Find
Notify
Tools

22 Creedmoor
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone shot one? What do you think?

Posts: 11974 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not shot the 22 Creedmoor but developed a similar cartridge about 20 years ago. I sized 6XC cases to .22 caliber for an easy to reload alternative to the .220 Swift. I used the 22XC with both 55-grain bullets in 12" twist barrels and 75-grain bullets in faster twist barrels. My only interest was varmint shooting. The cartridge was easy to reload & tune for accuracy. It was absolutely devastating on prairie dogs with 75-grain Hornady bullets. The only negative aspect of the 22XC is barrel life which would be the same for all high-capacity .224 caliber cartridges. As the 22 Creedmoor is very similar to the 22XC, all of its positive aspects should also apply to it. Plus, it has the advantage of factory brass & cases. Personally, the superiority of high BC bullets was obvious on varmints at long range and the same is obviously true for long range target shooting. If you want a high performance .224 cartridge, I believe the 22 Creedmoor would be superior to the .220 Swift or .22-250 Imp.
Roger

Posts: 475 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had one, shot ok, sold it.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1060 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I built one amd loaded 69gr Sierra TMK’s. 26” barrel had them at 3725fps. Built it for a coyote rifle of opportunity as I see them in the field next to the house in the winter and distances can be out to 500 yards.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a 22 Creed, I have a 22-250 Improved with a three groove, 1:10" twist barrel. When I shoot this barrel out I'll probably go with the same three groove barrel but in a 1:8" twist

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
why not go with a fast twist 22-250.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to get serious about velocity get thee to a 22-284.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1056 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another one of Hornadys marketing miracles. A 22 creedmoor is nothing more than a 22-250 Remington with a fast twist barrel and heavy bullets. What’s your goal? varmints? Go with a regular 22-250. Long range? Different caliber. Or else just drink the Hornady koolaid like the majority of others.

Posts: 89 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 24 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ben351w:
Another one of Hornadys marketing miracles. A 22 creedmoor is nothing more than a 22-250 Remington with a fast twist barrel and heavy bullets. What’s your goal? varmints? Go with a regular 22-250. Long range? Different caliber. Or else just drink the Hornady koolaid like the majority of others.

First, I know nothing about them. This is why I asked. A friend of mine uses them on their ranch in TX. He strongly recommended that I get one for use on my ranch. He absolutely loves his 22 CM guns. I was trying to see what others thought.

I have decided against getting one at this point. Even if the gun performs as my friend says it does, my place is fundamentally different. It would not be as useful to me as his is to him.

Posts: 11974 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A buddy just had one built with an 8 twist and shoots in the 75 grain bullet range.
I has so much new brass in 22-250 that my bro and I build a couple fast twist, I shoot the 75 grain Hornady in mine but it's also handle up to 80's.
We had a sacrificial barrel chambered at the same time and fire formed all the brass over 3-4 weekends