THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Question on CZ 527 American (.223)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on CZ 527 American (.223)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked one up yesterday at a local pawn shop. It appears to be unfired. It came in the original box and the label says that the stock is curly maple. The rings were not in the box. I'm pretty sure that the $275 I paid is a very good price.

I have 2 questions:

1) Do I need to buy CZ rings or will others work? Any suggestions on where to buy?

2) What is this gun worth? I like to to have a rough estimate to be able to prove to the wife that I got a good deal... I couldn't find one with the curly maple stock on the CZ website, but I may have just missed it.

Thanks in advance. I know that I don't post here much, but I do appreciate the information available here.

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
400-450 new is what I see them at; CZ has the rings, so does Warne.

275 is a very good price.

if it shoots, you stole it.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ has a msrp of $633 on the maple stocked 537 in .223. I picked one up a few years ago for $350 and I think that I got an excellent deal.

Posts: 86 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 17 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Gerald Dickerson
posted Hide Post
Boy I'd love to find one at 400-450 new, I have a .22 Hornet NIB put back at my local shop for 475.00, you done good. You can buy 16mm dovetail mounts from several companies, they have either a lug or a removable pin to lock into a indention in the dovetail on top of the rifle to keep them from moving. I personally like the Warne Maximas. Enjoy you thief! Just jealous is all here.

Gerald

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to getting out and trying to nail some coyotes with it.

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 527 American, the one with the high grade wood, in 223. I paid a WHOLE lot more than $275 for it though.. Big Grin
I did absolutely no tuning to the rifle at all, and am getting three shots into a 3/8" group at 100 yards. Not too shabby for out of the accuracy.
I just went with the CZ rings; maybe not the best looking, but they work. One of theses days I'll look into ugrading the rings.
Good luck with yours!!!

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
I have a CZ 527 American, the one with the high grade wood, in 223. I paid a WHOLE lot more than $275 for it though.. Big Grin
I did absolutely no tuning to the rifle at all, and am getting three shots into a 3/8" group at 100 yards. Not too shabby for out of the accuracy.
I just went with the CZ rings; maybe not the best looking, but they work. One of theses days I'll look into ugrading the rings.
Good luck with yours!!!

Don

Thanks! If the test target in the box is any indication this little rifle should be a shooter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do a lot of sub .22 caliber wildcatting and 527's make a great platform, accurate and reasonable price. I'll give ya $280.00 for it Big Grin.
I hope ya had a mask on when ya got it cause as mentioned, ya stole it. I'll bet it shoots great, I've seen darn few that didn't.
Congrats.
When it comes to the wife as we all know it's always much easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
By the way I have used Millet rings that worked well, looked decent and were priced right.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerald Dickerson:
Boy I'd love to find one at 400-450 new, I have a .22 Hornet NIB put back at my local shop for 475.00, you done good.

You are going to enjoy that rifle. Mine is a shooter and a bunch of fun to tote around farm fields looking for GH.

To the original poster:

You stole that rifle. Great price!

I used CZ rings on mine - I think they are a tad taller than normal rings so the adjusting ring on variable power scopes will clear the bolt. The CZ rings aren't works of art but they are just fine functionally.

Fitch

Posts: 153 | Location: Carlisle, PA | Registered: 04 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can anyone recommend a site to buy the rings from?

In the spirit of full disclosure:
I am not a master negotiator. I worked at the pawn shop in question while putting myself through undergrad. They like me and generally let me buy the few guns that my wife will allow me to have at a very reasonable price. I don't feel bad for them though; they still made $100 on the deal.

Thanks to all for the kind words.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wanna make $50 bucks?

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Brownells sells the Warne Maxima for the CZ 527.

http://www.brownells.com

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote