22-250 uses the same bolt head as everything non magnum from 22-250 to 9.3x62.

The micro bolt head is for 204 ruger, 222 and 223.

I will save my micro bolt head for when blaser makes a 300 blackout or I will get a threaded 223.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
To each his own, so I have no quarrel with your owning a multi-barrel rifle.

However, the multi-barrels were invented, or at least popularized, by firearms laws in a number of European countries which limit the number of firearms a person can own. In many of these countries a multi-barrel rifle counts as only "one" regardless of how many barrels in different calibers you own for it.

I have a hard time understanding why someone in the U.S. would choose a multi-barrel when you could own individual multiple rifles for less money -- and be without the vagaries involved with re-sighting for each individual barrel/caliber. As I say, this is not a criticism, just my puzzlement.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
To each his own, so I have no quarrel with your owning a multi-barrel rifle.

However, the multi-barrels were invented, or at least popularized, by firearms laws in a number of European countries which limit the number of firearms a person can own. In many of these countries a multi-barrel rifle counts as only "one" regardless of how many barrels in different calibers you own for it.

I have a hard time understanding why someone in the U.S. would choose a multi-barrel when you could own individual multiple rifles for less money -- and be without the vagaries involved with re-sighting for each individual barrel/caliber. As I say, this is not a criticism, just my puzzlement.

I like blaser and platform guns for several reasons

Blaser as rifles
- super safe
- I like straight pull own a lot of k-11 and k-31 rifles too
- super accurate
- super fast follow up shot. I have hit my safety shot in a mule deer as it was bucking from my first shot.
- super reliable
- success stock is the best fitting rifle stock. I can shoot it single handed.

Blaser at platform

- best scope mount. I can have multiple scopes for same barrel. I have 6 barrels and 10-12 scopes. I can for from suppressed to unsuppressed in 308 by swapping out suppressor and scope in 1 min.

- excellent engineering

- one of the best barrels in the world

- removable super safe trigger. Best gun to climb fences, hunting stands ect with.

Blaser as financial value

I am 47 year old and left handed due to left eye dominance. I don’t want to invest in 10-20 custom left handed rifles that selling in 15-25 year would be miserably painful.

I have 2 blaser stocks of which only one is left handed (success stock). I have 3 left handed bolt heads. Everything else is neutral. I can sell bits and pieces of my guns off and recover a good bit of my invested capital. My other 100 plus guns that is going to be impossible.

I am tired ofhousing guns. I don’t shoot most and they take up space. I need to start selling guns in the next few years.

Only guns I am buying are blasers and other specialized guns - threaded handguns ect for suppressors.

I rarely travel with my blaser broken down.

I like single shots too - ruger number 1 and maybe k-95 when one is available from blaser. After getting blaser (more precisely blaser success) I rarely look at other hunting rifles. There is no impulse buying of rifles other than an interesting ruger number 1 ect.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Because you like them. Good enough.

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
A lot of people say I am nuts but I have used my 22-250 on deer before. Couse deer which are pretty small compared to their Eastern cousins. Bones are not that heavy. I have killed 3 Couse under 350 yards, all three were perfect bullet placement and they took 2 steps and fell. The other 2 Couse I killed at 375 and 450 yards. All of them with a 55 grain Sierra BTSP GK. The 450 yard shot was quartered away and it still exited out the opposite shoulder.

In other words, 22-250 is one of my favorite calibers. Very versatile and accurate. Never wounded an animal with mine.

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MyNameIsEarl:
A lot of people say I am nuts but I have used my 22-250 on deer before. Couse deer which are pretty small compared to their Eastern cousins. Bones are not that heavy. I have killed 3 Couse under 350 yards, all three were perfect bullet placement and they took 2 steps and fell. The other 2 Couse I killed at 375 and 450 yards. All of them with a 55 grain Sierra BTSP GK. The 450 yard shot was quartered away and it still exited out the opposite shoulder.

In other words, 22-250 is one of my favorite calibers. Very versatile and accurate. Never wounded an animal with mine.

Someone I hunt with in South Carolina low country has shot hundreds of deer with 22-250. I just think it is a cool little round based on a very accurate 308 case.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Someone I hunt with in South Carolina low country has shot hundreds of deer with 22-250. I just think it is a cool little round based on a very accurate 308 case.

Mike

The 22.250 is based on the 250-3000 Savage case which was developed in 1915

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

The 22.250 is based on the 250-3000 Savage case which was developed in 1915

Thanks Fjold

I just got the barrel but I am traveling outside the us for next 2-3 weeks.

Looking forward to shooting it.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive shot enough Coues and mule deer on my ranch in far west texas over the years to know the 222 or 22-250 will kill them very well indeed with a 60 gr. Hornady HP or SP out to 200 yards and beyond of occasion..I do however fault the 22S AND 6MMS IN that they in many cases do not leave a blood trail and they can on occasion blow up on a shoulder blade, so bullet placement is the key to success, but in reality if you like light calibers I would always suggest a 250-3000 or the standard deer calibers like the 270 and 30-06..So many do not REALLY know their skill level as to shooting and hunting..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42161 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot and reload both calibers and both are great choices. In an MSR Platform I would choose a 5.56 /223 with a 1:8 twist barrel between 20-24" long. [55-75 grain bullets]

In a Bolt Rifle I would choose a Savage 12 22-250 Hands down with 26" heavy barrel. [comes with 1:9 or 1:12 Twist]

Get an reputable barrel manufacturer to make a 1:7 or 1:6.5 Twist rate HB 26" Long. [shoot up to 90-95 grain bullets]

If cost is not a concern then the 224 Valkyrie in the MSR platform can run a 90 grain bullet 1000 yards with similar TRAJECTORY to the 6.5 Creedmore.

Federal and Hornady both make ammo for the 224 VAL.

Some Days You Are the Windshield and Some Days You Are the Bug.