THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Which .22 Hornet would you buy......
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which .22 Hornet would you buy......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a Hornet in my possession, of one brand or another since the 70's. Most have been SINGLE SHOTS. I have had 2 Rugers. Most shot an inch and one-half group [1 1/2].
I shoot a Ruger 77/22-Hornet with a wood stock, now. For a 45 grain bullet I stumbled on a 100 yard load, through stupidity, that you can cover with a dime.
9.7 grains of 2400.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .22 HORNET:
quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.:
Whatever you do DO NOT buy a Ruger 77/22 Hornet, most dissapointing rifle I ever owned. And I've not heard much better from too many others. That was the last straw for Ruger with me, they get none of my business. shame

Get a CZ 527 and you'll be happy.

Yes, I learned my lesson with the M77 in .223. I ended up buying a Hogue pillar bedded stock which helped but definatetly not worth the effort.

Even happier if you get one in 221 Fireball instead of 22 Hornet. Big Grin

CZ 527 American 221 Fireball

I totally agree. Dang shame you can't buy a circa 1947 M70 Hornet at the hardware store for $50 any more.

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.22 Hornet: congrads on your choice of the CZ. I own a CZ 527 Lux/American in .223 Remington that is scary accurate. My brother owns a CZ 527 American in .221 Fireball and loves the hell out of that one too. If it were me, I would take a hard look at the CZ 527 Full Stock in .22 Hornet. My brother owns a CZ 550 Full Stock in 7x57mm and it is one sweet little rifle. I own a CZ 550 American in 7x57mm and it is so damned accurate it is almost criminal to post results on this forum. A .22 Hornet in the Full Stock model, with a 4x12 Leupold Varix-1 mounted on top, would make one very sweet little outfit. The extra magnification would be useful at the range to see bullet holes at 100 yards. You might look at www.whittakerguns.com on the internet for CZs. They have excellent prices showing the CZ 527 Americans for $471 and the CZ 527 Fullstock for $544. By the time you pay shipping and handling and a decent FFL transfer fee, you are looking at about $594 for the fullstock and $521 for the American. Either way, you'll come out a winner. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Savage 40, starting with a clean cold barrel put the first three shots in a one and one half inch triangle and shots 4 thru 10 in a group that could be covered with a dime, right in the middle.

Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
Buy and 223 and a handloading outfit. Load the 223 or 22-250 etc. to Hornet ballistics.

It's more fun, accurate and flexible.

D I T T O !!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote