Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting but pointless?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Morning lads.
Was farting about on the press the other day and thought I'd knock up one of these...

The pill is a 55gn .224FMJ but can you guess the name of the wildcat?

Posts: 158 | Location: South East England | Registered: 16 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Wink.224 X 333 Jeffery. roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.22-06, I think it might also be known as a .22 Easling?

Posts: 27 | Location: Pullman, WA | Registered: 01 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bartsche,
I like your reasoning behind a sound, educated guess but Mr Lutter, I salute you! Bang on the money!

I read somewhere that the Easling was considered a step too far but I'd love to know if anybody shoots it nowadays

Posts: 158 | Location: South East England | Registered: 16 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That long neck should help a little to prevent throat erosion.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
It's been done a time or two. If you run it full-throttle, be prepared to swap barrels about as often as ultra-liberals make ill-informed and incorrect comments... Big Grin

But it is INTERESTING -- no doubt about that.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I, too, would love to know if anyone is shooting this. Someday I'll build a rifle for this cartridge. I would like to have (and shoot)a set of rifles chambered in all calibers from .22 through .40 based on the .30-06 case. I may even throw in a .17 for good measure. Wink I've got a ways to go. Right now I only have .25-06,.30-06, and .338-06 AI

Posts: 27 | Location: Pullman, WA | Registered: 01 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dlutter:
I, too, would love to know if anyone is shooting this. Someday I'll build a rifle for this cartridge. I would like to have (and shoot)a set of rifles chambered in all calibers from .22 through .40 based on the .30-06 case. I may even throw in a .17 for good measure. Wink I've got a ways to go. Right now I only have .25-06,.30-06, and .338-06 AI

You could save a little money and expand your coverage in that group by buying a used .280 Remington (7m/m-o6) and a used .35 Whelen (.35-06). And there's always the pre-owned .270 Winchester (.277-06)..... Oh yeh, almost forgot the .366"-06(9.3x62), you could buy that used instead of building it too.

For a .22-06, the one I always wanted to have was the .228 Ackley belted mag (has some other names for it too but I forget what they are without looking them up). That one is made by using a .228" bore and swaging '06 brass to form a belt at the case base. Of course, a person could do the same thing with the .224 bore and have a lot more bullets to choose from....

Then you've still got some kind of .244-bore to cover, as well as the 6.5's (the .256 Newton was a classic made off the '06 case), and the .323" AKA 8m/m-06, and the .333 OKH (.333"-06), the .375 Whelen and the .400 Whelen. Heaven only knows how many others. A deep pockets aspiration, but would be lot's of fun.

Good luck.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one. I built it in 2002/2003 and the article was written in 2005. Although I did not use it much this past season, it is now pushing 3000 shots fired and shows no sign of giving up. By far my favourite rifle for small to medium antelope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gerard,
Funnily enough, it was your web site got me thinking about this one. You used a 220 SWIFT as a donor barrel, I'm assuming a 1 in 12. To be honest, I'm gobsmacked you've had 3000+ through it and it aint a smoothbore! Well done that man.
I've been contemplating the 6.5-06 for a while but if I win the lottery, I'd have one of these built just for the hell of it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a 1:14" twist which is why we shoot the 40gr HV bullets in it. I am pleasantly surprised with the number of shots we have done so far. 22-250 rifles used for culling usually go about 1500 shots. We have seen 3000 shots with HV bullets but the barrel was done. Culling rifles are often shot too hot to touch whereas our hotrod is never shot hot. It is used for ambush culling and not from a vehicle with spotlights at night. One or two shots from cold is the norm. I can remember only one occasion where I shot four in quick succession.

I built another one a couple of years after mine and that one is at about 400 shots. Also no sign of throat wear on that. It is a Shilen 1:8" twist and the owner shoots 50gr HVs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
220 Howell was written up a number of years ago in Precision Shooting IIRC.. The idea was to shoot heavy bullets from a fast twist at low pressure (low to mid forty cup IIRC) to conserve barrel life..
http://www.hunting-rifles.com/Ammo/ammunition.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerard, very cool thanks for posting your website. What powders and how many grains of powder are you shooting? You don't have to list specifics, I'd be happy with ball park figures. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
The powder type and load will not mean much, it is the previous generation locally made S361 powder (yellow label) from Somchem. It is a medium burning ball powder in the burn rate group similar to BL C2 and Varget. I used 55 to 56 gr, depending on the case brand I started with.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Built a 22 Newton years ago--
not quite as much powder--
70 gr and 90gr 228's from Barnes and CCB--
8 twist--

Worked well.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys would like my 22-284. Remington 700, 1:9" twist Lilja barrel to shoot the 80gr JLK bullets. Sierra copied Jimmy Knox's design.
A couple years later I had a local guy build me a 22 Eargesplittenloudenboomer. Aka 22-378 Ackleyized. Now that is a hammer.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Aka 22-378 Ackleyized. Now that is a hammer.

Rich

As in 378 Weatherby mag?!!! Fffff.... sounds fun!
Anybody necked down a BMG or bigger? Where would it end and would it be truely pointless/do-able?!

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haggis:
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Aka 22-378 Ackleyized. Now that is a hammer.

Rich

As in 378 Weatherby mag?!!! Fffff.... sounds fun!
Anybody necked down a BMG or bigger? Where would it end and would it be truely pointless/do-able?!

This will give you a visual idea as well as some other interesting cartridges.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote