Find
Notify
Tools

New barrel what twist?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted
I havig trouble determineing the best twist for a new barrel. I will be a 257stw shooting 100gr TSX at around 4,000 fps. Recomendations rage from 1:10 to 1:12. I dont want to over stabalize and I have no plans to shoot a diffrent bullet.
Thanks
DR B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plans change, but your barrel twist won't. For me, I would want to be sure to be able to stabilize the heaviest, longest bullet available in caliber--especially in such a potent caliber.

Just my .02.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good question. That's about a heap of velocity with a 100 grain bullet, so I can't honestly cmt on what twist you should get. But, I had a custom 257 Roberts built just for the 100 grain bullet and I went with a 1-10 twist. I'm a dyed in the wool 100 grain bullet guy for the quarter bore.
Hopefully, one of the knowlegeable guys will come along with good advice.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
25 cal.100 grain going that fast.l would not go
less than a 1 in 12 and maybe 1 in 14..

Posts: 43 | Location: Hornell N.Y. | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember this, that TSX is a loooong boolit. It needs the 10 twist to stabilize it, I believe.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I had any doubts, i'd contact some of the barrel makers, most have a twist chart on their respective w/s's.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since it is an all copper bullet you won't have to worry about it coming apart. I'd go with a 1 in 10. But, if in doubt, call Barnes and see what they recommend.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Within reason, you can't overstabilize a bullet, but you can certainly UNDERstabilize one.

The 1:10 gets my vote.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9335 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the difficult to "over stabilize" a bullet.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1/10 twist for sure
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote