Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 6mm rem for whitetails
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted
My first rifle was a Model 7 in 6mm, and I started with 100 gr. Sierra Gamekings and IMR 3031 but moved to 100 gr. Nosler Partitions and IMR 4350. The Nosler was a definite improvement - much better penetration and better blood trails.

I've recently rebarreled that rifle to .260 Rem. Would you be interested in a set of RCBS dies, partial box of 100 grain Noslers, and/or a shorter take-off barrel?

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have three different 6mm's, Rem model 7, Rem 700 bdl, and Rem 700 VLS. I have used this caliber on 9 Idaho mule deer since 1985. All have gone down at the shot but some where spine shots and where still alive when I got to them. The first two I shot with remington 100g pspcl. Large entrance wounds on broadside shot, four inch hole in the ribs, and a small exit wound, shots were under 100 yards.

All seven others where shot with 100g Hornady BTSP. Nice wound channel and bullets where usually recoverd under the hide on the off-side. Weight retention was usually between 50-70%. Broke shoulders and an occasional spine but rarely got complete penetration.

Last year my brother used my model 7 with 18.5" barrel to take a decent sized 3 point at 420 yards. I worked up a different load for him because we had seen some very large bucks in that area. It was a 100g partition over AA4064 at a chronographed 2940 fps. It hit the buck just bellow the shoulders and right through the top of the heart and both lungs. Full penetration and he dropped at the shot. You could see blood in a v pattern behind the buck going several feet back through the brush. Autopsy showed a broken leg on the entrance, then a two inch hole through the ribs, detroyed heart and lungs, 1 inch hole through the off-side ribs and finger sided whole out the leg. The speed at that range wasn't very high but it looked like decent expantion, maybe because it hit some bone.

Posts: 31 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 20 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Redlander, I would like to discuss the dies and bullets with you. Please email me with a price for them. Unfortunately, I don't think I can use the barrel since my rifle is a 700 with varmint barrel. I am real interested in the dies and bullets, though!
Mike

Posts: 16 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Mike,

You have a PM.

Redlander

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I owned a couple of 6mm Rems and traded both off before I tried them on deer. But I have used it's little bro the .243 for several years as has my son in law and grandson. Darned if we haven't had good results with the Winchester bulk packed 100 grainers. The deer here in Texas generally are smaller.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike Horst--How old is your son? My grandson is now 15 and started using the .243 at about 11. Before that he used .22 centerfires and got his first deer at 9--he has atleast one a year since.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Carpetman, my boy is 14. He has shot no deer to date...he has only been deer hunting once. I am glad to hear your grandson has had success. We refurbished an old mauser in 30-06 for my boy to shoot. He likes it, but I thought that the 6mm would be more comfortable for him to shoot.
Good luck to you and your grandson this season!
Mike

Posts: 16 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the 6mm Rem sure works on mulies! My 13 year old son took his first deer last month, a mule deer doe at 274 yards, with one shot. Took the heart, one lung and the off-side leg. She collapsed immediately and slid down the hill a few yards. Dead as a doornail when we reached her.

Load was the 95 grain Nosler ballistic tip downloaded to 2750 fps over a mild charge of Varget. Good accuracy and minimal muzzle blast - which helped my son a lot on his practice sessions. It was still plenty of gun for hunting.

Regards, Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M700--Fine looking boy. Got the blaze orange vest--great. Looks like a red hat,which use to be what hunters wore. Red under right condition can appear brown. Blaze orange is blaze orange and nothing else out there that color.