Find
Notify
Tools

6'5x68R or 6x62 Freres
 Login/Join

<JUANRA>
posted
Hi,
Just need to know the differences between the above mentioned calibers in long distances shooting (150-200 yds). I will basically use it for roed deers, so I would appreciate some comments or preferences.
Thanks in advance,
Juan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that you rather utilize the fine 6,5 x 65 R than either of the two mentioned. It has an edge over the 6 x 62 (R) Fr�res, and is almost as powerful as the overbore 6,5 x 68 (R).
The 6,5 x 65 was especially designed for hunting situations such as you describe.

Mejores saludos del Suroeste de Alemania,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hola Juan I agree with Carcano the best it's the 6,5 x 65 R , I have not experience with the 6,5 x 68 R but the only single shot I saw it's on the heavy side for a mountain rifle.
Saludos desde el norte de Espa�a :-)

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hola Juanra,
The 6,5x68R is unnecesarily powerful for roe deer. It is heavily over bored and needs a 65cm barrel. It is also very hard on barrels.
The 6x62R is also unnecesarily powerful for roe deer but it sure kills them like lightning.
Both of them shoot flatter than Kansas, much flatter than your "long" 150 or 200 yard shots.
Be aware that some countries require a legal minimum to hunt big game which makes a 6,5 a more sensible choice, should you ever take it abroad.
My choice would be the 6,5x65R RWS as the x68 seems heading for obsolescence.
Regards.
Montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ay, que sorpresa - encontrar un filo con una mayoria de participantes espanoles :-). Parece que estamos de acuerdo sobre la 6,5 x 65 (R)...

Cuestion: hay alguien aqui quien conoce la version civil (de caza) de la MAS 36 francesa ? Soy en feliz posesion de tal una en 8 x 60 "Magnum", y estoy buscando mas informaciones.

Saludos cordiales,
Carcano

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JUANRA:
Hi,
Just need to know the differences between the above mentioned calibers in long distances shooting (150-200 yds). I will basically use it for roed deers, so I would appreciate some comments or preferences.
Thanks in advance,
Juan

Juan,

do you really need that strongly loaded cartridges for roe deer at such short distances? My humble recommendation would be a 6.5x55 Swedish or a 6.5x57(R). In my own hunting I use the latter loaded with 156 grains Norma Alaska at 735m/s, and the trajectory is flat enough for roe deer out to 200 meters. I shot my last roe for the season at 160 meters with that load and the roe just went some twenty meters after the hit in the shoulder. Very less meat was destroyed.

Best regards,

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hola Carcano , sorpresa la mia de tu conocimiento del Espa�ol :-), preguntare a un amigo sobre tu MAS , entiendo que es una version civil o deportiva del rifle militar , no el rifle militar con un ca�on 8 x 60 S .

Saludos

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Podeis ir a www.cazar.com > foros > armas y municiones ver post > sobre 6,5 x 65 R vs 270 o 7 x 65 R > buen post de JC sobre sus experiencias con estos calibres.

Saludos

Daniel

<JUANRA>
posted
Let�s come to terms, first I screwed it up making myself clear enough with the "150-200ydrs", I would better say around 300 meters shooting instead, that�s what I mean with long distances (as per my experience). Excuses for the mess.
Thanks tons for all your advises, although I like no tracing, no wondering. I�d rather dust them in blink.
On the other hand, I figure out you do know what I am looking for....
I am already wondering of getting a 6'5x68 bolt action plus stuzken rifle.
COuld it be a Mannlicher or Sauer ?!
Any other choice ?!
Your response would be strongly appreciated.
Juan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan

The R on a caliber means it have a Rand or Rim , then I think you are talking about single shots , 6,5 x 68 and a Stutzen rifle ( Barrel under 20 ") it's like a flame thrower , not efficient one , Montero hunt roe with a 5,6 x 50 R and it's enough , you need accurate rifles not powerfull ones for a small deer , and estimate the trophy quality at three hunder meters it's for me a challenge it self.

All the best
Daniel

<JUANRA>
posted
Thanks for your quick advise Daniel. I am wondering what to get, I don�t manage myself with single�s, feel kind of unconfortable with such a tinny device. I saw in GPA web a 6'5x68 picture where a guy stood with a stuzken. I do love stuzken. I finally found out Sauer manufacture this caliber in stuzken, although I know shit about the accuracy of the barrell vs caliber, do you really think it won�t work out ?!
What caliber should it work instead with stuzken�s ?!
Mil gracias,
Juan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hola , please maybe I don't understand what mean stuzken , or you mean stutzen ? , accuracy it's not a problem with a short barreled rifle , ( also it's more inherent accurate as the barrel it's more rigid than a long one ) , but you need a caliber with a powder capacity capable to be burn in a short barrel , a 6,5 x 57 could be OK with 20" , a 6,5 x 65 could be better with minimum 22" ( a very good one ) but a 6,5 x 68 needs minimum 24" or the better 26" to get the 3600 fps with 93 grains TM bullet , a classic stutzen Mannlicher it's a lovely one , also the Sauer 90 .

Saludos

Daniel

<JUANRA>
posted
Daniel,
Mil gracias por tus consejos, finalmente he decidido no optar por el 6�5x68. EL 6�5x55 tiene buena rasante por lo que dices ?!
El caso es que he estado preguntando en armerias/conocidos y me comentan que el Mannlicher caja larga da problemas de madera, que si es mucha presi�n y las paredes de la caja son muy finitas... bla bla bla. Por otro lado el plazo de entrega es la leche.
Esperar� a Ficar dentro de dos semanas y all� har� otras tantas indigaciones...
Yo disparo con un 7mm RM, estoy m�s que encantado y como no me encuentre 100% convencido, me decantar� por otro 7mm RM en Blaser R93 y listo.
Un fuerte abrazo,
Juan

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel M:
Hola Carcano , sorpresa la mia de tu conocimiento del Espa�ol :-), preguntare a un amigo sobre tu MAS , entiendo que es una version civil o deportiva del rifle militar , no el rifle militar con un ca�on 8 x 60 S .

Preciso. Se construy� en los anos quaranta y cincuenta, creo; en 7 x 54 Frances, 8 x 60 Magnum, 10,75 x 68.

Saludos
Carcano

[This message has been edited by carcano91 (edited 02-23-2002).]