New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 788 in 6mm
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently picked up a very nice 788 in 6mm at a local gun show. The barrel and bolt look pristine, it can't have been shot much.
Can anyone comment on the inherent accuracy I might expect from this gun. Also, for those who have one of these guns, can you pass along any favorite loads that have served you well.

Thanks in advance.
Hollywood

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I have a M700 BDL sporter.My favorite loads are 87gr Hornady on top of 48gr of RL 19 w/a Fed210M primer.1 1/2" 3 shot group at 300yds.100 gr Partitions atop 46gr of H4831 1/2" at 100yds.Reduce these by 10% and work up.Wish I could tell you about the 788.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those guns are sleepers. If nobody has messed it up, and you handload for it carefully, it will probably be a tack-driver. I've seen several that shot under half MOA.

Posts: 162 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: 15 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Remington 788 was a fine rifle in almost all calibers. I think it even took Remington by surprise. It was inexpensive, and a no-frills firearm, one that sold pretty well. When one shows up at a gun show it doesn't last very long. I have no idea as to why Remington
discontinued it. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hollywood: I recently went to a garage sale here in SW Montana. There was a Remington Model 788 in caliber 243 Winchester there. It had a 4 power scope on it and was very reasonably priced! I made the fellow an offer $50.00 under what he was asking and it came home with me! He said he bought it new and used it only once afield, Antelope Hunting one year in the 1970's! I believe it beacuse it is just mint metal wise with just a few mars in the wood finish! I originally offered to pass along my good deal to a friend with 4 teenagers so they could Hunt with it. He originally jumped at the chance but could not come up with the money! Times are tough here in Montana! I now have to make up my mind to gear it up (dies, brass, load development etc!) for a spare or back up Rifle and walking Varminter or sell it! I need money for an expensive scope for my new Remington 700 Sendero in caliber 270 Winchester. So I may be selling the 788! I have a box of spare 243 factory ammo and should run them through the Rifle to see how it shoots! Decisions decisions!
ALL the 788's I have seen shoot and have shot myself have been very accurate! I do not know why! They just do! I have traded in them quite a bit in the past and they resell very quickly due to their good reputation! I will venture this educated guess if you put a 4X12 variable on your 6mm and load carefully for it I bet you can shoot a 5 shot group on a calm day at or under .750" at 100 yards. Use a good appropriate bullet and the 6mm Remington can do a lot of things for you in the world of Hunting! Be sure to use enough scope power to bring out the most accuracy wise from your 788!
One 788 I wish I had back was a 30/30 Carbine Model! I would just like to have that one back to shoot some with it!
Good luck with yours!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as the 788; I think it looks like crap, its trigger really sucks, its action is like something the Commies would have made. Remington really made a piece of crap gun except for one thing! Some practical joker in the manufacturing dept kept on putting barrels on them that would rival custom barrels 5 times the cost of the Remington, that shot quarter inch groups in almost all calibers.

I have convinced a friend who has an old 788 in 22/250 with the barrel shot out, to have it rebarreled and keep it.

Much like the older Savage 110s, the actions suck, the stocks suck, the triggers suck yet some practical joker kept putting on barrels on them also that shot like a house on fire.

I bet it was probably the same guy that Remington fired from the 788 project!

Varmint guy, There is a local shop that had a 788 in 30/30 last week when I dropped in. He was asking about $495.00 for it. Shape was good, but I thought the price high.... but I know the guy who owns it will just let it set waiting for that RIGHT buyer. If you would like more info on it, email me!
Seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We use to buy the 788's for next to nothing back in the 70's and early 80's. Most shot well. Those that didn't were sanded, stroked and oiled.
(stock fitting)

Two things that come to mind: -magazines get lost easily -one had to be careful while loadin the magazine with rimmed cartridges.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too have a 788 in 6mm (and ones in 222, 7mm-08, 22-250, 22-243 Middlestead) and think it is a fine rifle. It ain't much for pretty, but it's hell for straight shooting. Try the 95 gr Nosler with 45 gr of RL22. It works well for me. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
look after that clip. I understand 6mm magazines are rare comodities. And if you want to sell it, give me a shout.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<seven17>
posted
About 20 years ago I had the foresight to buy an extra 6mm clip off the rack for my rifle. Then somewhere down the line I had the stupidity to loose one. I have watched for a spare since then but just don't feel like spending the bucks. Nice rifle in a super caliber!

one of us
posted Hide Post
788's were traditionally very accurate. Everyone I have owned shot extremely well, some took a little more "tweeking" than others but eventually they all shot and very well. The only thing I have learned it the extractors can give you the slip once in a while, no pun intended. Have a stronger spring added and generally that will take care of the problem, if it arises at all.

Good Hunting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Oh those old 788's! Mine is in 243 win. refinished stock with minor work on fit and finish. One hell of a shooter though! I have rolled prairie dogs at 250 plus yards with 70 grhp
and killed antelope later in the year with 100gr.
These rifles shoot alot better than they look.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, the Rem M-788 isn't very pretty, but nothing "out of the box" will outshoot them.
I bought one in .223 Rem in 1974 when I was in South Dakota, for $125.00 "new"! The first thing I did was to stick a 3-9X32 Bushnell scope on it.
That thing would shoot aspirin-size pebbles off the target racks at 100 yards all day.
I have shot many prairie dogs at over 300 yards, some at a measured 400 yards. Also took quite a few whitetails with it.
When I got back home to NY, my brother fell in love with it and he bought it and still carries it in his truck, year round!
These rifles are accurate regardless of caliber!

[ 07-31-2003, 06:34: Message edited by: Chuck White ]

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think they are a cheap piece of crap that on the whole shoot about as well as any guns I know of....Most I have seen had little trouble making the 1/2" mark.....

Posts: 41889 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote