THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .22 Hornet - Hodgdon L'il Gun

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 Hornet - Hodgdon L'il Gun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I finally bought a pound of this to see if it was as good a Hornet powder as claimed. My gun is a Browning Micro Medallion. Here's what I tried...

- Rem Nickel cases
- Rem 7 1/2 BR primers
- 13.0 grains L'il Gun
- 40 gr HDY V-Max bullets
- OAL of 1.935"...too long for the magazine, but 0.01" off of the lands.

1st 3-shot group...1.03"
2nd 3-shot group...0.738"
3rd 3-shot group...0.580" (shot by my wife)

Groups shot @ 100 yds. And this was with out any tweaking or fuss. First time out w/both the powder and bullets. I'm a believer.

[ 04-20-2003, 10:04: Message edited by: JKuczmarski ]

Posts: 92 | Location: Tracy, CA | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JK---, Don't ya hate it when they out shoot ya, my wife can out shoot about half my friends, if she practiced as much as I do I'd have to take up needle point . I bought several 1 pounders when I first started shooting LilGun cause I had a tough time believing the results, finally I bought an 8 lbs keg. Fantastic in a K Hornet I shoot as well, it's a great addition to a great old round! My rifle shoots 40 grain Sierra BlitzKings into the same hole as the V Max's, it's also a great bullet---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JK-- I couldn't help but remember this post yesterday while shooting with my wife. We stopped at the range to check my Hornet and K Hornet before heading out after some gophers and chucks. I had the crono set up cause I am working up a .17 Mach IV. After the serious stuff was done we shot a few groups with the Hornets and took off. I shot a .389 5 shot group with the Anschutz Hornet that looked pretty good, then my wife sat done and ripped a .266. A guy just can't win. Going varmint hunting with your wife on Easter Sunday, and it's your wifes idea, I guess thats winnin after all. By the way yesterday at 65 degrees with slightly more LilGun than your talkin WW cases WSR primers 40 gr V Max's chrono'd 3,020ish fps and shot the above mentioned groups.---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
montdoug...I started my wife shooting last year. She's excited as a kid at Christmas when I mention going to the range. He first gun was a Ruger SP101 .38/.357, but after shooting a Marlin .22 WMR rifle w/a scope last week, I think she's hooked on long guns. I'm contemplating a deer rifle for her, but am still trying to determine just what to get her. Is just as fun as getting myself one!!

Posts: 92 | Location: Tracy, CA | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe women are easier to teach to shoot because they don't come equipt with all the testosterone , also I think a fair number of women have better manual dexterity. I have absolutely nothing scientific to base that on, but if any one doesn't believe it take a buddy to the range and try giving him some advise about how to shoot,--yah-right--. My wifes the best hunting buddy I've ever had,( until the temp hits 45 degrees ). Then I go with other dummies who think a day spent running around the mountains at 15 below is a good time, don't ever tell em but women are also smarter than men, at least they are at my house.---Shoot Safe---montdoug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JKuczmarski, try small pistol primers in the hornet. You will be amazed. I thought I was the only one who didn't know about it a few years ago. Works equally well to shrink groups in the .218 Bee also

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<mbkddd>
posted
JKuczmarski,
I have the same rifle. I use winchester brass, cci br4's, 35 gr V-max's or 40 grain BltzKings, and 12.8 grains of Lil-Gun, the only powder that has ever really performed in my gun. Have used all different combination of brass, bullets, primers, and powder.
No comparison.
Some people get a little distressed over a little discoloration around the neck on the brass.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I was shooting with some friends this morning. No wind. Shot a 3-shot .3" group at 150 yards. The load is Winchester brass, CCI small rifle primer, 13 gr. L'ilGun, Hornady 35 gr. VMAX. Killed a groundhog with it today, too. At 25 yards, in a tree! Yep, the groundhog had climbed 4' up the tree. Of course, the load worked perfectly at 25 yards. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hobie i know what u mean i watched a ground hog climb a wood fence post last fall went right up it like a coon or something , got up on top an sat there like a bird, i thought about shootin him but decided not to for some reason ?????? maybe next time

one of us
posted Hide Post
My full power .22 Hornet load, after going through 4227 and Win 680 with unfavorable results I tried 9.7 grains of 2400 in my Ruger 77/22-H. My gun, for some reason shoots 1/4 inch groups.
MADISON

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote