THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Best factory ammo for a Mini 14

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best factory ammo for a Mini 14
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted
I have a friend who wants to coyote hunt with his. We were wondering if anyone has one that is accurate (1"-2" groups) with factory ammo and what that ammo is. Thanks

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy the most expensive factory ammo and hope for the best.

The .223 is just like all others, quality reloading is best.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Mini 14s I've shot or seen shot over the years were 3-4 inch rifles at 100 yards at best (haven't tried the goofy looking new one). Doesn't mean a fella can't put some hurt on a 'yote, just he's not going to shoot scruffy in the ear, at least on purpose. Start with the cheapest reliable ammo and work up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
only way to get a accurate mini 14 is to rebarrel it. i got rid of a mini 30 last sunday - you couldn't keep 5 shots in a 12" group

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I tried the cheapest first and that does not work. (Wolf shoots 7")
The best cheapest was Winchester white box ammo it wasn't bad but the Ultramax sold at Cabela's and the Black Hills is all pretty good. Black Hills ammo was better.
I haven't shot any heavier than 55 grain so I can't comment but mine does 2" groups with a flier here an there to make it 3" or 4" with decent ammo. The great thing about the mini on coyotes is you can just keep tapping that trigger no matter what the first couple shots do!
Practice keeping you sight picture thru the shot.
Good luck with yours.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
My mini is 24 years old. It loves Remington factory 55's.

Posts: 6406 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob1SG:
I have a friend who wants to coyote hunt with his. We were wondering if anyone has one that is accurate (1"-2" groups) with factory ammo and what that ammo is. Thanks

IF you find ammo that will shoot like that (1") in a Mini-14, buy as much of that lot number as you can find. For it is a rare bird.........

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote