New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short Barreled 257 bob
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a short 257 roberts the barrel is 17.5 inches long.The powders i have tried are H-414 and Imr 4831.Can't seem to find any load that will group less than 5 or 6 in. Any ideas?Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
recrown, bedding, check scope mounts,
6 moa is huge, and points to mechanical failure, not loads

what is it built on?

who's barrel?

what stock

what weight bullets?

if you can fix it, h335 works very well with short barrels .. if you have wicked muzzle flash, h335 burns better with a good pressure, and makes a huge ball on a soft load

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeff.It is built on a 98 Mauser,don't know who made the barrel.I have been trying 100gr, 85gr and 75gr.I will try some of that powder.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
what does the gap between the mag and the bottom metal look like? It could be that you have a loose in the stock action ..

that is... okay, do this... remove the rear screw, and see if its loose or rattlely ... and then try again with the front screw out ..

with mausers on uncertain lineage, this mis-fitting could happen.

Glad to hear it's doing it with the lighter bullets, that rules out twist being the driving force.

if its loose, either screw, bedding can probably fix it.

If not, take a business card, folded in half, and find a spot to SQUISH that business card about 1/4 of the way back from the front tip of the stock .. if you soak it in trany fluid first, you might get a better fit.

this aint bedding, but it will let you now if bedding might help!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
Try some H-380, it works well in my 257 IMP. it's not the fastest powder but is very accurate, with my 87grn, and 120grn bullets.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Roberts is a converted Stevens 200. With the set-back to re-chamber I have a barrel about 20.5". I have had great luck with Varget and Partitions and Sierra 100gr SBT.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of .404
posted Hide Post
I have a 20" Mannlicher 1950.The next range session it will get the chony put to it and I'll report back....but,lik'n it so far!!

I pray for mud on my boots the day I die...
Go see the nights of Africa.....

Posts: 208 | Location: back home in the Tarheel state | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
recrown, bedding, check scope mounts,
6 moa is huge, and points to mechanical failure, not loads

what is it built on?

bedding!

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks All.When I get time today i will try a few of these ideas.Good Luck

one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
plainsman,
H414 is moderately slow and 4831 is very slow for the Bob. For a short barrel I would go with a faster powder like IMR4064 or Varget. IMR4064 is my go to powder in a Ruger M77 MkII Ultralight with a 20" bbl.

I would agree with the others that 6moa is probably a fault in the rifle.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
By any chance did you buy that rifle from Kaboom????

He had a .257 Roberts and he couldn't recover any of the four deer that he shot at with the deer being 125 yards away.

Hopefully this is not the case. (Watch for flare)

On a serious note you might want to try some bullets in different weights so as to get a selection of bullet length. It might just be that your shooter is in that slower twist range for shorter bullets to stabilize them. Last recourse would be to sell the dog.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope didn't but it from him.I checked the barrel channel and I think it is a ramline stock.Someone thought it would be good to fill it with foam then put some kind of epoxy on that to seal it.I relived it and it floats now.I went and loaded 5 cart of each of these powders:H-380,H-335,Imr-4064,Imr-3031 and Big game.I started at the low range for each.It seem that 3 of these show promise,These are Imr-4064,Imr-3031 and Big game.I felt like i was shooting my 41 mag when i shot the H-335 that had a lot of felt pressure on my face.Thanks to all and if anything else doeswell I will let you know.Good Luck

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
My wife has a Ruger 77 Ultra-lite with the 20 inch barrel, and we are using 117 grain Remington factory Core-Locts out of it and have had no problem on deer or hogs out to 200 yards.

Good Luck with your rifle, the Roberts is a great cartridge if worked with in its limitations.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote