THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    6.5 x 284 brass/chamber differences?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 x 284 brass/chamber differences?
 Login/Join

<Talyn>
posted
Hi,

I just got my 6.5x284 hunting rifle from my gunsmith. It turned out just the way I want in.

Today I called Sinclair International to get some Norma brass (they're out with no idea when they might get more in)and the rep I talked to asked me if the reamer was a 6.5x284 Norma vs. a 6.5x284 reamer. According to him the Norma, Lapua & Hornady brass are abit larger in dimensions compared to necked down 284 brass. He said that the Norma, Hornady & Lapua brass wouldn't chamber in a chamber cut with the standard 284 case dimensions (6.5 of course).

Myself & my smith had never heard of this difference. We checked all our reloading manuals and the case dimensions appear to be identical except the bore. Can anyone shed some light on this? Your replies are appreciated.

Regards,

Talyn

<jeff crowe>
posted
I BELIEVE THE SINCLAIR MAN MAY BE MISTAKEN.
I HAD TO TURN THE NECKS OF THE 284 BRASS BUT THE NORMA BRASS WILL CHAMBER AS IS ( I SUPPOSE) -
I TURN THEM ALL. BEEN SHOOTING THIS BABY 4 YRS.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do have to turn the Norma brass to fit my chamber, but the Lapua brass seems to work without turning, tight, but it works.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
there is difference in BASE dia Lapua and Norma have bigger case diameter ( hornady I don't know ) that original 284 Win case if you shoot Win case in Norma/Lapua chamber that work but after few shoot you loos primer by too much case expansion .

neck is another story

BR match chamber have a neck in .290 or 0.291 you need to make neck turning

match chamber have a neck in 0.295 you can use case with you a neck cleaning

regular chamber have a neck in 0.300

best for hunting is to use the chamber know as 6.5/284 Norma factory chamber ( available from PPG in Oregon )or if you want you can use JGS 6.5/284 with regular Win case and use the RCBS set of die .

good shooting

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
I was going to build a 6.5-.284,but the brass problem,made me go to a 6.5-06 Imp.Don't have to worry about the supply drying up.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

<Talyn>
posted
Thanks for the feedback guys. I likely have a standard 6.5x284 chamber. I just got some 284 brass & it chambers fine. I hope the Hornady brass works also.

Nonetheless, I'm glad I finally got a 6.5x284 and it will be my standard rifle for this season.

Does anyone have any good loads to share?

Regards,

Talyn

<BIG GAME RS>
posted
I have a rem 600 w/24 in brl,shoot 120 & 125 nos. bullets 56 gr.wc 852 surplus pdr cci 250 primers,3150 fps moa.only recovered 1 120 sierra bullet out of 1 boar & 3 bucks great hunting round.