New
Find
Notify
Tools

New toy 17 Remington
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Scored a very nice Remington 700 yesterday chambered in .17 Remington. Have'nt done the research yet, but it is my understanding this particular {rcvr and bottom metal fully engraved} version was only made for a year or two. Hoping to take it on a West Texas Spring turkey hunt in late April early May. I'm not set up to handload for this rifle yet, but was amazed by what is available for it, it is definaitly a handloaders rifle as factory ammo seems to be limited and besides I may slow it down a few hundred feet per second. Bore looks good, but don't have a cleaning rod small enough to run down the bore yet. What do you guys think? Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rodney, I shoot 5 different 17's and reload for 4. I like the 17 rem. You can load it up or down, shoots flat and accurate. Its a little much for small varmints up close if you want to keep the pelts but it will definately reach out an touch those varmints.
If you decide to reload, you will need to get a cleaning rod. I suggest carbon fiber or graphite because it doesn't bend out of shape like a steel or aluminum rod. You will also need a powder funnel. Many 17 caliber bullets are flat base so it helps to chamfer the inside of the case. I also find that a ball or fine grained powder is easier to load than a stick powder.

My go to load is 25 gr hornady hollow points over 27.5 gr. W760, Rem. 7-1/2 primers at +/- 3900 fps.
GWB

grey fox and a remington 700 lvsf chambered in 17 rem

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response, I think this one maybe a keeper. Original thoughts were to use it for a turkey gun, but I'm seeing many more uses for it. Have not fired it yet so there is no report concerning accuracy at this point. Picked this one up used at a local gunshop and found it to be like new, must have been a safe queen as I'm thinking if previous owner had used it, it would have not been for sale. Checked the trigger pull and measured it at 2 lbs 12 ozs. Soon as I get a cleaning rod I'll see what the barrel twist is and put a few rounds through it. At least upon purchasing this rifle I was able to find one box of Remington Express Rifle 25 grain Hornady hollow point. Almost can't wait to get to the range with this one. Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rodney I used one a lot for coyotes and found that if it was loaded down to no more than 3500 to 3600 fps it worked far better.
It was far to volatile otherwise and I would get a lot of runners.
Loaded down it will penetrate well as long as I stay off the shoulders.

Congratulations, that is a beautiful rilfe, had to wipe the drool off my keyboard.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rodney, I have found remington 700's to usually be pretty fair buys. I am not a remington historian but with the white line spacers and the appearance of the rifle I would bet is probably 20 years old or so and probably will be a shooter. Due to the cost of ammuniton I find most rifles such as this have not been shot very often.
When I buy a used small caliber gun such as this I do several things.

I get the barrel absolutely clean. Use whatever you like, but I find foaming bore cleaners are too messy on a bore this small. jb bore paste and a bronze brush works well for me. I then use alternating dry patches and kroil soaked patches until there is no residue or color on the patch. You might even go back with some flitz metal polish after this. Make sure the barrel is absolutely free of carbon and copper. you should be able to get 50 -70 rounds down the tube min before you have to clean again. You'll quickly notice your groups opening up when its time to clean.

I free float the stocks. Sometimes I use aluminum foil as shims to raise the level of the action so I do not have to take off so much wood. If you want a cheap way to open up the barrel channel, get different diameter wood dowel rods and take coarse to fine sand paper and wrap around the dowel and staple it to the wood. These work great.
I work on the triggers to get them to break around 2 lbs. With the older remingtons you can do that. There are guys on e-bay or gunbroker that will sell you a reduced power sear and trigger spring kit for about $12.00.
I use medium magnification scopes. The one on your rifle looks like a 3.5 x 10 x 50 leupold, which should work out to 200 yds on the smallest of varmints. Good luck on your rifle. Post pix after you shoot some groups. Or what might be more fun is to shoot a couple groups at 100 yds before and after.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rodney, I went back after my last post and pulled a target where I had done some load testing.
This is the rem 700 lvsf in 17 rem. pictured above. Dead stock other than free floating and trigger adjustment to my satisfaction and barrel cleaned. Six groups were shot and the barrel was not cleaned between the first and sixth group. The first group which is not pictured was to establish zero. The next five groups which are pictured were shot with about a couple of minutes between each group for barrel cooling only. I reloaded with rcbs dies, rem 7-1/2 primers, 25 gr. hornady hollow points, and an oal of 2.150 on all rounds. The groups were shot at the pearland shooters club off concrete bench and my rest. Measured 100 yds. Shooting chrony set up at 10' from muzzle. Scope was a Leupold VX3 2.5 x 8 x 36. Day was brite and sunny. About 50 degrees F. Wind about 10 mph.
I chose 27.5 gr of w-760 and haven't looked back
GWB

28 gr w-760

27 gr w-760

24.1 gr. IMR 4320

27.4 gr w-748

24.5 gr H4895

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think I'm gonna really be happy with this little rifle. Since my accident last August recoil is out of the question and when I saw the 17 Remmy on the shelf complete with the vari-x II c 3x9 pwr scope I just had to have it. The shop I got it from has a cleaning rod in the back for the 17 that I can borrow until I can get one. I'll run by the shop this afternoon. Gotta get some brass, dies and bullets. Looks like I got the 17 fever! Rodney.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update- Made the trip into Houston today and picked up a cleaning rod for the .17 and scored 4 more boxes of ammo for a total of 5. Also found another shop not far from me that stocks the .17 Remmy. Next step is handloading supplies and some range time- think I'll get some in one morning early next week. I'll post some pics of targets no matter how bad they may appear. Rodney.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to seeing your pix.
GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first target pics will be of factory ammo with the Remington 25grain Hornady HP as I have four boxes of this and a fifth of Remington 20grain ACCUTIP-V Boat Tail- just hope it's not windy that day. I'm confident with the rifle, It's me I'm worried about. Rodney.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was able to get to the range this afternoon, conditions were good so the large groups are all on me. These are the very first rounds out of this rifle for me and are right from the bore sight tool straight to the range. All shots were at 100 yards and Remington factory ammo was used. Rodney.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya, Those are some really nice groups, but just couldn't help but think you were really having a helluva time trying to hit that dime!!!........Sorry......jp

Posts: 217 | Location: SW of Dodge City | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not a remington historian but with the white line spacers and the appearance of the rifle I would bet is probably 20 years old or so and probably will be a shooter.

Looks like a J lock on the bolt shroud so probably not that old, Rem. made the .17 in the BDL up till a few years ago.

My .17's like the 25 gr. Berger Match bullets and Rem. 7 1/2 BR primers.

With that bullet at 3500 fps I have had very few exits on bobcats.

one of us
posted Hide Post
500.....I just sold a .17. I have a few boxes of loaded ammunition, lots of new brass,a box or two of Hornady bullets, and two sets of RCBS dies that I would sell reasonably. If you are interested, e-mail me at: Oldmodel70@aol.com Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jfromswk,
Actually since it the last one I own, I could not afford to put a hole in it, so I just shot around it.

Rodney, I shot yesterday also, wind was kickin up around 10 mph where I was. What time did it lay where you were shooting. I don't think you will have to much problem tuning you handloads. Have you done any work on the rifle yet or is it dead stock.
GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya, Dead stock over the counter with the exception of possible trigger job as it measures 2 lbs 12 ozs unless thats factory. I believe it is possible these are the first rounds down the tube since proof firing at the factory. Conditions at the range were good with occasional breeze.
Oldmodel70, I would be interested in the gear and will send an e-mail later today. Alot going on this week but I'm interested. Thanks, Rodney.