New
Find
Notify
Tools

cz royal 223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
so last night I started looking over the fine points on this new cz royal. I still don't know whether is kinda cool looking for fugly, but regardless its rather comfortable feeling. 1st thing i always to is to take the barreled action out of the stock. The test target they sent wasn't all that great and showed some vertical stringing, so investigation was warranted. The front guard screws came out easily, but the rear one i ended up having to take a wrench on the screwdriver to bust it loose. The rear screw had a pillar, but the front one did not. Evidently the rear pillar was installed to keep the depths correct, but it also let the action more or less float in the stock. Finish on this royal was much much better than any of my other cz's, especially the blueing. The design on the barrel is turned on the outside of the barrel and then the sharp lines buffed off. Rathr unique looking. Trigger is a single set, but is also fully adjustable. The bolt feels a bit rough when worked, but that seems normal for cz, and a bit of working with pumice will take care of that. Tonight I'm bedding the thing out using accraglas and a point bedding system i use that is similar to what the marines did to their match rifles. This beds the recoil lug, front and rear, and then places a couple of narrow strips along the sides of the action. This has worked well for me before. Anyway heres some pictures, cool or fugly?? you decide

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting looking rifle! What is it's purpose? The stock kinda looks like a silhouette stock. Caliber?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Butch, At first look, I kind of doubt that Stock would "fit" my Sight Alignment, but that is only a guess. Did you try it in any Positions besides Off-Hand?

My eyes are not as good as they used to be, but the 3rd flick(barrel) appears to be a bit out of focus for me. It may just be me though.

Just noticed the 2nd flick appears to have a "mounted" Big Foot in your Trophy Room. Had no idea anyone had finally gotten one. Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so i bedded the thing last night. what i did was to cut 2 small grooves in the wood under the sides of the action & fill them with glass, then cut a groove behind the rear lug and fill that, then cut 2 small grooves behind the front lug and bed the grooves, lug and about 1" of the barrel. i used a big tablespoon of glass and didn't get any overflow. seems like the wood had a bit to much clearance. In a 223 i would expect todays cz to group under an inch and the factory target was more like 2. I'll see this weekend. HC if the barrel picture was out of focus, you should see the rest of the sasquatch trophy. shocker

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Butch,

I think it looks kinda cool, but your pics are without the mag in place. The droopy forend may make it look better with the mag in place.

My cz 527/223 did not shoot to my satisfaction, so I rebarrelled and restocked. Many are very happy with the way theirs shoot out of the box, so it is likely just the one I got.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the looks of it as you'd expect from a dedicated CZ fan and I'll bet it's real accurate. You've already taken care of the real problem with em and that's their bedding (or lack there of). Let us know how it shoots.
P.S.
Nice toes! Big Grin

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Is the barrel turned or are those hammer-forging marks like Steyr barrels?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
its turned like that - never seen that before - broke it out of the stock last night and the bedding sent well, but i could have used twice the glass around the first inch of barrel, there's really quite a bit of empty space in the front of the action and beginning of the barrel.