New
Find
Notify
Tools

.221 Fireball
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm in the process of buying a rifle(700 Rem) chambered in .221 Fireball and would appreciate recommendations on bullet weight, preferred powder, etc. Also, who has the best deal on brass?
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In addition to RL7 and AA1680, an amazing powder in the Fireball is Hodgdon's LiLGun. Using 16.5gr under a moly'ed 40gr Vmax or Sierra 40hp results in 3500+fps out of my 24" converted Rem 788 and my 700 Classic. Only believed it myself when chrony'ed!

Data is on the Hodgdon site.

You will have fun with your 221...easy on the ears, easy on the brass and powder, outstanding in the field.

Do a search in Small Calibers and Varmints; should be plenty of posts.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the input. I have RL 7 on hand for my .222, i'll give it a try. Thanks again.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mulerider,
I thank you for your advise. 3,500fps. is pretty impressive, to say to least.I'll have to give Lil Gun a try.I would imagine these 40's would be a little wind sensitive?, never shot anything under 50gr. in .224
I'm looking forward to tinkering with it. The rifle is called a 700 LS, Sort of "Classic" metal in a laminated stock, should be sweet.
Stepchild