New
Find
Notify
Tools

which 22 Hornet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have always wanted a hornet, not sure why, just do. Frankly I think they're all over priced for what it is, but hey I want one pretty bad lol.

The Savage 40 is out, as its heavy and a single shot. I want a nice sporter weight gun...I might consider a single shot but I don't want a "varmint" gun, make sense?

So, do you guys have any experience with either the Ruger 77/22H, or the CZ 527? Very similar, but id like to hear anyones thoughts or experience.

Also thinking about a TC Encore......just cause it would be easy to take care of a few "wants" in one rifle. I guess even the H&R would be considered if I could ever find one, and it looks like its being phased out on the barrel swap program from H&R.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CZ-527 Hornet is fine. Also I think Browning still chambers their A-Bolt in .22 Hornet. I had a Ruger Model 77/.22 Hornet but wasn't happy with the accuracy so I sold it. My present Hornet is a Kimber Series "S" model 82 which is the most accurate Hornet I've ever owned. At one time I had two Winchester Model 70's in .22 Hornet but they were rather heavy rifles for the Hornet. I would like to find a Winchester Model 43 in .22 Hornet some day.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger M77/22H had very significant accurcy problems in its earlier years of production. It seems that Ruger has corrected some of those problems and current production performs somewhat better, on average. I like the little action and the general configuration of this gun. I own an older one which the previous owner rebarreled to .22 KH, and also mounted a new trigger on. It's a ringer.

The CZ has a reputation for being accurate, but has three significant drawbacks, one of them inexcusable in my opinion. Its safety operates BACKWARDS! Yes, forward is "safe" and rearward is "fire". This is an accident waiting to happen. The other major shortcoming is that the root of the bolt handle is very thick, making properly low scope mounting impossible. The third, and less problematic, is that it has a detachable magazine which protrudes below the stock line. That is forgivable, but it does tend to catch on things and is not particularly pretty.

The Browning is the same action on which .308's and .338 Federals are made. It seems inappropriate to me to use such a large action for such a small cartridge.

As DRS mentioned, the old Kimbers are super, both in action and in accuracy, but they are out of production and a nice used one will set you back around $1,000 or so.

The little Sako P72, P75, and M78 (all virtually identical) has the same attributes as the Kimber 82, with an appropriately small action and good accuracy. There have been a few of these showing up on the auction sites and going in the $700 range.

If you want a rifle which was adapted from a pistol which started out as a shotgun action, then the TC is a candidate. I personally would only keep one of those in my outhouse to shoot burrowing skunks and marmots.

I can't make you a good case for owning a .22 Hornet, but I own three of them and can only tell you that if I came across a fourth at the right price (like a little Walther or Brno), I'd own yet another.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned several hornets, my favorite is the Cooper Model 38 Classic. Fast, accurate, a joy to carry and shoot.
GWB

and some loads/groups (100 yds)

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GW!

Thanks! I should have mentioned the great little Cooper! But they only offer it in single-shot. Why in the world won't they put a magazine on it so they could sell it to hundreds of guys like me who sometimes need "another chance" (or two or three).

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned the Ruger M77, with the 20" barrel, for over a decade, and load for twin owned by a friend. Both Rugers shoot very, very well using Lilgun powder, small pistol primers and a 45gr bullet. Only mods done were a Timney spring & sear kit. Beautiful rifles.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The worst thing about a Cooper is that it is made by Cooper!!!

I am a hornet lover too. I have to old Savages that are both tack drivers. One of them was my first rifle a 340. Both have horrible triggers.

My current fav is a Browning Low-Wall! A tack driver as well. With a little trigger honing...it has a good trigger.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had numerous Hornets over the years. The only one I lament not having was a M70-never could afford one when they came along. All were excellent shooters especially with 4227 and 40-45 gr bullets.

My current Hornets are;

#3 Ruger. A delightful rifle that I've about shot out the throat in. I've had this one since '75 and have killed thousands of ground squirrels and other varmints with it.

Savage M40. A heavy single shot rifle but a real accurate one. This rifle will get lots of action on ground squirrels out to 250 yards with a 45 gr Hornady Hornet over 13 gr of LilGun for right at 3000 fps.

TC Contender Carbine with 21" barrel. A delight light weight walk about rifle. Mine has the brown thumbhole rear stock on it. The 45 Hornady Hornet bullet over 12.5 gr of LilGun runs 2700 fps with less psi than winchester factory ammo (I have a strain gauge on this barrel and pressure testing was done with an Oehler M43 PBL). Groups with this load run pretty consitent at .75" for 10 shots. I guess i can shoot a lot of skunks from the out house with that load, eh?

TC Contender 10" barrel. I carry this along in the back pack when out shooting Rock chucks with my long range varmint rifles. I've the pistol Harris bipod on it so the pistol with 6X scope on it sits along side of me. If a ground squirrel presents himself out to 100 yards I shoot them with the TC Hornet. I use a cast bullet load in it with the 225415 Lyman bullet at 1800 fps. Pretty quiet and doesn't spook the chucks farther out.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gee i don't know how many hornets i have at the moment. browning micro medallion (this is hard to find excellent rifle on a micro action) anchutz, martini cadet, magnum research BFR, ruger, kimber, and a couple others i can't remember at the moment. most have been converted to k hornet. reason being that the k is much more stable than is the tapered case of the hornet. guess out of the bunch i can't pick just one, so i think i'll just keep em all

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I love those coopers.Nearly imposible to get down here in New Zealand though.I picked up a weihrauch HW60 in .22hornet,just slightly used. Very accurate with lillgun and 40gr hps.I think the lee factory crimp die works wonders on the thin hornet cases. It turned an average shooter into a top notch gun.Hope I can get the photos to work.

posted Hide Post
May be this time

posted Hide Post
Getting the hag of it now Smiler

One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
I have two, a nice little CZ 527 which is a delight. The other a Ruger #1 standard rifle, with a Leupold 6.5x20 target scope. It's big and heavy and so stable you can see the bullet holes when you pull the trigger. Overall I prefer the CZ.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always forget about the browning micro. Just can never seem to find one, probably has to be ordered.

No Cooper's for me. They could be the best shooting rifle in the worldand cost 10$ but I am still bitter about the mans political standing, so he will never see one red cent of mine.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
My first was a shot out savage 23D, I sold it and have been quite happy with a Ruger #3 which I have had for 16 years.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no cooper's for me either, i love the rugers now.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
TC Contender Carbine with 21" barrel. I guess i can shoot a lot of skunks from the out house with that load, eh?

Yes, but only one at a time. You'll have to open the outhouse door and step outside to have enough room to break the action open and reload. But be sure to remember to pull your pants up first. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
No Cooper's for me. They could be the best shooting rifle in the worldand cost 10$ but I am still bitter about the mans political standing, so he will never see one red cent of mine.

Agreed!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem guys,
I'm probably much more conservative both philosophically and fiscally than many that post on this forum.
Having said that, to you Cooper bashers,

Do you own anything of Austrian, German, Japaneese, Korean,or Russian origin such as rifles, optics, clothes cars, trucks,etc.
Do any of you use plastic or petroleum products refined from saudi crude (I believe 19 of the 9/11 highjackers were Saudis).
If so, your stance concerning Cooper rifles is somewhat hypocritical.
Each of the aforementioned countries have in the past directly contributed to the death of americans. I didn't vote for Obama and at the time, I fired off several e-mails to Cooper Rifles and Dan Cooper himself. Having said that, I do not believe that Dan Cooper has directly contributed to the death of American citizens.
The eight Coopers I own were bought used from ordinary American citizens who were owners or dealers. Several were purchased before the 08 election.
I am generally very positive in my posts, but I can't help but think you guys are being hypocritical.
Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure where the dead Americans figure into it....and I'm not trying to start a political debate in the wrong forum Wink I have no problem with anyone owning and being happy with a cooper at all. I just personally, will spend my cash somewhere else, that's all. I'm sure I unkowingly spend lots of money with companies who gave money to obama.....but I highly doubt any of them have to do with the shooting world. My problem, although only theoretical but not completely out in left field, was that Dan gave money to the man who might turn our worlds upside down, and put all his employees out of a job and take guns out of our hands.
Not to mention, I already hate the thought of spending 5-700$ for a toy lol let alone over double that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger 77/22 and regret not buying the cz instead. The Ruger has too many problems(bolt,trigger,throat,rotary mag) that I had to fix. The Cz would have been cheaper in the long run. Still an awsome cartridge. Mine is now a
K hornet. For 12 grains of powder it's a performer.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MHS
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I'll try again. I hate what Obama and his administration are trying to do to our country. I find it hard to believe that Dan Cooper was short sighted enough to contribute to a political candidate/party that would like to see even more gun control.
But Dan's political stance and contributions did not directly contribute to the death of any American citizens that I know of.
Ever heard of WWI or WWII. Ever heard of the Korean war, ever heard of 9/11. Thats where the dead Americans come in. Each of these countries and its citizens have been directly responsible for the death of many american citizens. Dan Cooper has not. You will not even own a second hand Cooper, bought from another american citizen, but yet you probably will buy a Honda, a toyota, a mercedes. You probably will buy clothes assembiled in Korea, China etc. you probably use gas or petroleum derivitives from Saudi Crude. All of the aforementioned have done a lot more harm to Americans than that done by Dan Cooper contributing $3,000 to Obama's election campaign.
Consequently I call you a hypocrite.
GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GWB,

Well, thankfully we are all entitled to our own free opinions. You have yours (and I use good ol' american corn fuel lol) I have mine. Mr. Cooper also has the freedom to do what he likes with his vote and his money, but at the same time I have the freedom to spend my money else where. I think we can leave it at that! I had a feeling Cooper rifles would get mentioned, and I had a feeling this would come up. It did, we discussed it, so I think we can leave that rifle off the table for this conversation. Now that we have that out of the way, lets get back to discussing Hornets! beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MHS
I appreciate your response.
PM sent.
GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a listing of the rifles I have owned in .22 Hornet at one time or the other:

1. Savage Model 340 (my first Hornet)
2. Pre-War Winchester Model 70
3. Pre '64 Winchester Model 70 Super Grade
4. Sako Model 78
5. Ruger #3
6. Ruger Model 77/.22 Hornet
7. Kimber Model 82 Series "S" Hornet
8. CZ Model 527 LUX

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Have always wanted a Win M-70 Hornet! Could not afford one when I bought my first a Savage 340 as well. This thread has gotten me in the mood to look for one.

Anybody shoot Barnes X bullets in their Hornet???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
one other one thats nice is the browning lowall. only thing is that on mine i ran a 221 reamer into it, which made it really nice

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
one other one thats nice is the browning lowall. only thing is that on mine i ran a 221 reamer into it, which made it really nice

I enjoy my Hornets, but the .221 is what the Hornet should have been! I bought a custom-built .221 on a Mini Mark X action a couple of years ago and find it to be a delight. The .221 brass is beefier than the Hornet brass and its rimless design feeds slickly from any magazine. I don't understand why more companies don't chamber the .221.

I also think the FN 5.7mm would be a trip chambered in a neat little action like the Sako 78 or Kimber 82.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MileHighShooter:
I always forget about the browning micro. Just can never seem to find one, probably has to be ordered.

I currently have three Hornet rifles, a Ruger 77/Hornet, a Win Model 54, and a Browning Micro.
Far and away the best of the three is the Browning; accuracy, handling, and looks. The balance is superb.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

Have always wanted a Win M-70 Hornet! Could not afford one when I bought my first a Savage 340 as well. This thread has gotten me in the mood to look for one.

I've not tried any Barnes "X" bullets. I would like to find a .22 Hornet in Winchester Model 43. There is an older Gentleman in town that displays some of his collection and one is a Winchester M-43 in .22 Hornet, and he also has one in .32-20!! BOTH are the checkered special grade. NOT FOR SALE!

David

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would like to find a .22 Hornet in Winchester Model 43.

What is a 43? I am not familiar with it?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought a custom-built .221

If one were to build a .221 and barrel it so it would shoot the 45 gr Barnes X bullets, what twist would one want.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had two 77/22s, both dogs accuracy wise so sold them, after pouring money into them trying to get them accurate.
I have a heavy barrel Anschutz and an old Kimber or Oregon model 82. Both are very accurate and they are what I should have bought first instead of wasting my money trying to get the Rugers to shoot accurately.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
man that was gonna be my next question about the Ruger...can it be "fixed" Frowner I was looking forward to taking advantage of the LGS having a clearance on magazines for 10$ each

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure the Ruger can be fixed. Just shim the bolt halves, put a Timney trigger in, have the barrel set back to shorten the throat, bed it, then work up a load with lil gun. Or buy something else like I wish I had done. My Ruger shoots now but I'm still mad at it!

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tough to beat the 527 CZ. I don't mind the magazine position. I have many 527 rifles and seldom if ever use the safety. My long neck doesn't mind the use of high rings for scope mounting. If you really have a problem Calhoon has a modified bolt he sells so you can use lower rings.
After all of this these rifles are damn accurate and great value.
Regards greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
I would like to find a .22 Hornet in Winchester Model 43.

What is a 43? I am not familiar with it?

The winchester Model 43 was introduced in 1949 and chambered for: .22 Hornet, .218 Bee, .25-20 Win, .32-20. For the first few years the bolt handle was stright up & down and then Winchester modified it so it was swept back like the Model 70's bolt handle. The .25-20 & .32-20 Win. were only offered a few years, and the .22 Hornet & .218 Bee were manufactured up to 1957 when they were discontinued. The Model 43 was an economy rifle and was very accurate, light weight & sold for around $60 for the uncheckered Walnut stock & a few dollars more for the "Special" checkered Walnut stock.

David

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I use the 45gr Barnes XLC in my Hornet for coyotes.13.0grs Lilgun gets me around 2,900fps and MOA. When I run out of XLC's I'll switch to the TSX.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
k-22

where abouts do you normally head after yotes? I have been wanting to get into that but don't have much clue about it

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use the 45gr Barnes XLC in my Hornet for coyotes.13.0grs Lilgun gets me around 2,900fps and MOA. When I run out of XLC's I'll switch to the TSX.

What kind of rifle and what twist?

J. Lane Easter, DVM