THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    A Successful PA Deer Hunt With My George Gibbs

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Successful PA Deer Hunt With My George Gibbs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I purchased this stalking rifle earlier this year off of an auction site. The rifle spoke to me. I had a hunch that it was a diamond in the rough. I bought the little Steyr 1893 and performed a conservation on her. Later I found out that was made by George Gibbs. I made the 6.5x53 brass from 303 Enfield and worked on finding an accurate load with Prvi 129 gr bullets.
I decided that this little rifle was heading out into the PA woods for buck season this year.
Yesterday afternoon, I had an opportunity to shoot a 7 point buck with the rifle and my plan came together. I downed the deer with a 100 yard shot with aperture sights offhand. The right antler popped off when he rolled down the hill.
It was a great day!

Posts: 83 | Location: Brownstown, PA | Registered: 04 January 2022Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Nicely (and classically) done, both rifle and hunt!

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks bpesteve. It's nice when a plan comes together.
I get a lot of ribbing at camp for not using a scope. I tell them that as long as I can shoot accurately with aperture sights, that's what I want to use.

Posts: 83 | Location: Brownstown, PA | Registered: 04 January 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story, thanks. Made my day.

Mike

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1056 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
fjrdoc, you might enjoy this related thread. Congrats on your success.

https://forums.accuratereloadi...401047612#4401047612

Mike

Posts: 21198 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike
Thanks for sharing the link to your thread. I love your rifle and it's accuracy is impressive!
These rifles are so nimble and light. The 6.5 has very little reoil. It's hard to imagine that kind of penetration in such a light shooting rifle.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple of Dutch 95s pass through my hands, but the barrels were too far gone to fool with. Absolutely classic rifle and caliber. Excellent job!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Nice! As a fellow (successful this year) PA deer hunter, I know the feeling of taking a project or pet rifle afield and bringing home the venison. Any thoughts on how you're going to handle the dislodged antler? Screw it back on when you mount it?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to do a European mount and probably glue/epoxy the antler in place. I was hoping to get a doe this year but that didn't work out in rifle season. I was using my 1905 Mannlicher in 9x56. I reloaded with my own cast 200 gr hollow points. I was anxious to see how they perform on game. Maybe next year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well darn it, now I want one...

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote