THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Exporting a .223 or 5.56mm form the US

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exporting a .223 or 5.56mm form the US
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a friend of mine in the US right now and we were both interesting in buying some AR-15 clone, I have been told that a recent change in the law forbids the export of any rifle chambered in 5.56mm, and there was something about rifles with collapsible stocks or flash hiders being banned from being exported. Does anyone have any concrete information? And if so does anyone know of any of that type that would satisfy the requirements for exportation. Here in Denmark it is possible to buy semi aoutos in 5.56 but the prices, even for the not so good models, are a joke.
Thank you very much for your help.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." (Attributed to George Orwell).

Posts: 72 | Location: Aalborg Denmark (sometimes Mexico) | Registered: 12 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think your challenge is in the importing country more than the exporting one. Yes, it is true that various U.S. agencies keep an eye on the export of guns that may potentially have military usage. However, I doubt that an individual exporting a single gun would trigger any restrictions from the State Department or DHS.

Of course, your phone will be tapped and your emails monitored for the rest of your life, but what else is new? Oh yeah, forgot: The U.S. Senate is just about to vote a confirmation that implies that the United States approves of torture. So, you may be waterboarded if someone with the CIA or other agency decides you may possess "essential" information. Have a nice day.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Funny, they look at the receiver and the serial number.. a lot of places get a lot more flexible about 'parts'....

Can you get a receiver in Denmark and then order things like the barrel and uppers from foreign sources?

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well i thought the problem with aquiring a semiauto would cvome form my gov. but actualy once you know the rules in DK it is pretty easy to to get permits for most kinds of guns. The restriction comes from the US in this case, at least that is waht the exporter told me, there is apprently a new set of restrictions to the export of rifles chambered for 5.56mm, according to them, they can not even export an upper half. My friend who was getting the other one had already talked to the local authorities and he was given the import permit. So the restriction is coming form the US. And while i do understand the idea behind a restriction on the export of military (like) firearms. I dont like the idea of the guys we are fighting in Afghanistan using weapons made by our allies. I think it sholudnt be a problem to export to democratic, politically stable countries.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." (Attributed to George Orwell).

Posts: 72 | Location: Aalborg Denmark (sometimes Mexico) | Registered: 12 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the issue isn't mil weapons, but any firearm exported by US citizen. You can probably buy here, and leave with it which is different from exporting one which is what a US citizen does. Got that? If you do, explain it to me. kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont really get your point kudude. I my friend who is in the US is studying one semester in Florida. He was told he could not buy any weapons while he was there since hi is in a student visa. But he could buy some and get some kind of export agency to send them to Denmark. As i said before there is no problem with getting the permit in Dk, but the expoert agency said something about a ban on expoeting rifles labeled 5.56 or rifles with a flash hider. If you have any good sugestions of any semi aouto that wil not have those characteristics i would appeciate it. I have heard there are some manufacturers that produce rifles labeled as .223 taht wil fire 5.56 without problems.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
5.56 or rifles with a flash hider.

Question I would ask is the issue the 5.56 with the flash hider or the 5.56. I have a nice accurate 5.56(oops .223) with a plain barrel. If it is just the flash hider I would live without it.
My rifle is a Rock River Arms chambered in 223. Many manufacturers chamber in 223 some in both. I fire surplus 5.56 in mine with no issue.

You might want to check on this site. Nothing but AR-15 type forums.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=3

And if you need to be put to sleep.
http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/official_itar_and_amendments.htm

GUNBROKER list the following three places as exporters. You might want to email or call them or look for other exporters via a search engine. To email them you will need to go to Gunbroker. http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.asp?FAQID=1110&NoCount=1

Philip C. Tong
High Bridge Arms, Inc.
3185 Mission St.
San Francisco, CA 94110
email: Click here to email me
phone: 415-643-9255
fax: 415-282-6520

Steve Herberth
ATF Defense Services
3940 Bardstown Road Suite 2C
Louisville, KY 40218-2657
phone: 502-491-6942
fax: 209-254-9659

Joe Andrean
Andrean Arms, Inc.
22 S. Main Street
New City, NY 10956
phone: 914-634-7646
fax: 914-634-7829

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that your friend was told pretty much what I said.

He can purchase a weapon for delivery to a firearms dealer in his country; however, a US citizen must "export" the rifle. Our government sees him as "importing" the rifle to his country. I hope that makes it clearer. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote