Notify
Tools

which 22 Hornet?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
man that was gonna be my next question about the Ruger...can it be "fixed"

I won't promise that a new Ruger M77/22H from current production will shoot like you want it to, but a friend I warned about their reputation bought one anyway and his performs quite satisfactorily. Ruger has apparently cleaned up their act some since the earlier models. If I were currently lookng for a Hornet I think I might give a new Ruger a try.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MileHighShooter:
I always forget about the browning micro. Just can never seem to find one, probably has to be ordered.

No Cooper's for me. They could be the best shooting rifle in the worldand cost 10$ but I am still bitter about the mans political standing, so he will never see one red cent of mine.

Dan Cooper sold his holdings to the fella that owns Wilson barrels. Wilson barrels have been in numerous military applications, all American company.
The Cooper Arms name was kept for product recognition. Boycotting Cooper at this point is only hurting the employees that work and live in and around Stevensonsville Montana (about as American as you can get).
Dan Cooper is long gone so at least if your gonna boycott someone make it someone actually affecting something that matters. AARP, Ben&Jerry's etc etc. ( I believe in the boycott technique, just make sure of your target Smiler ).
That said I wouldn't buy a Cooper either if numb nut's Danny boy wasn't down the road, but he is and they are fine rifles so don't cut off your nose to spite your face, they are amazing shooters.
All that aside I've had a number of CZ Hornets's as well and all have shot excellently!! Love the CZ's. Also I have two Anschutz Hornets (one rifle one Exemplar handgun) and they are amazing if a bit spendy.
Big fan of the Hornet and K-Hornet, great fun.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dan Cooper is long gone

Good to know!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the good to know!

I have a friend that delas in used firearms, mostly upper end and a lot of estate sale stuff, I have him on the look out for a hornet for me. I guess they have a frequent customer who loves them and they keep a k hornet reamer on hand for his rifles....so if I get one maybe it'll be the K version!

I may just suck it up and get the CZ, the options all seem so limited and frankly I have never actually laid eyes on a Cooper, 77/22H or 340...only the Savage 40 and CZ. Hornets are a rare bug in these parts Wink

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a 1941 Winchester Model 70 short rifle, ( 20 " carbine ) for the past 20 years or so, I mounted an 6x Leupold Alaskan on it, it will shoot 1 inch groups with factory loads, and just under that with reloads, Speer 45 gr, with 2400 powder.

I bought the wife an CZ Luz in 1995, I had to rebed the stock, and smooth the trigger up, as well as the safety, with a 2x7 Leupold compact it will do about the same as the Winchester.

I love that M70 but it is HEAVY, that is why I had to find a lighter rifle for the wife.

James Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I may just suck it up and get the CZ, the options all seem so limited and frankly I have never actually laid eyes on a Cooper, 77/22H or 340...only the Savage 40 and CZ. Hornets are a rare bug in these parts

Don't forget the low-wall! I will try and post pics of my browning low-wall .22 hornet.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh how I would LOVE a Low Wall....but man I'm already balking at the 700$ price tag on the CZ lol adding another 4-500$ on TOP of that, just don't think i could pull the proverbial trigger.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Why not for a couple more thousand strap on a 20ga or 12 ga barrel

This is my 12ga/22hornet

By coachsells, shot with DSC-S980 at 2009-11-03

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too bad we don't have an importer on the list. You can buy various good used Anchutz 22 Hornet in Germany WITH a decent scope for $6-700....a Walther for less.

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Too bad we don't have an importer on the list. You can buy various good used Anchutz 22 Hornet in Germany WITH a decent scope for $6-700....a Walther for less.

WoW...I wish so too! I am looking for an Anchutz hornet on the 54 action.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Well it's hard to beat my 1936 Winchester Model 70 22 Hornet. A full-sized man's rifle for that little round. Topped off of course with the finest optics of the day, 2.5x Weaver 330 in Stith mounts. You might say that isn't a lot of magnification, but I get an impressive 20 or 30 feet field of view at 100 yards with the 3/4" tube Big Grin I shoot around 13 grains of lil gun and 45 grain Hornady's, very accurate. Took about a 300 yard shot on a South Dakota coyote in Decemeber because that was all I had. I'm proud to say that after several minutes of trying to find it in the scope, I managed to send one right over its back but close enough to scare the piss out of it. I love that rifle. If I get around to it I will post some pics.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MileHighShooter:
I have always wanted a hornet, not sure why, just do. Frankly I think they're all over priced for what it is, but hey I want one pretty bad lol.

The Savage 40 is out, as its heavy and a single shot. I want a nice sporter weight gun...I might consider a single shot but I don't want a "varmint" gun, make sense?

So, do you guys have any experience with either the Ruger 77/22H, or the CZ 527? Very similar, but id like to hear anyones thoughts or experience.

Also thinking about a TC Encore......just cause it would be easy to take care of a few "wants" in one rifle. I guess even the H&R would be considered if I could ever find one, and it looks like its being phased out on the barrel swap program from H&R.

I have now had .22 CZ 527's, both in Euro design with the light barrel and Euro stock.
Both of these rifles shoot into less than 1/2" for 5 shot groups at 100 meters, the first doing this over it's entire 6,500 rounds of life until that action was re-barreled and turned into a .17AH. The original barrel is now on a friend's Martini and continues to shoot amazingly small groups. It is the best shooting Hornet I've ever seen or heard of, still being about 1/8" better than my current 527 Hornet wich shoots sub 1/2" groups @ 100 meters.

Both rifles love Lil'Gun powder and 40gr. HPs', along with Vmax's and Nosler 40gr. BT's.
I use RP brass, partial full length sized, with only 1/2 of the neck sized.

I currently use 14gr. LG with pistol primers or rifle primers - never have blown a pistol or rifle primer now in over 7,000 total Hornet rounds. The new m527 rifle will also shoot small rifle primers, however the first had a definite preference for pistol primers only.

The velocity in the first rifle was 3,330fps with 14.4gr.barnes and Vamx's, and 3,357fps with Noslers while the new one 3,280fps average using 14.0gr.of Lil'Gun. I worked up to 13.3gr. W296 in the first rifle, again with 40gr. bullets for 3,300fps. haven't tried W296 in the new one yet, but note that LG gave more consistant results with all charges from 13.0gr. up to max capacity, which is 14.4gr. LG, slightly compressed by a .40 gr. bullet.
These loads are useable in a Riger #1, Ruger Hornet or CZ only as far as I know. Use them in no other rifle, although the pressures must have been below 50,000CUP as the limit for pistol primers is usually held to about 44,000CUP. Like I said, never blew a pistol primer with the LG or W296 loads in my rifles.

My best gophers, both witnessed, were 354yards using 13.0gr. with 40Vmax @ 3,200fps even, the first year of use and the second year, 445yards using the 14.4gr. load with Nosler 40BT at 3,357fps.

The Hornet, with modern powders AND modern rifles is much more than the Hornet of old - kinda like Trapdoor .45/70's compared to M95 .45/70 Marlins today.

I should also add it is imperative to use a stiff collet crimp using a Lee crimper. The bullet does not need a crimp groove to be heavily crimped with the Lee die. Note the crimp on HMR ammo - you 'almost' need a crimp like that and only a collet crimper like the Lee die can provide it.
SD's are held in the teens with the crimp. Without, they soar, with velocity spreads from 100 to 200fps shot to shot. The gradual tapered case, and thin brass cannot hold the bullet back against the primer flash which casues extreme spreads. Crimping properly with a Lee crimper prevents that.

Daryl S.

Posts: 169 | Location: Central B.C. | Registered: 27 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Daryl

Are you shooting these loads at 5000 ft above sea level? These velocities you are claiming seem very high relative to any of my manuals? Must be the crimp.
Regards Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Well Prewar70...if it ever needs a new home...all you have to do is ask for my address!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the running, but many more bucks, is the .22 Hornet double that Bailey Bradshaw has started to make. (See the thread on the Double Rifle Forum that documents his work to create a Damascus action version.) I've ordered one in .22 k-hornet with a faster twist to stabilize the 60-grain Nosler partition.

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned and loved an Anschutz 1432, an H&R single shot, and an older Krico. All gave good-to-great accuracy. I also owned but did not love a Ruger 77/22Hornet. But my all-time favourite, which I'm surprised that nobody seems to have mentioned, is an old Brno ZKM 465, converted to K-Hornet, with astonishing accuracy and an incredible set trigger. It's the only Hornet I own now, and I doubt I'll ever buy another. I see them on the used market fairly regularly, for very reasonable prices, at least up here in Canada. Well worth looking for.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recently purchased Ruger No.3 in 22Hornet/K and it is very accurate. Refinishing stock, will reblue, have checkered in appropriate carbine style and will make a very nice varmint/walkabout rifle.
If you can find a good No.3 in Hornet and don't like it, you can upgrade to 458Lott if you want more power for your particular varmints. Fine little rifle and shame that Ruger no longer produces them.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prewar70:
Well it's hard to beat my 1936 Winchester Model 70 22 Hornet. A full-sized man's rifle for that little round. Topped off of course with the finest optics of the day, 2.5x Weaver 330 in Stith mounts. You might say that isn't a lot of magnification, but I get an impressive 20 or 30 feet field of view at 100 yards with the 3/4" tube Big Grin I shoot around 13 grains of lil gun and 45 grain Hornady's, very accurate. Took about a 300 yard shot on a South Dakota coyote in Decemeber because that was all I had. I'm proud to say that after several minutes of trying to find it in the scope, I managed to send one right over its back but close enough to scare the piss out of it. I love that rifle. If I get around to it I will post some pics.

Pre war
Fortunatly I have a pre 64 Winch 70 in 22 hornet.

I can said that testing it with 74 reloads , with 8 different bullets , 4 different powders and 3 different primers , the combination of all this give me an impressive 3/4 inch group all around.
I had test various CZ , Ruger , Weirauch and Anschutz rifles in 22 hornet , but never I could get a rifle that shoot so consistently and so accurate

Posts: 66 | Location: Montevideo,URUGUAY | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I have shot in the Hornet is my Contender Carbine, 21 inch stainless barrel. Its not great acuracy wise. It shoots everything I have tried at around an inch. some down to 3/4 inch some up to 1 1/4. It shoots almost the same at 200. The groups grow to 1 5/8 to 2 inches. I would love a low wall with a tang sight just to see how well my old eyes can see.
DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had quite a few Hornets, the most accurate and attractive have been a couple of Brno ZKW 465's, made in the late 1940's. Brno made them into the 1970's, the quality of them started going downhill in the 60's.

These 465's are pretty common in Canada.

Posts: 85 | Location: Calgary Alberta Kanada | Registered: 30 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
I got a friend with the Ruger 77/22H in a stainless heavy barrel configuration. its a bad little gun. With factory ammo I was able to shoot sub 1" groups with a crap wal-mart BSA 4x scope @ 100 yrds.

I plan on getting one myself, I like the looks of the heavy stainless barreled with laminated wood. Has 5 shot magazine I believe and they are right around $600 brand new in the box...

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
PreWar. 50579 is a '45 serial number 5057 would be '37. What gives?

I've got a Kimber of Oregon K and a Cooper Hornet, used to be a K, but had an accident fireforming Wink.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
I plan on getting one myself, I like the looks of the heavy stainless barreled with laminated wood. Has 5 shot magazine I believe and they are right around $600 brand new in the box...

Don't know if your in a position to buy anything now, but there's a pretty decent guy (Warpig) over at 24hourcampfire with one for sale right now. Think it's in like new condition

I've got one, but haven't shot it yet so I'm not sure what it'll do. I've also had a CZ for over a year that I also haven't shot (shame on me)

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
As a lefty I had a very limited selection to choose from. I finally found a LH Kimber 82 Custom Classic. The gun shoots great with Lil-Gun and a few different bullets.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
You are correct, I don't have Rule's book in front of me but its a 50579, very late prewar configured rifle. I think I put 36 in there thinking of a different prewar I own.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of coyote bait
posted Hide Post
My Ruger shot a lot better after I floated that barrel.

Life is too short to be taken seriously, it is only temporary and none of us are getting out of it alive.

Posts: 45 | Location: Miltonvale, Kansas | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote