THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Sierra bullets and core seperation
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra bullets and core seperation
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HankinColorado
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:

Slowing down a bullet to avoid core jacket seperation is also going to limit expansion with consequently reduced lethality. Be careful what you wish for!

Wouldn't limited expansion also translate to deeper penetration? Just asking the question Wink

Life, it's good...

Posts: 225 | Location: Colorado Springs USA | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you really want to know what happens to different bullets at different speeds, then test them! I started this after the XTP came out to see if it really was any different. Now, years later, I have 2 dressers at my house. One has 20+ bullets from 22 to 338 cals that I have recovered from animals. The other has multiple bullets that I have shot into test material to see what they would do in MY guns. It works, is a kick in the pants and gives you valuable info.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't say that I agree that a bullet has to be driven at warp speed in order to kill. I think that's more of a ego thing myself. Each bullet has a performance window and it's usually well below that speed at which the bullet's construction becomes unstable. It's said that at some point a 30-06 bullet becomes a 30-30 so......
I've maintained that had the .243 been unveiled with a good 125-140gr bullet @ 2600-2800fps, neither the 7-08 nor the .260 would have ever found a spot. Nor would we have these violent arguments each fall about whether or not the .243 should be used on anything larger than coyote. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HankinColorado:
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:

Slowing down a bullet to avoid core jacket seperation is also going to limit expansion with consequently reduced lethality. Be careful what you wish for!

Wouldn't limited expansion also translate to deeper penetration? Just asking the question Wink

Yes it would but if they are under the skin on the other side that will be of limited use.

I hold to the view that killing power is a function of the volume of the wound channel. If the channel is full width then a reduction in expansion that reduces wound width is not that desirable. Granted a second hole will increase the speed that the lungs deflate.

Anyways the one problem I have had with a 243 was down to too little expansion from a 85gr BTHP at 150yards.....

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
In 30 cal and below I like SGKs - In 338 and Up I prefer Nosler PTs!

I've shot Sierra GameKings exclusively in 3 of my rifles - a 150 SGK in 270 Win, a 165 SGK in 308 and 180 SGK in 7.5x55 Swiss. They have accouned for many deer - All 1 shot kills with 2 holes.

I tend to go with the heaviest for caliper SGK the rifle/cartridge will like - Use 150s in my 270, 165s in 308 and 180s in 7.5x55 Swiss.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaahhh, a heavy for calibre (within reason)kinda guy and let the velocity be what it will. I can identify with that.

One of Us
Picture of sako.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stillbeeman:
Can't say that I agree that a bullet has to be driven at warp speed in order to kill. I think that's more of a ego thing myself. Each bullet has a performance window and it's usually well below that speed at which the bullet's construction becomes unstable.
I've maintained that had the .243 been unveiled with a good 125-140gr bullet @ 2600-2800fps, neither the 7-08 nor the .260 would have ever found a spot. Nor would we have these violent arguments each fall about whether or not the .243 should be used on anything larger than coyote. Smiler

very true

Posts: 36 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife has shot a bunch of deer and antelope with 100gr Sierras in a 243. I have shot antelope with 140 Sierras in a 7mm Mag, and a BUNCH of deer and antelope with a 165 HPBT Sierra Gameking in a 308.

I do not know IF, I had core/jacket seperation or not, as I NEVER recovered a Sierra bullet.

I WILL ADMIT, I am a premium bullet SNOB, but in truth, I have to admit, NEVER has a Sierra bullet come even close to failing me.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of .375" 300 gr Sierra Game Kings that look like those shown here. Core and jacket seperated somewhere on the way through a bull elk. Ranges tended to be long as the elk are in big irrigated hayfields. So my average shot was probably 300 yds. Though one big spike was at a mere 90 yds.

Can only recall one elk that took more than one shot and he REALLY didn't need a 2nd shot, but he was standing there after the initial shot so hit him again.

Others have said it...but I agree...seperations when found in cleanly killed game...SO WHAT!

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote