New
Find
Notify
Tools

358 Norma
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
anyone out there use a 358 norma to bag moose bear or buffalo?

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used it on moose and black bear. 250 gr bullets at 2800 fps. I don't remember the load off hand. It worked very well. Something about bigger holes, I guess. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<auto>
posted
I shoot a .358 Norma magnum. Kicks worse than my .300 Weatherby...why?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your norma uses more powder than the 300, and drops more energy on target than a 375 h&h so the recoil is expected

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by auto:
I shoot a .358 Norma magnum. Kicks worse than my .300 Weatherby...why?

Do you shoot it in an old Husky? Husqvarna more or less killed this fine cartridge here in Sweden with their hard-kicking rifles in the caliber. The stocks had a considerable drop, which made them kick as mule asses. A straighter stock would tame your rifle, if it�s such an old Husky.

Best regards,

Fritz K.

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<auto>
posted
My .358 Norma magnum is built on a 1903 Springfield action. It has a custom walnut stock with a roll-over cheek piece quite similar to the one designed by the late Elmer Keith. It will put 3 shots in 1/2" at 100 meters. I don't load it with as much powder as the .300 Weatherby, and haven't compared case capacity yet, but I don't think the .358 Norma case will hold as much as the .300 Weatherby. I will check the capacity tomorrow, as now I am curious. I use RL-22 in the weatherby, but have been using IMR 4895 in the .358 Norma.

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Hi Dark Paladin

Man, if you post about the .358 Norma in the "Small Calibers" section, I'd hate to shoot what you consider a "real rifle"!

My .358 Norma is currently at the engravers, but I hope to make some noise with it in a week or two...

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have a 300 Weatherby and 358 Norma. I believe that the 358 recoils more (at least in my rifles; Wby Mk 5 and a Mauser 98)because of a number of factors. First, you are moving heavier bullets. Second, barrel length- most Weatherby's have 26" barrels, most other magnums have 24" barrels. Third, as mentioned before, stock design comes into play. Now this really is a subject that is in the "eye of the beholder". Or more accurately, the body of the beholder. Depending on your shape and the design of your stock, you can have a good match or a very bad one. MY 300 has the regular Wby stock, which up to that caliber level I have no problem with. I have a Boyd's JRS I'm currently installing on the 358, and I hope it will help a little with the recoil. Fourth, what type of recoil pad is on the rifle? This also makes a big difference. When it comes to how much powder and case size, the Wby has a larger case than the 358 and burns more powder, so I don't think that is the reason. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do post the norma as a small caliber because they advertised the big bore as 375 h&h and above, and while a 358 hits harder it is not bigger then the H&H so i put it hear.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dark P.

I load ammo for a friend that use a .358 NM on moose. He�s really happy with it and the moose really hate it

I load 250 gr. Woodleighs to moderate speed and my friend reports about mooses not going far when fired at.

I load cheap practise ammo with Nosler .357 180 gr handgun silouette bullets. The Husqvarna rifle puts five shots at 2" at 100 Y. Great for the running moose range!

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After shooting my friends surplus 98 switched over to 358, I decided to due the same, except I kept the extremely heavy surplus stock and it actually seems to tame the 358 quite well.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
could i use 158 grn 358 win bullets for caribou and deer?

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Hey, another local 35 fan.

For caribou and deer, I'd use either a 225 sierra or nosler, you should be able to push them 3000 fps. Anthing lighter and softer would be a varmint bullet in the Norma. If you really want high velocity, barnes makes a 180 gr X bullet, should be able to push it 3200-3300 fps. On the down side, I'd consider the added muzzle velocity to be offset by how quicly the stubby bullet will loose speed.

I shoot a 35 whelen ackley that I plan to re-chamber to a 350 Rigby. I try and get out to Rabbit Creek once a week at lunch. Drop me a line if you want to hook up. There seem to be lots of folks up here that are fond of the 35's, and they use them regularly on moose and bears.

If you want some fun practice loads, try shooting some cast 180-200 gr pistol bullets over 8-15 gr unique. The lighter load is subsonic, quieter then a 22 rf, and quite accurate also superb for small game. The 15 gr will get you up around 1700 fps.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote