THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    What would it take to satisfy the 223 and deer threads?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would it take to satisfy the 223 and deer threads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 and precision man, would y'all be intrested in a hog/deer hunt with the big guns?
NE450 could use his 450NE 2
I coould bring the 470 NE
and Precision Man could bring the .577

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
quote:
Anyone here ever hunt cape buffalo with a .17 Remington ??

Let me fix that for you:

Anyone here ever hunt cape buffalo with a .17 Remington .45-70 ??

sofa
I know a guy who says he has killed brown bear with his 17 . Stopped a charge even , shot it in the pupil of its eye .........
. Now before ya,ll start in . There is a fair chance this is true .. I,m not sure on the charge stopping . But he got a bear hide from somewhere . And all he had was a 17 .

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some people are so smart they like making bad ideas work.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what the hell I'' fan the flames I killed this one last Sunday

30yds .223 rem 55grn sierra SPBT gameking

this appx 2" hole is the bullets entrance into the chest cavity after traveling though the leg and shoulder, the bullet then continued through the off side set of ribs to a depth somewhere greater then 3/4 the length of my index finger but short of passing through

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me it only takes an admission that this cartridge is not for all situations. A trophy quartering away at 150yds is not a situation for a 223....I think folks have admitted that..so the discussion is over for me. Like I said, I'll take the gun that can put down that trophy under those conditions...you know when you walk out the door with the "pea-shooter" its just gonna happen!!!!...depend on it.

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that is a pretty fair statement. I have gone on record as saying that the .223 is a viable deer cartridge under the right circumstances, however, what you say is absolutely true. Where I hunt a trophy whitetail can run 200+ lbs pretty easy, and ranges can be long. The buck I shot last weekend was 225 yards on a front quartering shot with a 150 Hornady out of my 30-06. He was DRT, didn't take one step. I would have had to pass on that shot with a .223, no matter what bullet was in it. When I am serious about buck hunting the 30-06 comes out every time, not a question in my mind. I just don't like limiting my options when I am after the big one.

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brytstar
posted Hide Post
I always believed that the .223 in whatever loading was marginal for whitetsil. I had a very serious operation on my neck this past summer, My doctor vehemently restricted my shooting to the .223, I am not sure he understands everything he should about recoil. He related his experience with the .223 to all hunting rounds but, just in case, I have agreed with him as he stated that he did not want his "good work" undone. I did some research and found that a 60 gr Nosler Partition would be just about the minimum but adequate for the relatively small Western Maryland whitetails. Not my first choice bur I intend to never shoot unless I am sure of a clean sure kill. Next year I wll return to my 257 Ackley. I hope that my situation does not upset any of the larger calibre purists. In VN a 55gr .223 took out a lot of those who really wanted to to take me out.

In politics as in theology! "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, But the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Posts: 200 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brytstar,

That kinda puts a crimp on things doesn't it.

I've been fooling with a 300 Whisper a bit. It doesn't feel like it is making much recoil. I thought the rifle moved less than a .223. But given an 8 pound 4 oz rifle, even that has more free recoil than a .223. (I used 125 gr bullet at 2150 fps using 15 gr of powder for the Whisper, and a 55 gr bullet at 3150 fps with 23.3 gr of powder for the calculations.) The .223 generates 2.73 ft-lbs of recoil and the Whisper generates 4.15.

So ... no help there.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nothing will ever change a holier than thou busy body from trying to impose his or her morality onto another mans life.

On the other hand there are those that like to participate in these arguments just to have the pleasure of interacting with a moralist!

We have the holier than thou, the more ignorant than thou, and the common sense man all tugging in different directions. The .223 with a good bullet will do the job if placed correctly, the .223 with a varment bullet shot into the ass will not, the moralist puffs out his chest but fails to see that a bullet shot into a deers ass is the same regardless of what caliber it is.

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who cares?

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You people to stop jammering about it is what it will take. You want someone to endorse what you're doing. A shared responsibility as it were. Just shut up and go hunting. And when you have a miserable failure because of the inadequacies of the round or your lack of skills as a hunter, come back and post those as well as the amazing lightning-in-a-bottle kills you have made at unbelievable distances.
I knew wood hicks in WV that have hunted WTs with .222s and .223s for years. Long before they were legal. But they were excellent woodsmen; skilled shots. And I daresay not a one of them took a shot beyond 50 yards. Not a damned one of them ran around asking folks could they kill a deer with a .223? They just shut up and did it.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy P Coaltrain:
"**** the moralist puffs out his chest but fails to see that a bullet shot into a deers ass is the same regardless of what caliber it is.

Roll EyesAnd than again perhaps NOT!!! coffeeroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it goes on and on

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took my largest buck last Saturday with a 30-06. I shot him on the run and the round hit him a little far back so I had to track him for about 1/4 mile till I saw him bedded down and finished him. Point is that 30-06 handload was a 150 Nosler Partition going 2800 fps and I hit him at around 75 yards.

If I had taken the second to stop his run by making a noise or grunt I probably would have laid him down with one shot but, such is life. Had I been using the 55grain Barnes X load I had in my AR there is a better chance I wouldn't have done enough damage to catch up to him after the shot. But you never know till it happens. My point is use what you know and shoot well but, make the shot worth the time it takes to get it presented properly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BsChoy:
I took my largest buck last Saturday with a 30-06. I shot him on the run and the round hit him a little far back so I had to track him for about 1/4 mile till I saw him bedded down and finished him. Point is that 30-06 handload was a 150 Nosler Partition going 2800 fps and I hit him at around 75 yards.

If I had taken the second to stop his run by making a noise or grunt I probably would have laid him down with one shot but, such is life. Had I been using the 55grain Barnes X load I had in my AR there is a better chance I wouldn't have done enough damage to catch up to him after the shot. But you never know till it happens. My point is use what you know and shoot well but, make the shot worth the time it takes to get it presented properly.

The moral to this story is a gutshot with a 30-06 is still a gutshot.

quote:
Had I been using the 55grain Barnes X load I had in my AR there is a better chance I wouldn't have done enough damage to catch up to him after the shot.

If you'd had your ar do you think you could have made a follow up shot? Low recoil and semiauto and all

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote