THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    243 Steyr or Sako Finnlight (I bought the Steyr)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 Steyr or Sako Finnlight (I bought the Steyr)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thank you for input on'20" 243'.
I've 2 rifles lined up .
A Sako Finnlite or Steyr Mannlicher Prohunter(20") both Stainless Synthetic.
I've owned SAKO Hunters in 22/250,6PPC,270 and'06.The best shot .22"and the worst .5".
BUT I fancy a change.
I,ve read Mannlichers are good but have no 1st hand knowledge and cannot find any recent reviews.Is there any one out there using one?
Cheers Rob T

[ 06-12-2003, 04:13: Message edited by: Rob T ]

Posts: 64 | Location: Merseyside,England | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've got a Steyr Model L in .243. While stationed in Germany, I saw the hammer forged barrel & had to have one (ok, two)! I will not claim better groups than my american rifles, but certainly equal and I just liked the classic looks. The finish was perfect, the barrel forging marks neat, the stock nice, the trigger pull at 3lb, and the (heaven forbid) detachable mag works fine. It's a classy gun--and I'm sure you would hear much the same from the Sako fans about their choice.

Posts: 5 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 22 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob T:
Thank you for input on'20" 243'.
I've 2 rifles lined up .
A Sako Finnlite or Steyr Mannlicher Prohunter(20") both Stainless Synthetic.
I've owned SAKO Hunters in 22/250,6PPC,270 and'06.The best shot .22"and the worst .5".
BUT I fancy a change.
I,ve read Mannlichers are good but have no 1st hand knowledge and cannot find any recent reviews.Is there any one out there using one?
Cheers Rob T

Neither IMHO - I do know of at least one professional stalker in the UK who had a 243 pro hunter that was dissatisfied due to accuracy problems. The reviews of the finnlight also highlighted a tendency for shots to wander as it heated up and it is very expensive for such habits.

The standard sako stainless synthetic gets only excellent comments from the people who I know who have one.

Sorry to be negative.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a prohunter in 243 as well as 376. No accuracy problems with either one. I took the 243 to the range the first time after putting a scope on it about a month ago. I used a 600 yard reduction target on a 100 yard range. First 2 shots in the 7 ring. Dialed in the next two shots and everything 9 or above after that with several X's. Im an ok shot but not great by any means. If I can shoot that well with it then there is certainly no accuracy problems. At least with this gun. Oh by the way it was factory standard ammo, no handloads. I will also say the same thing of the 376. I took it to Africa last year and it preformed wonderfully. I for one really like the prohunter.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input,

I bought the Steyr.

I,m using H4895(cos I,ve got loads left from an other Rifle I sold)

.7"@100y with 75g Hor'HP's ,39g H4895.(Since loaded 38.5g =.45")

1"@100y Speer 85g SPBT,37g H4895.

Both up there but not max.
Have tuned OAL only.

Will start powder charge tuning next week.
Only fired 40 rounds and very impressed.
Dual trigger excellent.

Update, 14/06/03. First outing 15 Bunnys x 17 shots ranging 148-265 yards with 75g HP.
Cheers Rob T.

[ 06-27-2003, 03:32: Message edited by: Rob T ]

Posts: 64 | Location: Merseyside,England | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote