THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    New 25" .243winchester, on the way

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 25" .243winchester, on the way
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well I made up my mind (finally) and ordered another custom barrel for my T/C Encore in .243Win. This barrel is a tappered 25" tube. Hoping to get (at least) decent velocities out of factory ammo with it.
It should complement the 26" 270 & 24" Heavy barreled 338Win. that I already have.
So what is your favorite deer bullet for the 6mm.
I am considering starting with the 95gr Nosler Partition. (loaded by a CONLEY PRECISION CARTRIDGE). Or maybe Hornady custom 100gr btsp.

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
95 gr Nosler Partition and/or the Barnes 85 gr X. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite 6mm deer bullet is the out-of-production Nosler 100 grain Solid Base. The 100 grain Sierra has also worked well for me. Actually, I don't think you'll find a bullet between 90 and 100 grains that won't make you a good deer bullet, expecially the 95 grain Partition.

Never having been able to get a Barnes X bullet to shoot with any reasonable measure of consistency, I can't really speak to their performance on game. However, anecdotal stories tell of occasions in which they apparently fail to expand, so I would tend toward other types of bullets.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone Else?

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used the 243 in years but I used the 87 gr Hornady and took a bunch of deer with it up to 300 yds.Loaded with 37.9 grs of 3031.A lot of people will get bent out of shape,this was the hollow point not the spire point.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I agree with the Recommendations of Dan Belisle about the 95 gr Partition and the 85 grain X bullet,....

I love the Speer 105 grain Spitzer. When loaded to velocities from 2600 fps to 3250 fps, it has always been accurate and does a good job on deer size game. You can get a lot more of them than the upper two bullets, which will allow you to practice more, and make you a better shot!!!

I am confident in it to 300 yds, without reservation on deer here in Oregon. I have taken Northern Minnesota whitetails with the same set up, which are much bigger than the excuse that we have here for deer. ( Blacktails)
Mulies are draw only,,,,and politically motivated on who gets drawn in my opinion.
Typical when Democrats run a state.
[Mad] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
The .243 is the no.1 caliber for Icelandic reindeer and 95% of them are using the 100gr Nosler Partitions!

Regards

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark G, I've used a bunch of different bullets in the various 243Wins I've had over the years. Hard to beat any of the Nosler Partitions (85gr, 95gr, 100gr), or anyones 100gr bullet. They all seem to work about the same for me and it is best to be careful with shot placement.

My current Deer Load is the old 90gr Speer Hot-Cor which was originally designed for use in the 6mmRem when the twist was too slow to stabalize a longer bullet.

It works fine for me, but as with all 0.243" bullets, the Exits are typically small and the innards can plug the holes easily to prevent a blood trail.

Best of luck with the rifle. There are a lot of good bullets for it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook the 85gr Nosler Partition. I've made a LOT of 1 shot kills and never lost a deer. I shoot that bullet at 3150fps with H-414 out of 18 1/2" barrel on a Model 7. I also use the 95 gr Partition in another Model 7 that just won't shoot the 85's. It works great, too.

knobmtn

Posts: 221 | Location: central Pa. | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
What Seafire said. I started deer hunting with a 243 Bar in the late 70's, graduated to a 7mm in the mid 80's, my father took my 243, and since then has taken over 60 deer with it. I have loaded the Speer 105 gr. exclusivly, and have always had good luck with that round.

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

My Dad and I have killed several deer out to 150 or so yards handloading Remington 100gr. PSPCLs. Very inexpensive and accurate out of our guns and have worked like a champ. I posted a lengthy results story here on AR either under this forum or under the "big game hunting" forum. Its under the one titled "ultimate deer cartridge" or some such thing. Good luck.

Posts: 69 | Location: Havelock, NC USA | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote