THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Is the 257 Roberts an Elk round or not?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the 257 Roberts an Elk round or not?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDhunter:

I have seen/taken elk with 243, 270, 7mm RM, 30-06, 300WM, 338-06, 338 WM, 35 Whelen, & 375 H&H.
And three archery kills.
They all worked.
But, IMO, and that's all it is. The 338 and up calibers are better.

#Pick the biggest most powerful cartridge/bore that one can honestly comfortably carry &accurately shoot at the ranges ones capable of(practice might improve that),
#then procceed to getting the best bullets to deliver the most from that choice. eg; .338o6 with GScustom200gnHV projectile, will pretty much deliver same kill at the same ranges that .338win225NP is capable of.
#such an effectively loaded 8lb 33806, also delivers 85% of the recoil of an 9lb.338win.

(edited to addSmiler even if one decides to hunt with bow, use the best "projectile"/broadhead, like a premium Razorcap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My gosh, I wish this had been posted eight weeks ago. I got my niece a nice Ruger mannlicher-stocked carbine in 243 last summer, and now I find out I had ill-prepared her for killing two Mule Deer buck, one over 34" and 275lbs, and that cow elk in October...one shot apiece. As soon as spring breaks I got to run up to Council and tell 83 year old Tom Two Rivers to forchrissakes to stop killing two elk and twenty deer a year with that danged Marlin 25-36 and iron sights. I'd call him, but there ain't no electricity for about twenty miles from his place.

Definitely need to outlaw handgun and archery hunting, now that we know THE TRUTH!!!

I see hundreds of city boys come out here every fall that have only seen elk on TV shows that let me know THE WORD as written out in the slick paper magazines. If you stick a well constructed bullet, even a 6mm or 25 caliber one, thru both lungs there is not an elk ever bred that can live three minutes...unless the hunter had a greyhound for a mother and decided to run it down instead of sitting there, cracking the thermos open, and watching it get woozy, lay down, and die.

For years I used to sit on the tailgate at a check station each fall with my elk and listen to the stories...
Just a decent bull in the pickup, 315-340 class; and marvel at the cannons, and me with a 35 Remington (Contender), or the old Krag, or several I got with a 99 in 250-3000.

Some times you guys think too much.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Idaho
Nice commentary!
I've seen a lot of Elk taken with a variety of rifles, bows and muzzleloaders and I'm here to tell you that I've watched Elk take punishment from large rifles and not go down right away and I've seen'em drop on the spot from large and small rifles alike. Honestly I couldn't tell you what rifle works "best" for elk but my guess would be the one you shoot the best.
There is not an elk that walks this planet that can walk away from a heart shot or a double lung shot.
Everybody moans that the big rifles provide more margin for error when the truth be spoke people will try to make a bad situation into a "shot' when they really have no shot, I see they are more apt to do this when they are packing the "_Magnum". I personnaly feel that you should be careful with your shot on all game regardless of the caliber or title of the rifle you carry large or small.
.257 will do someone a fine job if used like any rifle should be.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
See, it's gonna be different for everyone. There are those who will tell you you need a .300 Magnum AT LEAST to kill and elk, there are those who will do it with a .243. There is no "right and wrong", it all comes down to "feel". If someone kills an elk stone cold dead with a .243, then why would they ever feel the need to use anything more? Alternately, if someone uses a .300 Magnum to drop their specimen, then the .300 is obviously and excellent elk cartridge.

In my case, just as an example, my 6.5 didn't exit, nor did the animal drop on the spot. The .300 that shot the other dropped it like no one's business and left an easily traceable exit wound that wasn't even required. So clearly, to me at least, a little more gun could have given better performance. Everyone's views will be different, I know one young hunter who won't even shoot a rifle that isn't a magnum, or my Dad who won't shoot a rifle that isn't his .30-06.

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya'll are all wrong, Elk are tough critters, they are dangerous. You are irresponsable if you use anything under a 45 calliber bullet. I use a 470 Nitro Express and it is marginal, a recent rag (magazine) editor suggested I lose the wimpy 470 withy 5,000 ft/lbs of energy and go with the 500NE... Freaking sore heads, a 243 is legal (in Colorado) and will kill an elk, get over yourself and use what you can shoot the best and be happy. Shoot behind the shoulder and hit the lungs, learn to track if you have to and enjoy. If a 9x9 jumps and runs off either track him, wait for him to stop or don't shoot unless you are sure you can make the shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
#Pick the biggest most powerful cartridge/bore that one can honestly comfortably carry &accurately shoot at the ranges ones capable of(practice might improve that),

Yes, I concur with statement 100%. Shot placement is king.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rine Everett:
Ya'll are all wrong, Elk are tough critters, they are dangerous. You are irresponsable if you use anything under a 45 calliber bullet. I use a 470 Nitro Express and it is marginal, a recent rag (magazine) editor suggested I lose the wimpy 470 withy 5,000 ft/lbs of energy and go with the 500NE... Freaking sore heads, a 243 is legal (in Colorado) and will kill an elk, get over yourself and use what you can shoot the best and be happy. Shoot behind the shoulder and hit the lungs, learn to track if you have to and enjoy. If a 9x9 jumps and runs off either track him, wait for him to stop or don't shoot unless you are sure you can make the shot.

The law in Colorado states that a legal rifle for shooting elk needs to be a 243 caliber or larger, shoot a bullet with a minimum weight of 85 grains or larger, and produce 1,000 ft pounds or higher at 100 yards.

Unfortunately they had to make that law to keep people from hunting elk with 22 Hornets, 22 LR, or BB guns.

If they had not past that law I’m sure people today on this forum would be praising the merits of the 204 Ruger as a fine elk killing round and the 257 Roberts would be over kill.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
quote:

The law in Colorado states that a legal rifle for shooting elk needs to be a 243 caliber or larger, shoot a bullet with a minimum weight of 85 grains or larger, and produce 1,000 ft pounds or higher at 100 yards.

Unfortunately they had to make that law to keep people from hunting elk with 22 Hornets, 22 LR, or BB guns.

If they had not past that law I’m sure people today on this forum would be praising the merits of the 204 Ruger as a fine elk killing round and the 257 Roberts would be over kill.

Your right there, a 204 or 22-250 would be more than adequate and the 257 would result in "too much wasted meat". Wink I like Colorados law, its clear and concise. Texas, the minimum is a centerfire rifle, so I guess a 17 Remingtom would be legal? Even to me that seams a bit light and I use a 223 as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Your right there, a 204 or 22-250 would be more than adequate and the 257 would result in "too much wasted meat". Wink I like Colorados law, its clear and concise. Texas, the minimum is a centerfire rifle, so I guess a 17 Remingtom would be legal? Even to me that seams a bit light and I use a 223 as well.

Just make sure to shoot them in the head and it'll all work out Big Grin

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
LOL Rine, Tom

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
LOL Rine, Tom

What we really need is a .151 cartridge but nobody makes bullets yet. .177 seems too big. .151 would be a good "stunt shooter" cartridge.

This post was brought to you by a Bacardi and coke on a nice warm evening.

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Chris Davis
posted Hide Post
I have used a 257 roberts for years on elk. As long as you know your gun and spend the time with it I think you can do anything with it. I knew a guy that use to kill moose with a 223, right behind the ear. Now i have a few more options in my safe so I leave it at home sometimes.

Posts: 14 | Location: Golden, Colorado | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

....Just make sure to shoot them in the head and it'll all work out Big Grin

quote:
What we really need is a .151 cartridge but nobody makes bullets yet. .177 seems too big. .151 would be a good "stunt shooter" cartridge.

TOM !!!! - YOU ARE WICKED !!!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
quote:

....Just make sure to shoot them in the head and it'll all work out Big Grin

quote:

TOM !!!! - YOU ARE WICKED !!!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Dad just had dinner with an old family friend who was in Tuscon when dad had to be in Tuscon as well...He's from the Montana side of the family and friends between Hamilton and Victor.

Got him an elk again with his .257 Ackley Improved couple weeks ago.

Don't tell hothead, mountyduck, or ireloaderize or I'm sure they'll try to have him arrested for properly and cleanly killing a game animal.

He's a ignorant bastard about this cartridge gamesmanship game especially being as his son is one of the lead Fish and Game people on the West Slope of the Bitterroots these days. I'm sure they're both idiots for using underpowered rifles.

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Actually, I am guilty of being under-gunned! I own enough gun in the form of a 303 Brit but I just love shooting my Anschutz hornet. I go shooting just so I can use it. I have been able to get it to shoot well with 60gr Hornady's (with the exposed lead tip cut off to shorten it) and with 55gr Nosler boat tail's, all to be able to hunt feral goats, for which it has enough power. I will use my 303 for red deer.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badgerone:
Just wondering what you guys think.
Mike
Hey Mike, What do you think?

Do you believe it will provide a good Exit?

Do you believe it has enough penetration from multiple angles, or is better to be used for only " 1 " type of shot - lungs?

Why is it people who have lots of Elk Killing experience "typically" move to the 300Mags and 338Mags using heavy for caliber Bullets?
-----

As can be seen in the thread, a lot of people use Marginal Cartridges and have made some Kills. No doubt about it. And some would take ANY shot offered - pitiful!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well,
Personally,I'd use one of my 7x57's with a good 160 rather than a big bellowing magnum that I'm sure I couldn't shoot well.

I just got a Bob,and just wondering what you boyz thought my limitations were.

I'm going after Elk next year.
Mike

Posts: 8 | Location: Breckenridge,Texas | Registered: 13 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badgerone:
Well,
Personally,I'd use one of my 7x57's with a good 160 ...
Hey Mike, Since you have a 7x57 and 160gr Bullets, that is what I'd go with in comparison to the 257Roberts.

One of the young fellows I taught how to Reload went Mule Deer Hunting with his 257Roberts this year and it did fine. Nice low-recoil small caliber cartridge.

Once the Off-Season comes in, the 257Roberts can be loaded for Varmints and you can probably get a lot of use out of it then. One really nice thing about the Off-Season, is you can still be out among the Game - watching them. While doing so, see how many shot opportunities you would have to pass on if you were under-armed during the Season. That will help you make up your mind easily.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I say the best elk gun is the one you're most confident in which to quickly and cleanly dispatch the timber ungulates! Confidence is key. My elk have all been shot with a 300 with factory Fail Safe bullets. If you're willing to pass up shots that are too far or a bad angle, by all means use whats legal. Personally, I like to break shoulders (both if possible!) and put that animal down ASAP. This is to avoid campfire stories like some posted here about the one you had to drag out in the dark or in 5 pieces lol. As I see it, there are 2 things that go through the average elk hunters mind - 1. "thas legal, I can make this shot" BOOM!!! 2. "ahhh hell, this is gonna be a b*tch!!"

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote