THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Which .22 Hornet would you buy......
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which .22 Hornet would you buy......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I love the Hornet. I want another one killpc If you had a max of $600, what would you get? A CZ, Browning Micro, Ruger single shot, Encore etc. Thanks for your input Confused

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a $600 limit I'd buy a CZ. With a little bigger limit, I'd try to find a Sako 78.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just looked at Sako's web site and didn't see any Hornets. Not even a model 78. Did I do something wrong?

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too would vote CZ. They are great little rifles for the money.

Telly

Posts: 163 | Location: Vincennes, IN | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Sako 72, a Ruger 77 and a CZ Prestige
All in 22 Hornet. My next one will be a Brno then a Anschutz.
You can get a Brno for around $500
John

one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought BRNO and CZ were the same?

one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ is the way to go.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .22 HORNET:
I thought BRNO and CZ were the same?

BRNO and CZ are not the same, but they are close. BRNO manufactured a nice little .22 Hornet beginning in the late 40s through at least the late 60s. They also manufactured a .22 Hornet called the "Fox" in the 70s and 80s. The action in the loading/ejection port on this later model is significantly different from the earlier version. The earlier version [known as the ZKW 465] was a very high quality product, machined from solid bar stock, possibly even a forging.

The current offering by CZ is very similar to the early model BRN0. But there are some differences. The earlier BRNO's came with a double set trigger. The ejection/loading port [the distance between the two square bridges] is shorter on the early BRNO than on the current CZ, although the overall length of the actions is the same. The safety mechanisms are the same. I am pretty sure the CZ is a casting. If you compare a current production CZ to a 1949 BRNO you will see that the BRNO is a better finished product.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ hands down. Love my 527 varmint in 223.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Sako 78 is a 1970s/80s vintage rifle that was also sold in 22 LR and 22 Mag, all really nice rifles. Since I like mannlicher stocked rifles, I think that the CZ 527FS(?) would be a fun walking small varmint rifle.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger 77 has a very nice 6-round rotary magazine.

Posts: 515 | Location: AZ | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy and 223 and a handloading outfit. Load the 223 or 22-250 etc. to Hornet ballistics.

It's more fun, accurate and flexible.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of glockmeister71
posted Hide Post
http://savagearms.com/40Varmint.htm

A Savage model 40,well below $600.

Posts: 145 | Location: Knoxville,TN. | Registered: 12 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
glockmeister71, I love the model 40. I've looked at them and read every article I could find on them. Do you have one? How does it shoot for you?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Savage 99, how does the noise level compare between your downloaded .223 and a Hornet. i'm mostly interested in varmit hunting in areas where noise is an issue.
Also, how about performance?

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
Going by my experience with a CZ527 in 221FB, I would easily choose the CZ. I almost went with the Savage, but it looks a little odd, at least to me. I've also read that the Savage is built on the current rimfire action, and it's not nearly as robust as their other centerfire rifles... And with the CZ, you get:

1. Much better wood
2. 6 shots
3. A true mini-mauser centerfire action

Also, CZ and other European arms manufacturers have decades of experience building Hornets, which can sometimes be a tad fussy.

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Savage 99, how does the noise level compare between your downloaded .223 and a Hornet. i'm mostly interested in varmit hunting in areas where noise is an issue.
Also, how about performance?----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I load my Sako 75 .223 to hornet levels as we have several new houses near my farm. The accuracy is outstanding and the noise is just a bit more than a .22 LR Velociter. I would guess you have to use a touch more powder to get the same velocity out of the .223 case as opposed to the smaller .22 hornet case. That will make the .223 just slightly louder for the same performance..just my guess. I use 2400 in my .223 with Hornet bullets and whenever I want I just slip in a "maggie" and yon 250 yard coyote is in a heap o trouble boy! Not to stir the pot but my .223 has a outsanding record on deer here on my farm with Nosler 60 gr. Partitions. So everything from 8 point bucks to grey squirrels are on the menu with a handloaded .223. A great feeling for a walkaround rifle. Like carrying your deer rifle/varmint rifle and a .22 all in one. On the Hornet issue I would get the Anschutz HB SS that everyone has on sale ,good luck! FNMauser

Strike while the iron is hot! Look before you leap!He who hesitates is lost! Slow and steady wins the race! Time waits for no man! A stitch in time saves nine! Make hay while the sun shines! ect. ect.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 223 load that I would use to come close to 'Hornet' ballistics would be 13 grs of SR 4759 and a light for the caliber bullet. Such loads usually come in around 2800 fps. So the noise is going to be somewhat similar to the powder charge and bore volume.

"Here is my stance on reduced loads.

"reduced loads are something that interests me as well along with cast bullet loads which are similar. Since I have been handloading since March of 1953 it's my 53 anniversary of enjoying the passion that this forum is named for.

Of the accidents that I have seen directly caused by incorrect handloads having a double charge or no charge are the most common. These accidents can blow a barrel off a gun and send parts flying.

So please look into every case after charging it. A pen light is necessary to do this on small calibers. This is crucial.

Back when I started IMR's SR 4759 had been developed for reduced loads. Since the time that I started shooting reduced loads I have never found a better powder than 4759 in terms of bulk, accuracy or safety. It's clean burning as well.

The thing about double charging with fast burning normal density powders is that sooner or later it may happen. With most double charges of 4759 such a double charge will overfill the case. Also the loading density is higher which helps accuracy.

As mentioned the Speer Manuals give reduced loads for some cartridges and bullets and 4759 is a common choice from Speer as well. There is much other published data also by Dupont and IMR before Hogdon took over the distribution of IMR. At the momemt that data seems to be lost by Hogdon.

Here is some data from the IMR handbook for the 308 Win:

"Rem. Case: 9 1/2 PR Hornady 110 SPIRE PT.
.308 Dia.; 24" BBL.; 2.600" C.O.L.

SR 4759 31.0 (grs), 2710 (fps), 51600 (psi)"

"Velocity and pressure readings represent average values obtained under controlled conditions. The values shown may vary substantialy with the components and the reloading techniques employed. We suggest the charge weights shown be reduced initially by 10% to compensate for possible variations from the published data. The loads may then be increased as pressure indications permit."

Here is the data from the same manual for:

"REM. CASE; REM 9 1/2 PR
REM. 150 GR. PTD. SPCL
.308" DIA.; 23" BBL.; 2.700" C.O.L.

SR 4759 27.5 (gr) 2325 (fps) 51550 (psi)"

One can interpolate for the 125 gr bullet.

A while back when Eisenhower was President I noticed that many of the reduced loads using SR 4759 were about half the charge weight that was used for that cartridge with full charges of the usual powders. So I adopted that ratio as my nominal data for 4759. The 50% formula thus means that if the 308 uses 44 grs of conventional powder then half that charge or 22 grs of 4759 would be my load but only for the lighter bullets in that caliber. These have worked out to be final loads that are quite accurate as well.

As for the aiming of reduced loads you can use the bottom plex on your scope if you have that reticule and if it's a conventional variiable you can sight in your reduced load using the top of that heavy section of bottom plex as a post.

Now turn the magnification on your variable up and down to raise and lower the point of impact. A higher power will raise the impact.

Another idea is to only use a particular bullet for reduced loads. Thus in the 243, for instance, I use the 58 gr VMax as the full charge load and the 55 gr BT only for reduced loads to identify the loads.

Good luck and as always be careful."

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
With the ongoing success/interest in the AR-7 rimfire, I'm really surprised that no one can be talked into producing a reissue of the Armalite AR-5/MA-1 survival rifle. Possibly in 22 Hornet as original, or possibly even in 5.7x28mm

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of glockmeister71
posted Hide Post
quote:
glockmeister71, I love the model 40. I've looked at them and read every article I could find on them. Do you have one? How does it shoot for you?

I don't have one,but if I'm looking for a bolt action,Savage is always my first choice.I've been happy with every Savage heavy barrel I've owned.

Posts: 145 | Location: Knoxville,TN. | Registered: 12 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 527 in K Hornet . Worst feature is the short magazine that won't allow you to use ballistic tip type projectiles without modification . Some don't like the arse - about safety mechanism but you get used to it .
Best features are great wood , good finish , accuracy sub 3/4 MOA for 5 shot groups . Fantastic trigger once polished up a bit .
Wouldn't part with mine for what I paid new for it . Have a look here and you'll see what I mean :-
http://www.australianhunting.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9602&start=0

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a cz and am happy.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
cz american all the way

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to dream you could get a Sharps at www.littlesharps.com !! Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Savage 99

Do you have any data for a downloaded .22-250 load.

Would be very interested to hear about anything you have developed.

many thanks

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just looked at Sako's web site and didn't see any Hornets. Not even a model 78. Did I do something wrong?

The Sako Model 78 was the very similar to the earlier Model 72 and was made in .22 LR, .22 WMR, and .22 Hornet. It is a turnbolt with a 4-shot detachable magazine and was discontinued in the 1980s.

I own a nice example of one. As I have too many Hornets and CF .22's (if that is possible), this one would be for sale. As is fitting with its scarcity and quality, it would be a bit pricey but still competitive relative to the quality of currently available guns..

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Browning micro that I dearly love. It shot well under MOA with all factory stuff. The gun is a true 1/2 moa gun now that it is a 17AH CZ is about the best bang for the buck....but I hate that extended mag and backwards safety. I vote for Browning with CZ as a close 2nd.

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do DO NOT buy a Ruger 77/22 Hornet, most dissapointing rifle I ever owned. And I've not heard much better from too many others. That was the last straw for Ruger with me, they get none of my business. shame

Get a CZ 527 and you'll be happy.

Even happier if you get one in 221 Fireball instead of 22 Hornet. Big Grin

CZ 527 American 221 Fireball

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.:
Whatever you do DO NOT buy a Ruger 77/22 Hornet, most dissapointing rifle I ever owned. And I've not heard much better from too many others. That was the last straw for Ruger with me, they get none of my business. shame

Get a CZ 527 and you'll be happy.

Yes, I learned my lesson with the M77 in .223. I ended up buying a Hogue pillar bedded stock which helped but definatetly not worth the effort.

Even happier if you get one in 221 Fireball instead of 22 Hornet. Big Grin

CZ 527 American 221 Fireball

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I learned my lesson with the M77 in .223.

After several bad Ruger rifle experiences I just don't have enough faith in them to buy another.

Ruger needs to stamp Improved Cylinder or Skeet on some of their rifles because they pattern rather than group. Mad

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have herd the two piece bolt is the problem with the 77.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Echo the comments to stay away from the 77/22. Sent mine back to Ruger twice, and while they never admitted a problem, they are replacing mine with a new one. For sale NIB.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Friends-

Of the current lines of production rifles the CZ527 would be the choice without a doubt for a .22 Hornet.

That would be mi dos centavos.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of your suggestions! I really think I'm inclined to get the CZ. Now, which 527 would you get, the 527 American or the 527 Varmint?

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I dont think you can get the varmint in hornet the american was the next best thing so I got it

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the CZ in .22 Hornet and .221 Fireball. Very satisfied with both.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both the CZ 527 American and a Sako P72 in .22 Hornet. Love them both.

TreeFarmer
NRA Life Member

Moderation in the pursuit of decadence is no virture.

Posts: 262 | Location: PA & VA, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally would(will) get the American. A hornet is more of a walking around gun. My 527 varmint in 223 is not real heavy but not as portable as it could be too.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Retract the NIB 77/22 .22 Hornet for sale. Traded it this week end at Jaqua's for a 700 in .233. Trust this will get to be fun again.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did, and its a Contender w/ a24" hornet barrel. Win cases,small pistol primers, Speer 40gr Hornet bullets, and Lil'Gun powder. It will shoot 1/2" @ 50yds all day. PS: It also has cheapo $30 3x9 factory refurb scope.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote