THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: Best action for building a nice varmit rifle?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Best action for building a nice varmit rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The Remington action is still very popular for guys who want to build their own rifles. I prefer the ADL to the BDL
action for this purpose. Most gunsmiths feel they can do a better job when working with this action. I've built an excellent varmint rifle using the Sako L461 as well. There are other excellent actions out there, but they'll cost you an arm and a leg. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Remington 700.....and agree....ADL

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the M700.

Someone is going to chime in with the "it's a lousy push feed" theme, but it's a VARMINT rifle, so who needs CRF, and the M700 can be made to shoot VERY accurately.

All of my serious accuracy rifles are built on M700 actions.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post

Quote:

Someone is going to chime in with the "it's a lousy push feed" theme, but it's a VARMINT rifle, so who needs CRF, and the M700 can be made to shoot VERY accurately.

I have a pushfeed M-70 in .223 that is absolutely wonderfully accurate.....and a featherweight barrel at that.....but finding an M-70 in .223 bolt face is a trifle difficult.

I wouldn't build a varmint rifle on a CRF ever again as I don't consider prairie dogs as DG. I can make a mistake reloading and my Remington 700 (as well as most other push feeds) will contain the error.....this is simply not true with the CRF.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies! That's kind of the way I was leaning...

-Dan

Posts: 350 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 30 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
All in all the 700 builds a pretty rifle but the Savage is almost as usefull. One distinct advantage of the Savage is an affordable single shot action. Very ridgid and good utility for some varminting but not all.

I have both but the Savage has a Remington style shoulder on the barrel; I did away with the nut and will do so again if I build another. Just looks better and outside of mass production, doesn't aid accuracy any better.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

.....but finding an M-70 in .223 bolt face is a trifle difficult.

Yep, it's no easy task in a M700 either...

I actually need one right now & can't find one, other than new. (I have a standard long and a magnum long sitting in the safe, but want to build a 221 Fireball first...)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry Stiller (of BR "fame") is currently in the process of introducing a short M700 "clone" - supposedly labelled the "Predator". Unfortunately, the initial versions of that action are supposed to be for .308 bolt face only, although both magazine fed and single shot versions should be available. He has "promised" that a .222/.223 bolt face version will become available later. At a projected price of $500-$600, this should be a great platform for accurate rifles - with less issues regarding dimensional integrity than a standard M700.

Contact for Jerry Stiller: Stiller Precision Firearms

Otherwise the new Rem XP100 clone looks interesting - though sadly not as cheap as a M700.

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I ended up giving up on a 700 in .223 (never seen one yet on a used gun rack) and found a Model 7 instead. I don't think I gave up anything? After a new barrel and stock I really can't tell the difference between it and another I have on a regular 700.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
For all of the distaste I have for Remington's usual run of products, I have to admit that for what you want to do the 700 is a super choice. Savage's factory varminters have an outstanding reputation, as well. Frankly, though, for a pure 'dog-shooter, I have to wonder why not a Ruger #1? Very accurate and compact. For a more classic appearance, how about a Browning Single Shot? It will take a bit more tuning but talk about a gorgeous rifle! Lots of options out there, don'tcherknow.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clark,

What do you mean by "nice"? If you mean accurate then a Rem. will satisfy that single requirement. If you mean neat or cool then, in my opinion, the action is not desirable. It's shortcomings are legion. The features I am going to list next matter to me and to some they are benefits or at least they don't agree with me. The triggers are suspect and there have been discharges when the safety is released. I don't like the safety anyway as either it does not lock the bolt or allow unloading with the safety on. This is a good reason not to get the suggested ADL. And even if the safety was three positon, which it is not it does not lock the firing pin but only the trigger itself.

The bolts on the Rem. 7-- series are brazed together in two places. This works most of the time but it's not "nice"

There are other things I don't like either but that's enough for now. Sako made some nice small actions.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, by nice I mean accurate. Pretty would be nice as well, but definitely not a requirement. I've got a Marlin 917V that I absolutely love to shoot. The thing is so danged accurate it's almost unfair. I'd like something along those lines in a larger caliber for bigger varmits, and the 223 appeals to me because of the surplus of cheap ammo.

Posts: 350 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 30 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clark98ut: I have several "custom" Varminters built on Remington 700 actions in various calibers (from 17 MachIV to 6mm A.I.). Including one in 223 Remington! I heartily endorse the use of the Remington 700 SA for your project! The reasons are legion and I will only list a few!
Excellent accuracy is EASY to render from a 700 SA custom Rifle! Many after market add ons are available and enhance the 700 SA - like a plethora of custom triggers (the original Remington trigger once properly adjusted is exceptionally safe and crisp by the way)! Other "add-ons" like Holland's great precision recoil lugs, single shot adapters, one piece ring/mounts (from Hart!), quicker firing pin assemblies (and the Remington 700 is hard to improve on in that department with their already sensational lock time!) etc etc etc!
The Remington 700 SA action is also very easy to pillar bed or custom bed!
And one of the things I most appreciate about the Remington 700 SA's is they look so good! I really like the way they look.
Some people deride the Remington 700's for various things many of which in my experience do not merit much if any consternation! One of these is the extraction/ejection functioning of the Model 700 SA's! I have owned many dozens of Remington 700's and only had trouble with ONE in this regard! It extracts perfectly it just does not always eject the spent casse fully from the action! I do not mind this on this one Rifle and have lived with it for several years now. In fact I do not have to go looking in the snake, tick infested sage for the cases that do not clear that action. It could easily be "corrected" but I don't want to.
I also have some Varminters in 222 Remington Magnum and that caliber is an excellent choice also. I recently bought two new Varminters in caliber 204 Ruger and the amazing accuracy and flat trajectory of that cartridge would certainly make a sensational Varminter on a Remington 700 SA!
Good luck with whichever you choose!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't take the time to read all the posts, but I'll tell you what I'm thinking of doing for this spring.

Last year I ended up in trades that netted me three heavy barrl Savage varmint rifles, a 223. single shot, a 223 repeater, and a 22/250 repeater. All shot fair, that's right, Savages that shot only fair, except for the .223 repeater which shot pretty darn good. I really liked the single shot action, but ended up selling all three of them. I dont' know the answers to why they didn't shoot as well as I had hoped, maybe scopes, maybe guns, who knows.

For this next spring, the easiest way to get the gun I want is to buy another single shot Savage and change the barrel out if it doesn't shoot well. I think it will probably end up being a .222 or .223 and I'll see how accurate I can make one. The barrels are as easy as pie to change and all the major players in the premium barrel market will make barrels for them. This way I don't have to spend several months waiting on rebarreling, I can do it myself. Some good barrels are readily available from Brownells and Midway in just a couple of days.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
M700 or find a M70 in push feed. The M700 will probably out shoot the M70 but the M70 has a better safety, to me, & a good trigger.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I ended up giving up on a 700 in .223 (never seen one yet on a used gun rack) and found a Model 7 instead.

I'd love to find a Model 7 probably even more than a M700. I'm looking to build a little lightweight 221 Fireball, and that little Model 7 action would work great!

My search continues....

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I guess I've got to vote with the majority: Remington 700 is the surest way to happiness. More people understand the workings, and the aftermarket triggers (especially the Jewel) are fabulous. It will shoot extremely well if done properly, and that matters most.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quote:

for a pure 'dog-shooter, I have to wonder why not a Ruger #1? Very accurate and compact.

Beautiful for sure.....compact ...absolutely

accurate?.....I'll take a boltaction any day!

one of us
posted Hide Post
This might be a stupid question, but are all the Model 7 actions the same, just a different barrel?

Thanks,

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

This might be a stupid question, but are all the Model 7 actions the same, just a different barrel?

I'm not sure I understand your question, so I'll answer the "possibilities" that I see...

All Model 7 actions are the same as other Model 7 actions, as in they are all short actions. (However, they do have various size bolt faces.... 223, 308, and magnum sized for the short mags). Also, you have stainless vs blued, but that is an obvious difference that has no effect on building. In addition, the "newer" Model 7s have four scope base screw holes, so you can use two piece bases if you like, whereas the "older" Model 7s only have three screw holes, requiring a one piece base. Again, very minor difference.

Model 7 actions are *not* the same as M700 actions. They are the same fundamental design, and look very similar, but the Model 7 actions are about 1/2" shorter than a M700 short action.

I hope this helps and answers your question. If I'm off the mark, let us know & we'll get you a better answer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's exactly what I needed to know...

Thanks!

-Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Model 7 are the same lenght as the X-P action. I used an X-P repeater action to build a light walk around rifle and a Model 7 stock. I bet that new single shot from Rem is the x-p action?

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
AR15, AR10 actions seem to be showing up more in the varmint fields, and in more calibers also. Aftermarket triggers are available. Seems like you can get a rig as light or heavy as you want.

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Warhawk
posted Hide Post
How about the new Remington XR100?

Posts: 59 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Curious what you guys think about a Howa action for a heavy barreled, custom 223. I know its not as light as a Rem but wouldn't matter in this application. Any drawbacks you can think of? Anyone built a custom on a Howa platform?

Posts: 174 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even though I'm a Remington fan don't rule out the Savage. I took an old Savage 110 into Hart's and had him put a 24" SS heavy barrel on it for me in .22-250Rem. It's been shooting in the .2"s ever since. It's a much better action for re-barreling that I would have guessed. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote