Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: ammo for a 25-06
 Login/Join

posted
thanks for the replies i am definately going to look at he barnes bullets as well as say a softpoint for deer. i feel that or the barnes in say a 100 grain would work out i think
thanks to all who have left their replies for me it does give me a better bearing on what i need to do
rob k

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I have not bought any factory stuff for my .25-06 as I am a pretty avid handloader. I can tell you I've gotten some good groups with 117 gr Hornady's and 115gr. Barnes XLC's and wouldn't hesitate to hunt deer with either.

Because of this I think I'd buy Hornady factory stuff and then second find out what Federal loads. I've had good luck with Federal ammo when I have bought it (for my .338before I got dies). I've bought a few boxes of Winchester ammo on closeout for the 7mm RM when I first got it and I wouldn't flinch if I were stuck with it either.

The ballistic tip and SST are for shooting into ribs. I've passed up shots because of the angle when using them. When they do find the chest all thats left is soup! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote