THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Is the 257 Roberts an Elk round or not?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the 257 Roberts an Elk round or not?
 Login/Join

posted
Just wondering what you guys think.
Mike

Posts: 8 | Location: Breckenridge,Texas | Registered: 13 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 25-06 and 257 Weatherby work, so there is no reason the Roberts won't. It has power enough (read case capacity) to do the job. It isn't my #1 choice for sure, but I'd use it in a pinch.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
THis thread needs to get merged with all the "223 for deer" threads!

If it is the only gun a person can get, that is one thing, but the big issue for me is it would only kill reliably with a broadside shot. If a monster 9X9 is spooked up and running away, 120 grains of anything is not going to be a stopper.

Even if that particular gun will shoot 120 gr bullets accurately.

With all of the other hassle and expense involved in elk hunting, an larger rifle should not be that much of a deal.

P.S. Welcome to the forums Badgerone!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's all you have, use it. If you've got something bigger, use that. Over the years plenty of el have been killed with small caliber rifles but they are by no means ideal for the job.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
The 25 caliber is not your best choice. Yes they’ve killed elk and moose (even a few big bears) but the bullet weight is marginal.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
even though its lite,if you used a bullet that wouldn''t FAIL like a barnes tripple shock,or a tbbc or partition. you''d still have to limit your shooting range . yes with a custom bullet it will take elk.
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Stuff my 257 AI with 120 Swifts or Nosler partitions and I'd not hesitate to use this combination. Would I rather have something bigger in the bore and weight area sure, but would I go home to try another day... no way.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I fine this interesting. How many people responding to this post have actually hunted and killed an elk?

This is not a judgment of anyone’s hunting or shooting abilities, just a question. I’ve hunted elk for many years, I seen them shot and killed with a 30-30, 243 Win, and a 25-06 on the low end. But that’s not the norm. Something that shoots a 150 grains bullet or higher is the norm for elk.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have. I used a 6.5x55mm with 140gr bullets, getting to the vitals was no problem. I do not think I would use anything less than that. More weight, more frontal area, higher SD than a quarter bore can provide. Also, terrain dictated short shots, mine went down at roughly 70 yards and that was long for where I was. One shot, elk bucked and went down inside 20 feet.

After that stunt and seeing the size of even a medium sized cow elk, I switched to a 7mm Remington Magnum instead with 175gr bullets just so I can be certain of a quick, humane kill. The 6.5mm is back on whitetail and black bear duty.

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes the 257 will kill them. There are better choices that allow you a higher success probability to cleanly take the animal.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the Roberts.
But I can't say it would be one of my top 10 choices for Elk.
To me the best rifle to kil an elk with is the biggest caliber you can shoot well.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mikey, I don’t think people really know how big an elk is until they have one on the ground.

After 7 years of “I’ll never hunt elk again†(but I kept going). I finally kicked the habit of elk hunting in 1999. In 1999 one of my partners downed a 365-pound cow (gutted and shinned on the butcher’s scale) in the bottom of a creek bed at sundown in a blinding snow storm. We were still working on her at 2 AM. The snow was 2 inches when we started to dress her, and was 26 inches by the time we finished.

It’s one of those things, but 4 of the 7 guys there never fully recovered from that night.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sagebrush Burns:
If it's all you have, use it. If you've got something bigger, use that. Over the years plenty of el have been killed with small caliber rifles but they are by no means ideal for the job.

+1, word for word.

For MickinColo...yes I have killed elk.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
I fine this interesting. How many people responding to this post have actually hunted and killed an elk?

I killed a cow elk this fall with my 357 magnum. A spine shot put her down, but it wasn't lethal, so a 158 grain LSWC to the throat did the trick.
My favorite elk calibre is the .338 Winchester magnum as there are no arguments when a 250 partition arrives on target. I've had great luck with my 7m/m Remington also, but it's not my rifle of choice in griz country. 180s in the venerable .30-06 have served me well too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not in my opinion.

I think it will certainly kill large animals. A friend's mother-in-law uses it on moose....lungs them and waits till their lungs fill up with blood and they can't breath. In that time you better hope they don't decide to escape to the swamp.

Elk are tough and can cover a lot of ground. I prefer to use larger rounds.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
"After 7 years of “I’ll never hunt elk again†(but I kept going). I finally kicked the habit of elk hunting in 1999. In 1999 one of my partners downed a 365-pound cow (gutted and shinned on the butcher’s scale) in the bottom of a creek bed at sundown in a blinding snow storm. We were still working on her at 2 AM. The snow was 2 inches when we started to dress her, and was 26 inches by the time we finished.

It’s one of those things, but 4 of the 7 guys there never fully recovered from that night."

Holy cow, that's pretty amazing.

I'm assuming a 257 will kill them "ok" but a larger caliber would be optimal.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've only shot a couple of elk, so I'm no expert, but they do seem much tougher to bring down with a through and through lung shot than the average whitetail buck. If you feel that you have the ability to make a clean kill and are willing to pass on anything except a "perfect" shot, then the 257 Roberts with a tough bullet will probably work for you. If you need to stop an elk that is running away from you, a 257 Roberts might be a little on the light side. My "go to" elk rifle is a 338-06 shooting 210 grain Partitions, as that combination has worked well for me. It hits hard, but doesn't kick too hard!

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose theres elk and theres ELK.
Im sure numerous have been successfully drilled with Atypical 270win130np3050mv over a variety of distances...so, at moderate reasonable ranges a 257bob120np2900mv is a doer.
Infact,257r120np with its better SD and most likely less vel.related bullet disintegration at closer ranges, is an underated combination.
id prefer a 257r115tsx or a 6.5x55-120NF/tsx, if hypothetically restricted to 120gn max. bullet weight.
But like others,its not my ideal combination,but id use it if the oportunity&situation was particularly right.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
quote:

+1, word for word.

For MickinColo...yes I have killed elk.

Cheers,
Canuck

I hadn't planned on actually using it on Elk,just wanted opinions.

If it's all I had with me at the moment,and the proper shot presented itself,,,well?

I'll take my 7x57 loaded with 160's on this hunt.
Thanks guys,
Mike

Posts: 8 | Location: Breckenridge,Texas | Registered: 13 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
"After 7 years of “I’ll never hunt elk again†(but I kept going). I finally kicked the habit of elk hunting in 1999. In 1999 one of my partners downed a 365-pound cow (gutted and shinned on the butcher’s scale) in the bottom of a creek bed at sundown in a blinding snow storm. We were still working on her at 2 AM. The snow was 2 inches when we started to dress her, and was 26 inches by the time we finished.

It’s one of those things, but 4 of the 7 guys there never fully recovered from that night."

Holy cow, that's pretty amazing.

I'm assuming a 257 will kill them "ok" but a larger caliber would be optimal.

257 will kill them, put it's not a will rounded elk caliber. Cool

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I don’t think anyone here is saying that a 257 caliber rife is too small for elk.

If you’re spending thousands of dollars (travel, license, guides, and room and board) on that “Dream elk hunt†in Colorado, were you may only get one shot and only 10 seconds to make it, why would you want to handicap yourself with a gun that small?

I’m not saying that you need a 338 Win Mag but pick a caliber that can buck some wind on a long shot or bust some brush in the dark timber. beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Having shot a number of elk in my mispent cowboy youth with the 25-35 and 250-3000 and 100 gr. Corelokt and Silvertips, I would say the .257 Robts is an excellent elk cartridge if you can limit yourself to taking only broadside shots and not over 150 to 200 yards..Use a Nosler...

That said, today I use the .338 Win or a .375 H&H..I don't see a lot of bulls like we did 50 years ago, and I take the shots as they come, going away in the thick stuff mostly and I shoot them up the tube and put them on their nose with the big calibers..

I think you are limiteing your success with any 25 cal. today and may have to pass on a great bull or make a mistake and wound him, never to be found if you don't have the maturity to hunt with a light rifle. I can say the same about hunting deer with a .223 or 25-35, they work but they MUST be used within their limits. A lot of hunters cannot do this, but go into the fields thinking they can then they wound a great animal, not good! thumbdown

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've killed elk with a 30-06, 270 Win, and 35 Whelen Improved. Like 'em all - they do the job if I do.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear MickinCo.
So you got one in a deep, dark hole? I didn`t know they were anywhere else! LOL. Around here we have a saying--"Don`t look down and only shoot uphill"! In answer to the .25 question? Yes I have. With the 25 Souper and the 250 Sav AI. Only real deal is!!!!! Bullet construction and PLACEMENT! The smaller bullets do not allow much margin for error. If you can`t find one [elk] calm, no adrenalin rush going and not plowing through the trees--pass it up. The 25 is great but a guy has to realize it is not a 375. Health has pretty much stopped the elk hunting for me unless I can find some young bucks willing to drag one out for an old man.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My late friend Jerry thought it was fine for elk. He's suffered a badly damaged shoulder in a car accident and the most potent round he could shoot after that was his .257 Robt. In fact, I have his pet Mauser 30-06 that he gave me once he found out he could no longer use it.
he had a neat little .257 Bob he built on a Mexican Mauser that he used for the rest of his hunting career. Back then, elk tags in Idaho were OTC and he went every year. He always brought back an elk. He never bothered with trophies, but was a hunter's hunter. He could sneak up on a deer or an elk and could place his shot exactly where he wanted it to go. I forget what weight bullet he used, but I do recall it was a Nosler Partition.
If one can hunt as well as Jerry did, then I's say that the .257 Bob could very well be an elk rifle. All others use something bigger.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Bohica,
We have about the same saying here too. We also have a saying “If you shoot an animal in that canyon take a knife and fork with you because you’re eating it right thereâ€.

Bohica and Paul B, I can’t disagree with you guys.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've killed elk with a 30-06, 270 Win, and 35 Whelen Improved. Like 'em all - they do the job if I do.

I think those are some good choices.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Having shot a number of elk in my mispent cowboy youth with the 25-35

Big GrinI was wondering just when your 25-35 was goin to pop up. holycow

FYI.Many moons ago an older friend killed an American Bison Bull with a .257 Roberts. shockerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
JMHO, if you question the suitability of a round for a specific animal enough to where you would go on the internet and ask random people their opinions of it, then it is too small.

Again, JMHO. Flame away.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you Mikey, I don’t think people really know how big an elk is until they have one on the ground.

My cow elk went about 380 pounds gutted according to the butcher Eeker that is one big animal! Compared to the whitetails I normally take with the same rifle, that's easily an extra 200 pounds of weight and easily twice the width on a broadside shot. They also have a dense layer of fat under their hide which can be problematic for blood trails with smaller rounds. Even black bear, which get quite large in Manitoba, seem to be an easier kill (mostly because I can use 156gr Oryx bullets over bait and pick ideal range/shots). More dangerous, but easier nonetheless. I simply want more than that for moose and elk hunting!

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeyB:
quote:

My cow elk went about 380 pounds gutted according to the butcher Eeker that is one big animal! Compared to the whitetails I normally take with the same rifle, that's easily an extra 200 pounds of weight and easily twice the width on a broadside shot. They also have a dense layer of fat under their hide which can be problematic for blood trails with smaller rounds. Even black bear, which get quite large in Manitoba, seem to be an easier kill (mostly because I can use 156gr Oryx bullets over bait and pick ideal range/shots). More dangerous, but easier nonetheless. I simply want more than that for moose and elk hunting!

A normal mature cow elk around here, gutted and skinned is about a 100 pounds less than that. Real nice cows run over 300 pounds. And the monsters go over 350.

Even a 225 pound dead elk is a “B***h†to get in the back of a pickup at the end of a long cold day.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
JMHO, if you question the suitability of a round for a specific animal enough to where you would go on the internet and ask random people their opinions of it, then it is too small.

Again, JMHO. Flame away.

Never said I questioned it,just wanted opinions.
I also stated if presented the oppertunity,and that's what was in my hands,I'd shoot,given the proper shot.
Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

A normal mature cow elk around here, gutted and skinned is about a 100 pounds less than that. Real nice cows run over 300 pounds. And the monsters go over 350.

Even a 225 pound dead elk is a “B***h†to get in the back of a pickup at the end of a long cold day.

I'm going on the numbers my butcher gave me, so I don't know if he actually weighed it or just guesstimated it while he carved it up. I don't even know what's typical around here. Regardless, I was shocked by the size of that beast and it took 4 of us about an hour to even get it to the truck! It hung over our sled way more than any deer we've ever taken! Whoever invented winches is my best friend.

________

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Little off topic but all you guys talking about getting your elk out whole amazes me!
I've never got an elk or helped with one that could be taken out whole!
Every time its a minimum of 4 round trips for me with a packframe, I need to get better friends or hunt closer to the damn truck.
My sons big bodied, small horned bull last year was the only elk meat I've ever weighed. Each back quarter was 93 pounds, each front was 78 and then I didn't weigh the back straps and tenderloins. This was all on the bone (leg bones, hip, ribs) except the spine was left as were the hide, lower legs/feet in the woods.

For the record my brother killed a decent sized cow 3 years ago with a 320 yard shot with a .257 Bob, shot knocked her down and she rolled way down a steep hill tried to get to her feet and he hit her again and she was down for good. 100 grain cup and core bullets. Not much different reaction than elk shot with a .270, 300 mag or a .338, dead is dead.
Any rifle you use whether it be a .243 or .257 or a 300 win or .338 the vitals must be hit to cleanly kill an animal, shooting a "big gun" doesn't suddenly open some magic that lets you put the bullet anywhere to get an elk.
Whatever you shoot, shoot it well.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Having shot a number of elk in my mispent cowboy youth with the 25-35 and 250-3000 and 100 gr. Corelokt and Silvertips, I would say the .257 Robts is an excellent elk cartridge if you can limit yourself to taking only broadside shots and not over 150 to 200 yards..Use a Nosler...

That said, today I use the .338 Win or a .375 H&H..I don't see a lot of bulls like we did 50 years ago, and I take the shots as they come, going away in the thick stuff mostly and I shoot them up the tube and put them on their nose with the big calibers..

I think you are limiteing your success with any 25 cal. today and may have to pass on a great bull or make a mistake and wound him, never to be found if you don't have the maturity to hunt with a light rifle. I can say the same about hunting deer with a .223 or 25-35, they work but they MUST be used within their limits. A lot of hunters cannot do this, but go into the fields thinking they can then they wound a great animal, not good! thumbdown

popcornI think ,Rays, got it about nailed. However, --- No Cowboy I ever hunted with could shoot worth a damn! Eekerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes,
ideal? no

I have seen/taken elk with 243, 270, 7mm RM, 30-06, 300WM, 338-06, 338 WM, 35 Whelen, & 375 H&H.
And three archery kills.

They all worked.

But, IMO, and that's all it is. The 338 and up calibers are better.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm going on the numbers my butcher gave me, so I don't know if he actually weighed it or just guesstimated it while he carved it up. I don't even know what's typical around here. Regardless, I was shocked by the size of that beast and it took 4 of us about an hour to even get it to the truck! It hung over our sled way more than any deer we've ever taken! Whoever invented winches is my best friend.

We’re all dependent on the butcher’s scales for figuring out how big an animal is. Nice cow. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Little off topic but all you guys talking about getting your elk out whole amazes me!
Every time its a minimum of 4 round trips for me with a packframe, I need to get better friends or hunt closer to the damn truck.
My sons big bodied, small horned bull last year was the only elk meat I've ever weighed. Each back quarter was 93 pounds, each front was 78 and then I didn't weigh the back straps and tenderloins. This was all on the bone (leg bones, hip, ribs) except the spine was left as were the hide, lower legs/feet in the woods.

For the record my brother killed a decent sized cow 3 years ago with a 320 yard shot with a .257 Bob, shot knocked her down and she rolled way down a steep hill tried to get to her feet and he hit her again and she was down for good. 100 grain cup and core bullets. Not much different reaction than elk shot with a .270, 300 mag or a .338, dead is dead.
Any rifle you use whether it be a .243 or .257 or a 300 win or .338 the vitals must be hit to cleanly kill an animal, shooting a "big gun" doesn't suddenly open some magic that lets you put the bullet anywhere to get an elk.

What we did was bring a long plastic toboggan with us in the back of one of the trucks. Since Manitoba is basically flat, we didn't have to worry too much about terrain, just trees! The four of us managed to wrestle the cow onto the toboggan and tug it back to the truck. Wasn't too bad. Then, we used the winch on the other truck to lift the front of the toboggan while 3 of us lifted the back, and then we slid it in. We did 2 elk that way that day, but the other was probably a good 50-60 pounds less.

As for the gun selection, no doubt about it the vitals are what counts in ensuring a quick, humane kill. But looking back on the whole hunt, the 4 of us had 6.5x55, 7x64, .30-06, and a .300 Win. My elk went down quickly and the bullet was in the far shoulder. The other was shot with the .300 and 200gr handloads - the bullet went through a rib before hitting the vitals and smashing completely through the far shoulder and leaving a nice exit wound. Not that it was needed as the elk never left it's spot! I'd definitely "magnum up" before taking another elk after comparing the performance side-by-side.

________

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use a .257 on an Elk , hell I wouldn't use it period !. When I shoot something it's to KILL IT , Like DEAD !. Not run half way down around a mountain through canyons looking for a wounded animal . I prefer Humane killing quick and as painless too the animal as possible .

When animals are over 250 lb. .260 Win Mag and up are best suited for the job . .284 mag is my first choice for Elk .300 .338 depending on where and when I'm shooting !. That's my opinion .

If I had not been along on this particular hunt I would be the first to raise the BS flag !.

Montana 2006 a friend shot an Elk to rival ALL ELK !. We had to go back too town get a larger truck # 4 additional people to help move it . Along with two more ratchet come along rigs .When we finally got it to Bobs house ( he has a back hoe ) it broke the chain lifting it out of the truck.

That was shot with an 30/06 70 yd. TWICE !. It still ran 40 yd. . First shot broke skin 3" back of front leg through the heart and lung second shot was 3" from the first !.

If I had not seen him shoot and then re chamber and shoot again , I would NEVER have believed anyone could put #2 as close together in less than 1 sec. as he did . The Elk was moving after the first shot !. Practice that all you want if it ever happens in your life time consider it a gift !.

My hunting partner is NOT a trophy hunter but a freezer filler . I begged him to have it measured he refused simply saying ; then every other cowboy yaho will be up this way looking for what ever . So No measurement !.If it wasn't a record I never want to see the record holder with less than .338 Mag !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:

Believe me, not every elk I’ve been involved with has come out of the woods in one piece. Wink