New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ527FS (OK?)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm just about to order a .22 Hornet and the CZ527FS strikes my fancy. Good rifle? Worth $650? I think the full stock is really good looking, but does it effect accuracy? Any other suggestions?

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
I have one in .223. I wouldn't take $2,000 for it. Well worth the $650.
Here is a picture of the last target I shot with it from 100 yards.

You can decide for yourself if it is accurate enough. And yes, that is a three shot group.
Best of luck to you in making your decision.
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian, Thanks for your input. I really like the .22 Hornet cartridge but the rifle I had for it (77/22Hornet) wouldn't shoot. So I've been saving for another rifle. I like the looks of the CZ FS but then I liked the looks of the 77/22 too.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's my standard response to this question which rightfully comes up from time to time, valid question.
I bought a CZ Hornet to turn into a .17 Ackley Hornet. I wanted to shoot it as it was to establish a baseline before doing the work on it.
I have an Anschutz Hornet so I had boo-coo ammo loaded for it. The load is way reasonable, it chambered in the CZ fine so I grabbed a MTM box of 50, put a 6X20X40 Grand Slam Weaver on it and hit the range.
I planned on using the barrel later so I fired and cleaned a bit for break-in and lit out for the range. Oh, I tweaked it's trigger a bit first as well.
I shot a number of 5 shot groups at a hundred yards, this one's the best but but all were in my opinion stellar for any hunting rifle especially one in the CZ's price range.
Keep in mind this load was developed for another rifle, I should add however it's an accuracy load and the 40 grain V-Max seats out to far to fit the magazine.

Sorry to those that have seen this ad-nauseam.
Great Rifles!

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As to the mannlicher stock. I too think they look neat but I've never had one for just the reason your asking the question, bedding is everything in accuracy and common sense tells me a Mannlicher stock has to be tougher to bed. I also gotta be honest and tell ya that CZ doesn't go to great lengths bedding their stuff so some of em benefit greatly from a little TLC in the bedding dept.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but the rifle I had for it (77/22Hornet) wouldn't shoot

they go that way.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a few varieties of CZ's including the FS. in general they are all OK, but not outstanding. every one i have has had to be bedded, and needed it badly. they all shoot pretty well, but again nothing has reached target grade in accuracy. overall i do like them, but they do require a bit of work to bring out the best in them. For instance at the moment i'm working over a royal in 223, after bedding the best i could get it to shoot was about 1 1/4" with my favorite 55 gr load. 40's and 50 gr bullets were more in the 2-2 1/2" category. finally i settle on a load with the 69 gr nosler which is going into about 3/4". I have found this rather typical of the CZ line.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
I guess I should also mention that the three shot group I posted was with factory UMC 55 gr ammo. I am using a Leupold 3.5x10 VXIII. I have a full stock 9.3x62 cz in addition to the .223 FS. It also shoots MOA with factory S&B ammo. I bet it shoots touchers, but haven't put a scope on it yet to find out. SO maybe I have just been really lucky with my FS cz's, but I don't think so. Because I had another 9.3 FS that shot sub MOA from the bench also. None of these rifles have, or will be, bedded. They are shooting like this straight from the factory with factory loaded ammo. My situation may be unique, but I would be willing to bet if I buy another FS cz, it iwll be sub MOA also. Just my take and my .02 cents.

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Between my shooting pardner and myself I believe we have 15 or sixteen of em. I've yet to have one that with a little TLC (keep in mind the price) in the bedding dept wouldn't shoot sub-half inch to 3/4 inch before I re-barreled them. Either myself and my pardner are real lucky or butchloc is unlucky but his experience and mine are vastly different. I know butchloc is an experienced and knowledgeable shooter so this is just a difference in opinion and personal experience but at the price-point especially I do consider them an outstanding value.
They are a bit coarse in workmanship, they need bedding sometimes but we are talking about rifles that with a little shopping you can own for around 500 bucks. Plus which on occasion you run into one with fantastic wood.
Here's a 40 grain V-Max load using AA1680 out of my Fire Ball.

Here's another of the groups I shot that day with the Hornet.

Here's one out of my .223 varmint.

I do use 6X20X40 Weaver Grand Slams on all of em so I'm sure that matters and all have been broken in at least a bit as in the case of the Hornet. But this is CZ typical to me. I'm sure they make a clunker now and then but so far I guess I just been repeatedly lucky.These are all 5 shot groups at 100 yards by the way.